Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 5:28pm

Style: Some time ago: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not a grappler but I do have an interest in general competition structures and the like, I'm a bit of a geek about them. From my perspective the SBG league rules seem pretty good.

The only problem for me is that they encourage stalling for the inferior oppoenent, however there is no system in the world that can objectivaley eliminate stalling (well, you could give 0 points for a draw but that gets seriously hairy). However, given the choice between the two grapplers, it is better for the lesser player to stall, the better grappler has the greater skills and is presented with a greater challenge. Certainley, from, an action point of view it's way better that the technically more proficient competitor is active rather them getting a couple of takedowns/position then safely stalling out the match for a win on points.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Brian banks on GQ.

Competitors are paying anywhere between 60-140 bucks a pop. That does not include merchandising (DVD sales & items at event), vendors, sponsors, etc.

Everyone wants to talk about the venue. The venue. The venue. For the last 6 years its been done at Durango High School. My wife is a PE teacher at a school in Vegas so I know EXACTLY how much that costs. It isn't what you think.

If the event goes to 2 days and even if when they go to a bigger venue (Cimmins said the next GQ would be in a new place) it won't make the impact you are thinking. It will never be perfect and allow for this mythical 30 min, sub only round robin tournaments. We compete under the inherent limitations of our sport.
    I know GQ west is what gets him through the year and run most of his other events but the fact that prior to march the last three gq's got visited by the fire marshall, the two room BS and the fact that there is nowhere to sit is ridiculous. A venue change will help on some of those things.
    Setting up the brackets in advance would help even more, plus the match card system Ralph and Charles have going (despite being dirty fucking brazillians).

Hell if Cimmins just had the kids go on a seperate day it would make a huge difference.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes! Match card system for the win!

Unfortunately it can't happen with tournaments that allow last minute registrations to maximize profits.

coughgrapplersquestcoughandmostbjjtourneyscough.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 6:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. The fact that in November ass monkeys from Vegas got through registration and weighed in before my preregistering ass even got into the buildign was further bullshit.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn assmonkeys!

(kekekeke all of Cobra Kai)

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 6:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Team trophey via flooding.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 5:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole5000
    The only problem for me is that they encourage stalling for the inferior oppoenent, however there is no system in the world that can objectivaley eliminate stalling (well, you could give 0 points for a draw but that gets seriously hairy).
    Excuse my stupidity, but why does that get hairy? If the only way to get anything is to submit your opponent you'd only see stalling to damage someone else's overall position, which should be relatively rare.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 6/06/2006 5:53am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:01am

Style: Some time ago: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Excuse my stupidity, but why does that get hairy? If the only way to get anything is to submit your opponent you'd only see stalling to damage someone else's overall position, which should be relatively rare.
    Okay, maybe not hairy but it does raise, if not philosophical issues, then at least issues about what the goal of a match is. By awarding 0 points for a draw there is no longer a distinction between losing and not-winning.

Two equally matched competitors go at it for 4 minutes and put on a master class of holds and escapes, unable to best each other, finnishing in a draw. In another match a poorly conditioned slob gets RNC'd within 2 seconds. For me, fundamentally, the first two guys have to be rewarded over the chocked out grappler, even if it sometimes means that 2 stalling twunts get undeserved match points.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    After the november grappler's quest west I know lots of people boycotting until he either gets rid of the gi brackets, gets a bigger venue or goes to two days.
    And good for them - I'd say have as many of them as possible get on the JJGear forum and politely make that clear to him. Since every tournament has more people than the last, if you just boycott silently it's unlikely to have much effect, since it won't be apparent you're doing so. If there's a flood of people politely stating the reasons they won't be attending until he goes to two days, though, making it clear that he's losing potential revenue, it's more likely to push him into it.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Everyone wants to talk about the venue. The venue. The venue. For the last 6 years its been done at Durango High School. My wife is a PE teacher at a school in Vegas so I know EXACTLY how much that costs. It isn't what you think.
    Three grand a day according to Cimins, but he's not the most reliable source.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast