Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 11:01pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course shortcomings in rulesets and reffing are the biggest why crosstriaining is so important. You wanna be good standing up, taking down, or on the ground? Well guess what, you gotta work standing up, taking downing, and working the ground.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 6:32am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In summary, judo pwns. It's alive and the training is highly athletic. The only flaws are some arbitary rules in place that don't seem to be there for safety, such as no changing grip to the opposite lapel for more than three seconds. That sounds a bit pointless to me.
    Welcome to the nightmare, the restrictive ruleset of Judo.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:34am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the only complaint I would have about judo rules is it's hard to train under them and then go do an open grappling tourney.

Most judo players would have to supplement at least a little bit (certainly with a greater number of ground only classes if nothing else)
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 9:08am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Seven
    Welcome to the nightmare, the restrictive ruleset of Judo.
    It's not really that restrictive, but it is kind of funny to hear someone during randori saying "Hey, you can't do that in competition."

I know it is crazy talk but I'd rather train Judo mainly as a martial art and use competion and its ruleset as a sub-set of my training, not as the main focus.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 9:22am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, I always tell my randori partners that I am not training for judo competitions, so if it is ok with them, i'd like to allow leg locks and other judo illegal techniques. Most people dont have a problem with it. Of course I dont go for many techs that are illegal in judo anyways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 10:44am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Yea, I always tell my randori partners that I am not training for judo competitions, so if it is ok with them, i'd like to allow leg locks and other judo illegal techniques. Most people dont have a problem with it. Of course I dont go for many techs that are illegal in judo anyways.
    It's not even that stuff that usually get's people's Comp-dar set off, but the more minor things like grip issues, etc.

Mongo's pretty much dead on that the more exotic stuff within the Judo curriculum that is kept out of randori and competition, including the leglocks, neck cranks, small joint manipulations and other Gene LaBelle favorites, aren't really that useful even if you allow them into your randori/competitive fighting. They're worth knowing and worth training in with knowledgeable partners, but you may find in the long run you end up back on the old reliable and acceptable techniques.more often then not.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 10:47am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do have a thing for wrist control, and I get called for pistol grips a lot. Its something I've been trying to work on not doing, and I'm not sure where I picked up this 'bad' habbit. But it makes it so easy to control the arm sometimes.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I'm not lobbying for reform. It was a joke.
    No it wasn't. Your comments about how you hang with the higher kyu judo guys on the ground with your 3 months of bjj etc make it obvious you think you're better than you are.

STFU about leglocks and learn to pass the guard whitebelt.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 5:59pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    It's not even that stuff that usually get's people's Comp-dar set off, but the more minor things like grip issues, etc.

Mongo's pretty much dead on that the more exotic stuff within the Judo curriculum that is kept out of randori and competition, including the leglocks, neck cranks, small joint manipulations and other Gene LaBelle favorites, aren't really that useful even if you allow them into your randori/competitive fighting. They're worth knowing and worth training in with knowledgeable partners, but you may find in the long run you end up back on the old reliable and acceptable techniques.more often then not.

Leglocks are awful "useful" if the other person knows them and you don't, and they're allowed.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    No it wasn't. Your comments about how you hang with the higher kyu judo guys on the ground with your 3 months of bjj etc make it obvious you think you're better than you are.

STFU about leglocks and learn to pass the guard whitebelt.
    I'd like to ammend this with the obligatory "judo newaza still sucks"

Thank you.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast