222118 Bullies, 3912 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Take it up with your instructor. Especially if you aren't a blue.
    Honestly, my opinion - screw what your instructor thinks. He gets paid to teach you a skillset, not to dictate what you do outside of his class.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Honestly, my opinion - screw what your instructor thinks. He gets paid to teach you a skillset, not to dictate what you do outside of his class.
    Ignore devil. He has the best idea about your skills and if you would do a good job.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:56am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, a better idea might be to get your instructor to run a semminar for the guy who wants you to come teach his students. Then you bring money into your school, and you dont have to worry about teaching them anything incorrectly.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 8:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greese
    Ignore devil. He has the best idea about your skills and if you would do a good job.
    Look, I understand where you're coming from. Maybe this guy isn't fit to teach anything. His instructor may know this. But I see it another way, too.

For instance, I've got several years of training, but I've only been involved with BJJ for a little over a year. I'm still a white belt. I share things that I've learned in BJJ with my non-BJJ training partners all the time. They get something out of it and it gives me a chance to practice things again myself.

I tell them the truth about where I stand in the BJJ hierarchy and I don't try to come off as an expert. I'll train with anybody, anywhere, anytime. I'll share anything I've learned. I don't allow anyone else to dictate where, how, or with whom I should train or teach. I'm capable of doing that myself.

I'm not saying it's bad to value your instructor's opinion. But what you do outside of his class is ultimately up to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 8:13am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be wary about doing this. Underqualified instructors ruin MAs. Of course one isn't going to make a difference, but too many of them running around turns in to what you see with most WC schools.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 8:17am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, you could've said, "hey, here's the phone number of BJJ instructor, he's a black belt, maybe you should as him if he'd like to give your students a seminar."

That said, you need to talk to your instructor.

And ignore devil.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 8:23am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do hope you are not getting anything out of it. If you get paid or receive some sort of benefit, that'd be dishonest IMO. If you are not, if you feel you are doing the mcdojo instructors and students a favor in showing them what BJJ is like... well, I'd recommend you run it with your instructor.

What better for them to see teh BJJ from your instructor himself? Also, there is this angle: say, you go teach/show them something, and say one of them is a retard that later says he knows BJJ because he learns it from an instructor trained by "X" (X being your instructor). Do you think your instructor would be happy?

There is such a thing called reputation. I don't think your instructor would be happy to be associated indirectly or not, accidentally or not, with crappling at all. Maybe this is an empty argument, purely theoretical, but people work hard to build their reputations - some people may take it as if it's nothing, some others would make it extremelly personal.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 8:36am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ran into a similar situation about a year ago. The gym I was going to started a grappling class one night a week. I had some BJJ experience and thought great this would be an opportunity to roll once a week. I show up to the first class and the "instructors" don't really have any idea about what they are doing beyond a couple of basic techniques. Fortunately I was the only "student" who showed up.
    Next day the owner asked if I would teach the grappling class. I turned them down. I told them that I was not qualified, and if they were interested in improving their program I could give them the number of some people who were.

To me it didn't matter if I could wipe the mat with everyone in their club, it came down to if I felt it was OK to put me in the position of authority on the subject. I was nothing more than an experienced white belt, so I was not in any way a qualified instructor and had no place teaching others.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 8:37am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the time I actually asked over on Karate Forums for advice in regards to the situation above and was told to go for it. I wasn't teaching BJJ I was teaching grappling and that made it ok.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 10:00am

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Seriously Guys! Seriously.

Do you have any other grappling experince (ie Judo, wresltling, etc.) if you do than no you are not crappling unless you try to show them BJJ exclusively. But, if BJJ is your first venture into grappling then yes you are a crappler and should not be showing anyone, anything. :laughing1
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast