Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 11:27pm

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wrestler's thoughts on trying BJJ

If youíll indulge me for a minute, hereís my experience with jiu jitsu as from a wrestling background.

When wrestling season rolled around this year, my mind and body went into wrestling mode. The problem was that there was no wrestling to be had this year. In a panic, I tried out every free week of martial arts classes I could find. Eventually I bit the bullet and paid for a month of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at a gym I really liked. I did fairly well in sparring, mainly by using illegal wrestling moves. When I called an old team mate to tell him how I was doing, he posed an interesting question: If I was using wrestling to beat jiu jitsu guys, why was I in a jiu jitsu class? The answer was that I was looking for a replacement to wrestling, and for me there is no replacement for wrestling. It had been such a big part of my life for so long, that trying to replace it with jiu jitsu would only have made me hate jiu jitsu for not being wrestling. I left the gym when my month was up, and relaxed for the rest of the season as a fan. I grew fat and lifted weights, growing to a size I could have only dreamt about in the land of cutting weight. Life was good.

After wrestling season ended I started thinking about jiu jitsu again, and whether or not to give it another shot. Thinking back to my previous experience, I realized that I had become the 300 pound ex-wrestler Iíve read so much about. If I was going to take jiu jitsu again, I was going to take it to learn jiu jitsu. My goal had changed from a need to compete to gaining skill and becoming proficient in all aspects of grappling. Maybe then Iíll think about striking. Maybe.

Iím training at a gym down the street from where I work, so that keeps my attendance up. The instructor is a purple belt, and there are a couple of blues but most of the other students are white belts. So far Iíve learned that Iím alright at getting into position from top, especially side mount. I have limited knowledge of submissions, so I try key locks from everywhere. I struggle to escape the guard, and suck from being mounted in any way, shape or form. When I have the guard I go right back to the key lock.

First thingís first. My plan is to get one decent guard pass, and a passable escape from mount. A sweep from guard would be nice too. I also need to learn how to finish the key lock from all the positions I attempt it from. Thatís four moves to work on, weíll see where it goes from there. I know I still donít have the heart to put in all the effort I did into wrestling, but maybe I can get in good enough shape to enter a tournament or two.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 2:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems to be a good approach. Four moves to perfect is quite a bit in one summer, but with practice you should get the flow of it. I was at an Erik Paulsen seminar - it lasted over 8 hours and we did nothing but the keylock from various positions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 4:52am

Style: BJJ boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loved it when some college wrestling guy came to our school for a week. he showed some great takedowns and such. he could slam most but would get subbed pretty quick. seems like a great combo

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 5:46am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not clear - are you saying moves you know but are illegal in comp. wrestling let you hand with BJJ guys or that you used wrestling moves illegal in bjj to do so?

In either case, I'd like to hear more specifics about that as the fine differences between wrestling and jiujitsu get overlooked by the layperson pretty routinely.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 7:09am

Style: bjj, judo and chinese MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you train gi or no-gi? If gi you might enjoy no-gi more.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you actually want to learn jiujitsu I would envourage you to forgoe the stupid scramble from knees and just pull guard.
    You'll learn a lot more, become less reliant on your wrestling but still be able to come back to a solid top game after a few months.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 1:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, shut up and train. If you want to learn your instructor art, learn it. If not leave. That is all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 2:23pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I'm not clear - are you saying moves you know but are illegal in comp. wrestling let you hand with BJJ guys or that you used wrestling moves illegal in bjj to do so?

In either case, I'd like to hear more specifics about that as the fine differences between wrestling and jiujitsu get overlooked by the layperson pretty routinely.
    I think he's talking about illegal wrestling moves. I train occasionally with a 240 lbs. guy with 20 or so years of wrestling experience and he never lands any traditional subs, but gets me with all sorts of fun neck cranks out of side control.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 4:52pm

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could get in position, but when it came for submissions the only things I could think to do were moves that were explicitly forbidden in wrestling competition. We train with the gi, and I really hate having to wear it. The location of the gym is just too nice, so I've just resigned to it for the time being.

They way I look at it, if grappling is taken as all fighting less striking, small joint manipulation, and dirty tricks (eye gouges, biting, etc.), then the way to determine superiority (that which would end a fight under said conditions) would be through choking someone unconscious or breaking a limb. This is the level at which Jiu Jitsu operates. By removing submissions and chokes, determining who has superiority becomes more complicated. Under these conditions, superiority can be determined by oneís ability to move an opponent against their will. This is the level in which Wrestling operates.
    The different styles add additional rules, mainly to encourage action given thier scoring system. For example, in American Folkstyle it is illegal for the top man to lock his hands while the bottom man has more then two points of contact on the ground. The idea is that it is too easy to hold someone down from this position. On the other hand, this restriction has bred different techniques that have a similar effect such as the tight waist or two on one. The international styles allow locking around the waist, but will have the competitors start from thier feet if no scoring occurs in a given period of time. I don't know enough about the rules of sport jiu jitsu to make a relevant comparison.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 6:22pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I don't agree with the guy you trained with who seemed to have a problem with you using your wrestling abilities during rolling, I agree with UpaLumpa in that you'd be well served with adopting more of a grappling mindset.
    I don't know how other gyms operate, but at the one I train at, we consider having judoka, wrestlers, shootfighters etc training with us a resource. So utilize your wrestling skills, even share what knowledge you may have if you're asked to. But at the same time, try to learn the submission game as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast