Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2003 11:49am

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Turn Overs.

Does anyone have any good turn overs that work on large oppenents?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2003 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it was more of a Judo question, well thats the reason I asked it anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2003 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh sorry. Could you move it to General MA? Or should I start the same thread again?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2003 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like apple.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    5/18/2003 7:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But we can all agree the fall turnover is far more significant.

HEY! YOUR WIFE IS UGLIER THAN ANY UGLY PIG!!!
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2003 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The turnover depends on the position of your opponent. I'm going to assume you're asking about sweeping and not submissions and that the opponent is starting on top.

From my experience, the worst situation is when a large guy gets side control -it allows them to smush you with all their weight and they can keep their centre of gravity low. You really have to make sure you prevent the move from being set well (don't get flat on your back, keep your arms tucked in, etc). Then you can try pushing on your opponent's neck and hip to shrimp and get some space. From there, if you can tuck your head in, you can try to control the legs and push perpendicular to your opponent for the takedown. Alternatively, once you get some space, get your shin(s) in and try to gain control (eg with butterfly or guard).

I'm not super strong so I personally hate being on the bottom even if I have the butterfly or guard. My opponent can usually pass butterfly by jamming my feet close to my ass (he sits in close and traps the legs with his arms) and then pushing down on a leg or by jamming and flipping over my legs into side control. Often the big guys are so big that my guard isn't tight so they just posture and break it. I prefer shrimping out and taking my opponent's back for a choke.

Often your opponent will try to control your head by putting their arm under your neck - you can use that to your advantage by hooking the leg on the same side as the opponent's arm under your head or by pulling your opponent's free arm behind him for the sweep. Typically, you want to break your opponent's base (or his ability to base) and get him off balance.

If you end up with the opponent in your guard, you can try to scissor-sweep. Drop your shin to his belly with your foot hooking his side, use your other leg to sweep along the floor, pull you opponent towards you to get him off balance, and move your legs like scissors. Watch out for him collapsing onto your legs - there's a counter to every move. Or you could try cross-grabbing the opponent's arm and doing a hip-bump. Base with your free arm behind you and turn your body so that you bump your opponent off balance (hence the name) and end up looking behind you - then take control.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2003 5:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only one that I have thus far managed to get to work is when they are in the "ass rape position", thats also called the Turtle right? Is to grab there Gi from underneath, pull it towards me then push into there side with my shoulder.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2003 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another way you can flip turtle:

Get your hooks in - control your opponents leg with your feet - and then go for a "motorcycle" grip. Reach under the opponent's arm pit and over their forearm and grab the top of their wrist. Then pull and lean over to the grip side to turn them over - maintaining your hooks so they can't escape - then go for a choke.