Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 9:54am

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pissed off at BJJ tourny

I went to BJJ tourny last weekend to support some of our teamates who were competing. I am pissed. One of our guys 1st match was ridiculous. He went for a throw and got it(2 pts). After they landed they guy instantly bitched about the 'kick' to his ankle during the throw. Now it stayed 2-0 for awile, the guy did have a good guard. He only went for 2 subs, a kimura and a triange. He repeatedly tried these. One time our guy had his forearm in blocking the triangle from being finished. The guy started crying about his nuts! Now slams were illegal. With less than 15 secs left, our guy had the guy up as he was again going for a triangle. As he was shaking him off they went down together. The guy was no more then 8 inches off the ground. He reacted like he was hit by a train! And he got our guy DQ'd! So a guy who scored no points won a match. BS Oh, and to show this heart, or lack therof, he lost his next match and actually threw up! He was due to go agianst our guy who 'slammed' him(for 3rd place) and he declined to continue.

It gets worse. His whole team whined constantly. One of their guys got caught in a north-south choke (like Monson used in his last UFC win). Their whole team was screaming "neck crank" repeatedly. It was just sad.

I just worry about BJJ. I worry it will get so watered down it will lose it's effectiveness. Like the point sparring guys who feel they are unstoppable, winning matches this way will create false confidence. Whether you like or hate them, I remember the Gracies saying that points in BJJ tournies were a bad idea. They worried it would lead to stalling and point arguments. They said it should be like the old days, go until a tapout.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Manchester SBG runs a submission only tournament (http://www.karltanswell.co.uk/subleague/rules.html).

Would formats like this erode the positional emphasis (and hence efficacy) of BJJ in favour of constant diving for leglocks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:06am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you guy was up a against a punk.
    The guy complainin about his nuts.That's his own fault they make a piece of protective gear called a cup.He's a retard for grappling without it.And the slamm thing sounds like he knew he was losing and didn't have a chance to win and getting his opponent dqed was his only way to pull out the win.
    And the neck crank thing is bs I don't see why bbj tournies make 'em illegal.
    Sounds like that team was a bunch of picks that couldn't handle losing.

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittbull
    And the neck crank thing is bs I don't see why bbj tournies make 'em illegal.
    Because I can heal if you overcrank my arm. Moron.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:25am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was at a tournament last week where a competitor was twisted into a textbook Kimura, with the other guy on top with his leg stepped over. The guy on top applied slow, consistent pressure -- like a reasonable human being -- when the guy getting locked up suddenly shouted. The reaction? The guy on top let go -- like a reasonable human being -- figuring that the lock had gone a little too far and that injury was possible. The guy who shouted then protested that he wasn't tapping, but shouting "for power." Somehow, this was accepted and the two opponents were reset.

If I were the ref (and I were somehow as unsure about the rules as this guy), I would have at least put the guy back into a fully-sunk kimura before telling them to go at it again.

The guy who yelled? He won his division.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65
    I remember the Gracies saying that points in BJJ tournies were a bad idea. They worried it would lead to stalling and point arguments. They said it should be like the old days, go until a tapout.
    Don't know if your team has made it to Forney yet, but you might want to check out Felipe Espinoza's Dallas Jiu Jitsu Submission Tournament (http://www.dallasjiujitsu.com). During the 1st three minutes of a match, a competitor can only win by submission. Only during the last 3 minutes do points come into play. According to Felipe's stats (wouldn't be too hard to verify if you're dubious) 95% of the matches at his tourney end by submission.

After the grappling, he runs a free kickboxing smoker as well, so you can work on your standup while you're there. Email him at Coach@DallasJiuJitsu.com for info about next months event.

Dave

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBJJ Rules
    7-) When an athlete is under a submission position and he screams or say "Aļ" , will be the same as if he taps.
    A damn good rule if you ask me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:31am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supposedly the BJJ point system is used to get students to instinctively work for a more dominant position. Of course this could be exploited by a douche who wants to lay and pray, but that happens with every sport.

One possible solution for this would be to have much longer matches, but this would result in tourney's lasting forever.

The point system is a comprimise, and anyone who doesn't roll for the tap should just take up wrestling.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:33am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been slammed during tournies, and it sucks, but you have to suck it up and deal with it. If the ref doesn't step in and call it an illegal slam you just keep going. Only ego laden punks complain immediately in hopes of grabbing a win.

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 10:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about some kind of round robin with, say, 2 points for a submission and 1 for a points win?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast