Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/22/2002 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are the "PrideFC" rules right? I like those a little better.

* Small joint manipulation.

I am pretty sure this includes the wrist. I have never seen any kind of wrist lock on a UFC tape. It is very hard for doctors to fully repair a broken wrist. It is a safety issue.

Then again, these are the current rules. Even groin attacks were legal in the early UFC tournaments so someone may have used a wrist lock back then - but I have never seen it done in a UFC.

* Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.

Some Judo throws can be converted to their original battle versions, the head was slammed into the ground istead of the opponant landing on his back. There are Greco-Roman throws like this as well.

* Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.

I think this means that they tell the guys backstage to win but not to try to intentionally damage their opponants. Hurt them but do not break their knee or do severe damage.. they want their stars back for the next pay per view event.

It could mean that they just don't want excessive violence or rude behavior .. but i am pretty sure they tell the guys backstage not to come out with the intention of crippling someone.

It takes a lot more skill to control an opponant without severely damaging him - but it isn't total realism. I don't think we can ask for total realism. We aren't in ancient Rome.

>> I have also read somewhere the accessories vary according to technique (one must kick barefooted and box only with gloves etc.) is it true ?

Yes, the gloves are meant to protect the fighters from hurting their knuckles - but also - the gloves severely hinder attacks on cavities like the temple, underneath the ear or even the solar plexus properly. They aren't as bad as big boxing gloves though - at least you can still grab.

I agree that the rules kind of put a slant on what is effective. I also feel that the participants are told not to use techniques that could break a knee or neck or something. The UFC already has problems remaining legal.

>> To be bound by traditional martial art style or styles is the way of the mindless, enslaved martial artist, but to be inspired by the traditional martial art and to achieve further heights is the way of genius. - Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2002 8:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for the education

Amir

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    8/25/2002 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been grappling a long time now man. Wrist locks are pretty hard to get. You almost NEVER see them when your rolling hard.

"Do not become entranced by impractical or useless movements. Do not be categorized as one who "Learns all there is to know about less and less until he ends up learning everything there is to know about nothing." -Ed Parker
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    8/25/2002 12:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I want to know is why Pride isn't allowing elbow attacks to the head, and if ankle locks are allowed... It would seem the pride no elbow rule is a holdback from Kyoukoshin (obvousily they had to allow punching to the head), or for safety, but the UFC allows elbows.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
  5. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/25/2002 6:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have the leverage on the ground to pull out of a submission wrist lock yea - but if you aren't using it as a submission move and just using it to crank hard and injure someone then you can apply it really quick and hurt the arm. You can grab some poor guy's wrist while he is in the guard and he is shoving his hand up to your face to block a strike - then twist it fast and hard and break it. It wouldn't win the fight right then but it would make it easier to win it - his wrist could be broken. He isn't going to put you in an arm bar with a broken wrist.

This would get you dissqualified in most of the grappling you've been doing for this "long time" - so the fact that you haven't done it just means you weren't thrown out of your matches for hurting a guy's arm on purpose. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. Think outside the box a little.

>> To be bound by traditional martial art style or styles is the way of the mindless, enslaved martial artist, but to be inspired by the traditional martial art and to achieve further heights is the way of genius. - Bruce Lee
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12