223881 Bullies, 3468 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What is this exactly?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • MAP Muay Thai

5 50.00%
  • Traditional Martial Art

3 30.00%
  • Its Muay Thai you jackhole, RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!

2 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2006 11:39pm

Style: Aunkai, Tokyo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thought I'd elaborate on Ddlr's post.

It's actually just expressing a concept not a tehnique.
    I'm not sure if they were thinking this far when demoing it, but the "prayer" position generally expresses balancing up and down forces, which you "compress" to the middle (the start of the prayer position).
    All techniques you do regardless of shape are supposed to contain this. Its simple (actually not so simple hehe) efficient biomechanics.
    It's the difference between using brute force and an unconnected body to do the job, vs a well connected/well trained body to generate extremely efficient force based on the bodies desire to remain in balance.

The guy over here in Japan at Aunkai does a similar demo. Only, he knocks you on your ass when you do it (regardless of the person's size) :)

PS
    The guy doing the demo sucked ass tho.
    And I'll bet he would be knocked out by the "false" muay thai fighters you see in the ring.
    Last edited by Upyu; 6/04/2006 11:43pm at .

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 12:03am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen one of these "traditional muay thai" videos that showcased any actual sparring.

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 1:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH i know what it is, Sawaddee means greeting or hello in Thai so that must mean that its like if someone attacked you while you were greeting them. So its like self defence when your greeting.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    I think that this clip demonstrates a series of self defense techniques taking intelligent advantage of a posture that is ubiquitous in Thai culture.

Going by the information on the website, Muay Thai Chaiya is a traditional (pre-Western boxing influence) form of Thai martial art. The "prayer stance" is typical of many predominantly Buddhist countries and is performed habitually when thanking someone, asking for something, showing respect, offering an apology, greeting, bidding someone farewell, etc. It also happens to offer a tactical advantage if the person you're talking to suddenly attacks you, which is (I suspect) what is being demonstrated in the video clip.

By pressing both hands together you create a triangle shaped wedge that is much stronger than a single-armed block - as in the double-forearm block. The position of the hands, arms, head and torso in "prayer position" also offers a great way to interrupt an attacker's movement while keeping the defender well covered.

This "hidden" form of guard stance also makes a great deal of sense from a legal/eyewitness point of view. If the defender was to square off against the attacker in a typical Thai boxing stance, then onlookers would see two men about to fight, and the opponent could claim that he was startled or felt threatened by the defender's stance. If the defender assumes a prayer position, the onlookers will see one man threatening another who is trying to apologise or show respect. It's just smart tactics.

This is tH3 c0rR3cT

Many Buddhist arts have the same techniques. In Japan its called ogamite and I seen thos exact same techniques used in various Ryukyu and Japanese arts.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 5:05pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well covered unless they drop an elbow to the back of your head...oh wait this isn't a defence against Muay Thai.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess there are enough people in thailand that do muay thai that you'd have to worry about a round kick on the street
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I guess there are enough people in thailand that do muay thai that you'd have to worry about a round kick on the street
    I'd probably be a little more worried about a knife then an incoming roundhouse.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worry about BOTH, and third legs! Fucking Thais!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 5:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Worry about BOTH, and third legs! Fucking Thais!!!
    Ahem. The Double Roundhouse kick involving the third leg can only be performed by Native Americans. Thai's can only perform the dreaded Knee & Poke.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12