Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 2:51pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

We had an incident last night @ practice

Last night at practice (judo) a fellow showed up wanting to train, so my instructor put him with me since I am one of his highest ranking people and I have other grappling experience. So this guy and I start training and we are transitioning from stand up to a juji gatamae (cross armbar), I was his uke and we were going slow. Well the guy kept putting both legs across my chest and head and I tried to explain to him the logic of why you should place one foot against the ribs with the leg bent. Anyway this guy starts telling me how I should raise my head up between his legs becuase he had had some police/security training and this is how it should be done and so on. When I calmly tried to explain to this kid why that was not a good idea becuase it sets you up for a triangle choke he proceed to tell me I was just a green belt, not knowning my BJJ background ( circa Austin 1991), high school wrestling background, or previous Judo ( brown belt Tulsa circa 92-93), or my own LE and bouncing xprnc. No he just sets about trying to show me how little I know.
    Well, I did a dumb thing and told this guy to put me in the armbar and I would show him the escape, and guess what happened? That's right, he powered up, tried to basically snap my arm and we got into a full fledged grappling match. Anyhow I wound up on top, after I broke the armbar, and proceed to mimic reigning down blows on this kid, since he intends to fight MMA " real soon".
    So after all this, my question is, was I being an A JERK? I say yes, my instructor and fellow students have a different take. Any thoughts?:qleft5:

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You handled it pretty well, since you could have "accidently" hit him with a solid or two while you were in postition. How did he react?

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 2:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably made an impression on him and the only thing you hurt was his ego. That sounds like good going IMO, jerk or otherwise.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 2:58pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdynamite
    was I being an A JERK?

It's hard to say without actually seeing it happen, but based on your description I'd say no.

By the way, what's Muay Tha?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 3:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it tool a little fire out of his belly. I mean the kid comes into class and starts talking about all this stuff he gets into working mall security not knowing me or my instructor or any of my fellow students. I worked cluib security for around five years and I did a summer LE gig to supplement my income and I KNOW mall cops ( not disparging anyones career) don't get into that much crap. I mean hell I worked club security on 6th street in Austin and in Tulsa. Clubs with 500-1000 ppl and I did not see as much as this guy is claiming.:icon_razz

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 3:01pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since he coulda broke your arm "muscling up" if you weren't paying attention, and all you did was get a dominate position and feign false blows on him, you went light, If i was you and had your skill I woulda made him tap.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Tha is...

trying to type Muay Thai with a kid running around the room screaming DADDY! GOd I love the little guy!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, see my instructor is a laid back combat vet, who definately knows his stuff, and he knows I know my stuff as well, but I NEVER challenge him, it is just not cool. If he was a hoser I would not be there and if he does something I don't agree with I just disregard it. If I think a technique is BS I never say it. I come here and discuss it that why this palce is here right? I just don't think, even if it is MCDOJO, it is never cool to go to a school and challenge ppl just S&G's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 3:08pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    trying to type Muay Thai with a kid running around the room screaming DADDY! GOd I love the little guy!

I see. You should call it Muay Tyke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 3:09pm

Style: Hashashin.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last night at practice (judo) a fellow showed up wanting to train, so my instructor put him with me since I am one of his highest ranking people and I have other grappling experience. So this guy and I start training and we are transitioning from stand up to a juji gatamae (cross armbar), I was his uke and we were going slow. Well the guy kept putting both legs across my chest and head and I tried to explain to him the logic of why you should place one foot against the ribs with the leg bent. Anyway this guy starts telling me how I should raise my head up between his legs becuase he had had some police/security training and this is how it should be done and so on. When I calmly tried to explain to this kid why that was not a good idea becuase it sets you up for a triangle choke he proceed to tell me I was just a green belt, not knowning my BJJ background ( circa Austin 1991), high school wrestling background, or previous Judo ( brown belt Tulsa circa 92-93), or my own LE and bouncing xprnc. No he just sets about trying to show me how little I know.
    Well, I did a dumb thing and told this guy to put me in the armbar and I would show him the escape, and guess what happened? That's right, he powered up, tried to basically snap my arm and we got into a full fledged grappling match. Anyhow I wound up on top, after I broke the armbar, and proceed to mimic reigning down blows on this kid, since he intends to fight MMA " real soon".
    So after all this, my question is, was I being an A JERK? I say yes, my instructor and fellow students have a different take. Any thoughts?:qleft5:
    I don't think so. If he was cranking the armbar hard enough to hurt you, or attempt to hurt you, that's a physical attack in a training situation. It's not as if you're rolling for real, right? You were just going over a technique with someone.

I can't conscience someone messing around with someone elses' joints. I'd probably have done the same thing, except for the "mimic" blows part. Hell, I think once a submission is stable and in place, you shouldn't go to the point of pain. But I am a grappling newbie.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast