Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Done with kungfu, bjj for the win

Hi,

Ive been a longtime lurker, and used to post alot on MAP. And yes, ive made some really stupid posts during my stay over there.

I was a hung gar practitionner for a bit over a year and a half now.

I wouldnt say that i was very popular in the kungfu section of map. A few guidelines i came about during my kungfu training were that:

Fighting is fighting. And kungfu (hung gar in my case) is no different than any other functional martial arts.

Ive made long ass posts to present the case that forms were stand up grappling sets of techniques.

To which it meant, that any other functional martial arts actually do have it right and do train it better than what I found myself in.

It also meant that kickboxing shouldnt be frowned upon within kungfu because while you can derive striking applications from forms, it always had to come with extensive modification.

That caused some flame wars. Though they never attacked my logic, it would always be my credential for daring to say such things.

Though when jason delucia posted about the same thing before me, it didnt matter to them either. But instead theyd attack his logic (and he does a wacky sense of logic when he writes stuff).

Anyways, consequently, ive tried to gear my training to reflect that logic. Spend less time doing forms, and more time on either my conditionning (hitting the heavy bag, for example) or sparring. I was somewhat getting comfortable using some techniques from my forms (or at least my interpretation of it) in sparring.

But then my sifu basically dressed me down before class on how i need to get my attitude back in check. Somehow i was supposedly giving a bad impression to the beginners because of what i was doing during the pre or post-class period, or because my forms didnt look too intense enough, or that i wasnt doing enough of it, or that my stretching seemed lazy (considering their warm up never warmed me up, i didnt want to overstretch a cold muscle). In the end, he suggested that i come less often in the end.

Considering, that i didnt even particularly feel challenged during sparring (because alot of people didnt realize that fighting like in the movies does not work) or to progress i needed to blow some ridiculous amount of money. That blew my tolerance limit.

The following day i went to a bjj class.

And ive found really honest friendly people with skills.

And ive also found a certain degree of validation to my kungfu guidelines. I was shown a single drill triangle choke, and a scissor kick to some sort of kneelock takedown that are the exact same movements within a preying mantis and tiger form respectively.

But that being said, all the details that i got on how to make it work made it much simpler than when i was trying to reinvent the wheel.

Its been a couple of weeks now. I never went back to kungfu. I dont think theres any doubt that i left in my sifu's mind since that was our last conversation (I would say the real first conversation also). I wouldnt say my time in kungfu was a waste.

It got me in shape. I do have a standing game, but you wouldnt find it that remarkable. The deep breathing exercices i kept doing seem more apt to grappling than to striking. The low stances gave me a good base standing up ( though they ask that i go in a wrestling stance instead, which for the moment is weaker, but ill give it some time). And ill certainly miss the friends ive made, but i dont think they would have understood why i left.

To a certain extent, it prepared myself physically for bjj so i can focus on technique rather than wanting to puke.

And as odd as it gets, it plugs alot of holes within my own kungfu.

But yeah, bjj for the win.

For now, most kungfu taught today can go **** itself in all its overhyped glory.

I have also to thank bullshido for providing the necessary info to get where i'm at.

Thank you.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the dark side. There are some good KF/CMA schools out there that don't have an irrational fear of pressure testing their skills via MMA competition, but they're unfortunately few and far between.

I don't have any doubt you'll be able to apply some of your KF training in BJJ, even if it's just minor things you picked up incidentally.

Style
    _razilian _iu _itsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung fu to BJJ transitional skill #1: Coiling hands = grip breaker.

I'd work your wrestling stance. You need the mobility to gain positioning on your opponent when you're standing. Plus, if you give someone a forward leg, you'll get dumped everytime. And the sprawl >>> low kung fu stance any day.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Style
    Can't afford one yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great read, thanks for sharing.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the darkness.

Manhattan Beach, California, United States
    Style
    Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your transformation is now complete

Style
    None currently
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    For now, most kungfu taught today can go **** itself in all its overhyped glory.
    I think I found a future sig quote :)

Oh, and welcome to the dark side.

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the support.

I can now chain lightning everything in my path.

And am getting many purple/bluish blotches as indicative by the skin decay that the dark side brings forth.

(Yes, I used to be a star wars geek until I was done with watching the prequels)

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville supporting member
    Style
    Electricity, Speed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    Though when jason delucia posted about the same thing before me, it didnt matter to them either. But instead theyd attack his logic (and he does a wacky sense of logic when he writes stuff).
    Boy, if that ain't the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Delucia
    Professor X wasn't actually killed by Jean Gray; he managed to transfer his consciousness to the body of the man with no higher brain function shown at the beginning of the film.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Err, isn't that exactly what happened with Prof X?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last