223597 Bullies, 4054 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 46
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. War Wizard is offline
    War Wizard's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,152

    Posted On:
    6/05/2006 11:01pm


     Style: Judo - Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course shortcomings in rulesets and reffing are the biggest why crosstriaining is so important. You wanna be good standing up, taking down, or on the ground? Well guess what, you gotta work standing up, taking downing, and working the ground.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
  2. Lucky Seven is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    622

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 6:32am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In summary, judo pwns. It's alive and the training is highly athletic. The only flaws are some arbitary rules in place that don't seem to be there for safety, such as no changing grip to the opposite lapel for more than three seconds. That sounds a bit pointless to me.
    Welcome to the nightmare, the restrictive ruleset of Judo.
  3. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,471

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:34am

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the only complaint I would have about judo rules is it's hard to train under them and then go do an open grappling tourney.

    Most judo players would have to supplement at least a little bit (certainly with a greater number of ground only classes if nothing else)
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  4. Fitz is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 9:08am


     Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Seven
    Welcome to the nightmare, the restrictive ruleset of Judo.
    It's not really that restrictive, but it is kind of funny to hear someone during randori saying "Hey, you can't do that in competition."

    I know it is crazy talk but I'd rather train Judo mainly as a martial art and use competion and its ruleset as a sub-set of my training, not as the main focus.
  5. FictionPimp is offline

    Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 9:22am


     Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, I always tell my randori partners that I am not training for judo competitions, so if it is ok with them, i'd like to allow leg locks and other judo illegal techniques. Most people dont have a problem with it. Of course I dont go for many techs that are illegal in judo anyways.
  6. Fitz is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 10:44am


     Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Yea, I always tell my randori partners that I am not training for judo competitions, so if it is ok with them, i'd like to allow leg locks and other judo illegal techniques. Most people dont have a problem with it. Of course I dont go for many techs that are illegal in judo anyways.
    It's not even that stuff that usually get's people's Comp-dar set off, but the more minor things like grip issues, etc.

    Mongo's pretty much dead on that the more exotic stuff within the Judo curriculum that is kept out of randori and competition, including the leglocks, neck cranks, small joint manipulations and other Gene LaBelle favorites, aren't really that useful even if you allow them into your randori/competitive fighting. They're worth knowing and worth training in with knowledgeable partners, but you may find in the long run you end up back on the old reliable and acceptable techniques.more often then not.
  7. FictionPimp is offline

    Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 10:47am


     Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do have a thing for wrist control, and I get called for pistol grips a lot. Its something I've been trying to work on not doing, and I'm not sure where I picked up this 'bad' habbit. But it makes it so easy to control the arm sometimes.
  8. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 10:56am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I'm not lobbying for reform. It was a joke.
    No it wasn't. Your comments about how you hang with the higher kyu judo guys on the ground with your 3 months of bjj etc make it obvious you think you're better than you are.

    STFU about leglocks and learn to pass the guard whitebelt.
  9. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,471

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 5:59pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    It's not even that stuff that usually get's people's Comp-dar set off, but the more minor things like grip issues, etc.

    Mongo's pretty much dead on that the more exotic stuff within the Judo curriculum that is kept out of randori and competition, including the leglocks, neck cranks, small joint manipulations and other Gene LaBelle favorites, aren't really that useful even if you allow them into your randori/competitive fighting. They're worth knowing and worth training in with knowledgeable partners, but you may find in the long run you end up back on the old reliable and acceptable techniques.more often then not.

    Leglocks are awful "useful" if the other person knows them and you don't, and they're allowed.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  10. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:37pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    No it wasn't. Your comments about how you hang with the higher kyu judo guys on the ground with your 3 months of bjj etc make it obvious you think you're better than you are.

    STFU about leglocks and learn to pass the guard whitebelt.
    I'd like to ammend this with the obligatory "judo newaza still sucks"

    Thank you.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.