OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Now this I don't get.

The following are several arguments against BJJ as an effective self-defense system:

1) Few BJJers train takedowns consistently, and even fewer train strikes. While many schools focus primarily on the gi, the number wearing the gi as they train strikes is almost nonexistant.

1b) Many techniques in sport BJJ are absolutely worthless in self-defense due to the high probability of strikes or slams. While with some techniques this may be obvious, many fall under a gray area and the risk/reward ratio can only be determined by training strikes with grappling.

2) While the focus on relaxation in technique and while rolling is no doubt a positive thing, many BJJ players become too passive, or too reliant off fighting from their back. Given that most street fights are short, explosive endeavors, it could be argued that aggression is just as, if not more important than relaxation.

3) Although BJJ prides itself on training with aliveness, and though BJJ has a very thorough self-defense curriculum, these two points seldom intersect. Most BJJ self-defense techniques are relegated to drilling and are not subject to the same pressure-testing as more sport-oriented moves.

3b) The self-defense curriculum, for the most part, sucks balls.

Here are several more:

4) BJJ doesn't train eye-gouging, pinching, or biting.

5) Concrete makes performing some moves painful.

6) If you try to box with a person in a street fight, they will engage you in Marquis of Queensbury rules. However, the instant you begin to grapple they will pull out a knife and shiv you.

7) BJJers are trained to pull guard when in the presence of multiple armed thugs.

We have had, in our long and storied history, approximately eighty gazillion Street v. Sport threads, BJJ v. Reality threads. In almost none of them have the first set of questions, the ones that actually have some validity, been brought up. Why?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had thoughts on 1) for a while now. I want to see MMA with the gi on exclusively.

That being said, the only thing the gi really offers is something to grab while you punch (thug style), helps with clinch, some throws, and techniques on the ground. It won't make or break you if you know what the hell you're doing.

So there's really no striking value in wearing a gi.

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    I've had thoughts on 1) for a while now. I want to see MMA with the gi on exclusively.

That being said, the only thing the gi really offers is something to grab while you punch (thug style), helps with clinch, some throws, and techniques on the ground. It won't make or break you if you know what the hell you're doing.

So there's really no striking value in wearing a gi.
    I'd love to see MMA with gi. Might make judo the choice for clinch work rather than greco or freestyle wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:18pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There used to be alot more gi's in the UFC... I wonder why they all disappeared...

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're only allowed to wear shorts in the UFC
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:24pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC dudes like to show off their muscles....Or the the lack of a gi makes it harder to grab them. Maybe they want to be like the WWF(E) guys.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:25pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or that

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sometimes people wear gi's in PRIDE, but it doesn't really seem like a great idea to me. I saw one fight (can't remember the fighter's name) where the guy was getting really hot from his gi and tried taking it off during the fight, and while doing so got clocked and lost the fight.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:34pm

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What happend to that karate vid that had the weard helmets on. It was on about a month or two ago. It was full contact with face shots, thows and arm bars, etc. It was a high light vid...

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be all for MMA with a gi on. I'm sure you'd see more Judo and hockey fight style techniques. Plus the generaly more advanced guard techniques that a gi allows. Still not all the hi-tech sport BJJ stuff though.

Put the heavier padded MMA training gloves on that are now available and train the real RBSD. The gloves allow harder striking while still allowing grabbing. Add a gi for clothing. Add training weapons and its MMA for the str33t! There are people already doing this.
    Last edited by RoninPimp; 6/03/2006 9:41pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast