Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    And good for them - I'd say have as many of them as possible get on the JJGear forum and politely make that clear to him. Since every tournament has more people than the last, if you just boycott silently it's unlikely to have much effect, since it won't be apparent you're doing so. If there's a flood of people politely stating the reasons they won't be attending until he goes to two days, though, making it clear that he's losing potential revenue, it's more likely to push him into it.
    When I posted on jjgear I remember lots of people echoing my comments. To which he generally replied "Just wait, we've got stuff lined up to take care of all of this!"
    It really was quite Irvin-esque, except that it wasn't in my inbox 5-times per day.

Unfortunately most of the people I train with are computer illiterate.

I've heard the more recent GQ-West was much better (and smaller).

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "problem" is that GQ really has the best competition.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    Three grand a day according to Cimins, but he's not the most reliable source.
    Three Grand? Is it a converted aircraft hanger or something? Does that cover all overheads? And, are judges/refs volunteers or do they get paid? If so, and you factor in those costs, having a two day event won't be the cash bonaza I was thinking it would be. Me understand more good now.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Three Grand? Is it a converted aircraft hanger or something? Does that cover all overheads? And, are judges/refs volunteers or do they get paid? If so, and you factor in those costs, having a two day event won't be the cash bonaza I was thinking it would be. Me understand more good now.
    Refs get paid, not a lot but they do. Most of the rest of the staff just help out to compete for free.

Keep in mind that the three grand figure is just what Brian told me last time I happened to ask about it. Brian is a fight promoter, and the first thing you learn about fight promoters is that they'll lie to your face more often than not.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    When I posted on jjgear I remember lots of people echoing my comments. To which he generally replied "Just wait, we've got stuff lined up to take care of all of this!"
    It really was quite Irvin-esque, except that it wasn't in my inbox 5-times per day.

Unfortunately most of the people I train with are computer illiterate.

I've heard the more recent GQ-West was much better (and smaller).
    For the November one, he genuinely did have a new place lined up, but they bailed on him without much notice so he had to go back to Marist.

Which is not to say that he won't just hand out placating bullshit and go with what's profitable (see my above post) but in that case he actually was getting a new venue, and it fell through.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know, i have competed at NAGA a few times now (and at more kung fu tournaments that i could care to remember) and i have to add this thought:

even with all its flaws, NAGA is 1000% better than any kung fu tournament i have been to. sandbaggers and stallers suck. venues suck, bad refs suck (but i have been lucky enough to have the one and only joe lauzon ref a majority of my matches so no complaints about the reffing from me.)

but it's still better run, and a better test of the skills being trained overall. also believe it or not the parents are better behaved as well.

that being said, i would LOVE to compete under the SBG rule set, it sounds like a great idea.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 1:40pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to also bring their rules for the kids division. From the site:
    Length of bout depends on age and ability (see chart below). For safety reasons once a correct position for an armlock or strangle has been achieved, the referee will immediately stop the fight without waiting for the lock to be applied fully. This allows young competitors to learn the basics of submission grappling in a safe environment.
    The rules also change the list of legal techniques for every couple years older they get. For example, the youngest (4-7) has this rule:
    Positional dominance (15 seconds in a dominant positions earns 1 point)

No submissions
    Then from 8-12, it changes to:
    Beginners: arm locks

Intermediate: arm locks and chokes
    By 16-17, the only difference from adult rules is the length of the rounds.

I can see some coaches getting huffy and puffy over refs stopping a fight before a kid taps, but I know Omega said that SoCal Pankration had the same rule with a "love it or shove it" attitude during the rules meeting, and no problems arose. The 15 seconds/1 point rule looks like a great one for that age group, and I agree with the submissions they decided to disallow for the different youth age groups.

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These rules are pretty good, everyone seem to get a fair shake. Can you see them gaining popularity and spreading?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234