Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 9:28am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you, but at the same time, I only practice judo to give me good throws for mma/submission grappling competitions. So I'm just as bad I supose.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 9:38am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I agree with you, but at the same time, I only practice judo to give me good throws for mma/submission grappling competitions. So I'm just as bad I supose.
    Not to my mind.

I think a utilitarian attitude towards training in Judo if it isn't your primary focus is dead on: get in there, learn what you can and then use it effectively elsewhere. I think a lot of the Shiai rules having tricked down to how randori is conducted get in the way of that kind of learning just as much as it gets in the way of someone trying to learn "Complete Judo" in Kano's sense.

I was talking to a friend about this last night: Judo's Worldwide sucess, especially its entry to the Olympics, have been its greatest strength and its main curse. Being an Olympic sport has kept Judo unified organizationally and in terms of curriculm in a way that no other pre-War Modern Japanese martial art has. At the same time a huge number of compromises were made for that to happen which have hurt more then helped the art in terms of what its founder wanted for it.

I'm bitching about a minor flaw in an otherwise remarkable diamond while many of the other arts out there are cubic ziconian set in tin foil. It's just a pet peeve.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 12:45pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    I think a utilitarian attitude towards training in Judo if it isn't your primary focus is dead on: get in there, learn what you can and then use it effectively elsewhere.
    True dat. Judo has dovetailed nicely with the Kali and BJJ stuff I am also working on. There are guys in my class (which is small, only 5 or 6 people there at the most) that do just Judo and have a blast, then there are guys like me that have a blast by combining Judo with stuff they are working on.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Exasperated.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    We need to lobby for judo reform. Bring back leglocks, spine cranks, neck cranks, head spearing, spitting, eye gouging and concealed weapons.
    I love when morons who don't know **** about grappling "lobby" for reform on what subs and types of takedowns are or are not okay for them to practice.

STFU.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 2:30pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've fallen and I can't get up!

I think a good Judo based style along with some BJJ is a good way to go (OC a little stand up). I didn't see any sutemi mentioned in your workout. One weakness I see in a lot of dojos is they teach some good throws, but no one learns how to fall. Judo is great for that. I personnally don't like hitting the ground myself, but I do love landing on people.

When you see a good throw and hear "ippon", you know that fight could have easily ended right there.

My favorite nage in no particular order:

Tomoe Nage
    Okuri Harai
    Osotogari

Outside Context Problem

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dojo is a good size. It's in a large tent-like building at olympic park. Plenty of room for the class which seems to average about 15-20 people.
    You are training at Zenbu? Morgan and his dad are great instructors, and they do spend a good amount of time on newaza. You also get the benefit of lots of international judoka and olympic competitors dropping through for training.

I loved judo for the brief period that I trained in it, but I just don't have the time to train regularly with everything else. If I do get the time, I'll drop in for a session.

I do feel a bit like a fucking target, though, going in with a BJJ gi with patches.

All Out of Bubblegum

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 7:11pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches!

Sorry. I don't know what came over me.

If I had to pick a thing from judo that needed reform, I'd say ippon is called too casually. It makes a tournament quite a bit different from class for me. Other then that, I like it. Bunches.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a lot of people who bitch and moan about leg locks and spine cranks and all that **** but I like the fact that there isn't a lot of them. Even BJJers in gi fighting tend to stick to the simple submissions that are also possible in Judo.

Judo's major weakness is not in the rules as much as it is in how the rules are applied. Many refs are not 'fluent' in ground work and thus call matte too quickly. This can be said of almost any reffed fighting sport, BJJ guys are always bitching about guys getting points for attempted subs that are complete bullshit. Its just the nature of being reffed by a less than competent practicioner (it happens).

The fact is, BJJ, Wresling, Sambo and Judo have tons of rules because of the way competitions are to be structured and the format of what the fights are to look like. It would be in a grapplers best interest to a least try out each format and learn from the situation.

And Umpa's right.

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 9:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not lobbying for reform. It was a joke.

Morgan's dad demonstrated a hold-down on me and it was like
    having a truck parked on top of you.

It would be great if you dropped in Gravious, havn't met any bullies face to face yet.
    If we spar it might look like that I'm uncoordinated and unskilled but that's only becuase
    I'm forced to hold back on my most d34dly techniques which would end the fight in seconds.

Interesting note; I do better at the groundwork than standing even though I have spent most of my martial arts time doing standing grappling. That goes to show:

6 years LARPing < 6 months (inconsistant) alive BJJ.
    Last edited by Virus; 6/05/2006 9:37pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 9:29pm

Style: Tenchu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriosly, let's hear your reasons why judo pwns.
    Two reasons.
    1. That funny little sound your uke makes when you land on his chest after soto makki komi.

2. Everyone would make fun of Krotty Gene LeBell in a pink gi.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast