Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 9:46pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question for the ARMA and SCA folks

In kendo there are a very few targets. Two of the most common are the head and wrist.

In kendo, people often target the wrist area simply because it is the closest target.

While i realize that both SCA and ARMA rules offer a lot more targets, is there one particular area in which people focus on more than others?

Are techniques more of a snapping technique (rather than a cut) like in kendo?

What do you do when both people strike eachother at the same time?

its been about 7 years since I last saw an SCA match so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 4:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin and SCA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'll try to give my SCA-perspective. I'm afraid I'll throw in a lot of "it depends"...

Common targets. Since the combination of weapons can be a lot of things, it depends... But for fighters using sword and shield, head and just above the knee are most common targets, since the shield usually don't cover those areas without movement of the shield. For two-handed swords, the wrist area is not as common as it seems to be in kendo. Partly because the rules which say that the hands aren't a target. And partly because the cross-guard, which covers a bit more than the tsuba. Well, when I've tried the two types of swords, at least. Others may have other experiences.

Snapping or cutting? My guess is that in mostly depends on the individual fighter. But my guess is that there are more snapping, at least for the initial strikes, sort of a jab to open up for other strikes.

Striking eachother at the same time. Again, it depends. For single combat, different tournaments have different rules, but either a do-over or both lose (for example a bear-pit, the winner stays in the "pit" and fights the next in line). For group combat, both end up "dead".

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 11:24am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hands and forearms seem to get hit most often in ARMA. I like to go for the legs with a "sling" strike and have pretty good success with it. Head/neck area is another common target because it's often pretty to hit.

When we cut we cut like we were trying to actually cut through something. Our weapons are mostly to heavy to make much in the way of snap cuts and test cutting has indicated that snap cuts might not be as effective as is commonly thought.

When people hit eachother at the same time we acknowledge that that's no good for either party, maybe take a second to discuss what happened and how to avoid it, and we reset. We are not really a competitive type organization and the end goal of our sparring is to learn rather then to win anything.

My instructor was fond of having people who hit at the same time do pushups to reinforce that you don't tie, you both lose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 4:12pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on what kind of weapon you're using. Since most of my experience is made up of medieval shortsword, I can say that when you're using a short blade, you'll most likely cut arms and legs. Body and head cuts happen more often when you close the gap and grapple the opponent with your free hand.

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Historical European Fence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    The hands and forearms seem to get hit most often in ARMA. I like to go for the legs with a "sling" strike and have pretty good success with it. Head/neck area is another common target because it's often pretty to hit.

When we cut we cut like we were trying to actually cut through something. Our weapons are mostly to heavy to make much in the way of snap cuts and test cutting has indicated that snap cuts might not be as effective as is commonly thought.

When people hit eachother at the same time we acknowledge that that's no good for either party, maybe take a second to discuss what happened and how to avoid it, and we reset. We are not really a competitive type organization and the end goal of our sparring is to learn rather then to win anything.

My instructor was fond of having people who hit at the same time do pushups to reinforce that you don't tie, you both lose.
    Yep, what she said. The arms and hands do tend to take a beating, mostly because they are most likley to be in range, especially as a counter to your opponent's attack. I don't purposely target the hands much, cause I know it hurts like hell, but if they put them out there, they may get smacked. Protecting your hands is one of the most important and basic things to learn in weapon sparring IMO.
    Matt Anderson
    ARMA, Virginia Beach
    www.thearma.org

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WMA FMA MMA JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

scottish highland champ

well stabs hurt with the single stick tourniments
    so do cuts to the chest
    most of the hits have been to the leg
    arms chest
    and rarly the hands themselves
    if your really smart your gonna invest in hand protection
    you hand gets hurt its gonna put you on the side lines for the day
    awww I rembet teaching myself fma and training with a friend
    live co-op drills would last abot 1-3 min before both of us couldnt hold a stick any more
    and another thing head protection is a must!!!!!!
    elbows and knees need it as well
    depends on how hard and ruff you and your training partner want to get
    Boffer swords hurt too if you get a good shot
    well love the forum
    and anyone from oregon into WMA let me know

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 3:13pm

Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a real sword, if you're really trying to "put your man in two", then cutting with follow-through is usually the order of the day. Some styles have a "fishing-pole" type strike that aims at the head.

When a sword art is "sporterized", a certain adaptation is almost inevitable. In the case of the SCA, your primary aim is to make your blow felt through armor, elsewise it isn't "good", rather than simulating sharp blades. Kendo is the same way; if you can score wit a quick tap, then why pull the sword back for a full-blooded cut and open yourself up?