Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 2:41pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe roberts actually said WT is for the street. I'll take the MMA arts for the street anyday.

thats what my mma teacher who also teaches WT said, i myself would be more confident with mma in a street fight. Mabye he ment because it uses eye pokes etc ??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 2:51pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My tiger forms has a scissor kick.

I learned the scissor kick takedown in my first class of bjj.

A preying mantis, as well as the drunken form that ive seen has the same triangle choke single drill ive been taught in my first class of bjj.

so i dunno, these movements kinda seem kinda popular in bjj...
    Last edited by MartialArtN00b; 6/05/2006 2:52pm at . Reason: clarification

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 2:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    Pointyshinyburn, that is from my own training and my own interpretation of the form.

Now drunken as a system is unheard of. But a drunken form is not. I have seen it performed frequently (it was an advanced form, so i did not learn it)

Now people would say that jackie chan invented it, but that doesnt make sense. As it wouldnt count the drunken sequence in the tiger&crane form. Which at least is as old as wong fei hung.

Unfortunately, i think jackie's work is the sole basis for people nowadays on it.

Its also quite obvious that youre not going to get a working ground game by just doing the form. But thats what the form is, a set of independant techniques chained togehter. Unless, youd rather interpret is as useless junk which it is to a certain degree.

To a certain degree, many animal forms also has techniques performed on the ground such as tiger, snake or preying mantis (from those ive seen/learned). But the sequence performed on the ground would be negligeable compared to the amount spent standing up.

As an example ,some people think a tiger form is all about the tiger fist and its mentality. But you dont need a form to learn that, nor are you trying to act like a tiger. Youre trying to accomplish what a tiger normally does to its prey. Bring him down and then choke him out. Its a subtle difference but important enough. One you think you're a psychotic furry, the other has an actual reality-based goal and technique behind it.

Ill be honest, its not a popular viewpoint or interpretation. But sifus of today talk about researching the apps of their own forms (and like dummies they look inward), and its quite obvious they couldnt fight so great by the 1950s already (crane vs taichi master video). So are we to trust that they had the real kungfu worthy of transmission (crappy fighter --> crappy fighter-> ... -> crappy fighter )?

If you want more historical basis on my interpretation, is it fake.

Soldiers showed their techniques to the shaolin monks who then systemized it. (and i would take from chinese painting, the soldiers werent the meat shield wearing only their underpants, but the soldiers wearing heavy armor from toe to head.)
    Japan and China had at least a century of trade relations before they closed off their borders. Japanese jujutsu spawned off with the idea of when youve lost your weapon (from 'mastering jutjitsu').

And lets assume that chinese officers were men of their times, and had the same problem. I dont think tiger claw/crane fist/leopard fist the chain mail or iron helmet was the best solution they came up with.

Disagree if you will, i changed style because i was sick of pushing a viewpoint of "kungfu as based in reality but trained in a poetic fashion" to people wanting it to keep to movie-fu grade.
    First off don't lecture people when you take your first foray out of newbietown. Telling me and others about soldiers is stupid. Many of us knew this long before the above rant.

The fact you go on a lecture about a Drunken ground fighting form, then launch into a history of Chinese Fighting suggests that you think we are neophytes.

You need to drop any preconceived notions of what you HEARD about Bullshido. You need to realize there are people here with more knowledge than you in kung fu and other arts. We drop the bullshit.

Second there are drunken styles and drunken forms. Make sure you understand that your limited exposure is not the total of all arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 3:03pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They taught you a scissor kick takedown in your first class of BJJ? hehe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 3:04pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    First off don't lecture people when you take your first foray out of newbietown. Telling me and others about soldiers is stupid. Many of us knew this long before the above rant.

The fact you go on a lecture about a Drunken ground fighting form, then launch into a history of Chinese Fighting suggests that you think we are neophytes.

You need to drop any preconceived notions of what you HEARD about Bullshido. You need to realize there are people here with more knowledge than you in kung fu and other arts. We drop the bullshit.

Second there are drunken styles and drunken forms. Make sure you understand that your limited exposure is not the total of all arts.
    okay then.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 3:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    okay then.
    Just do research. If you really quit KF because of BS that is great. That is why I quit my school. Also, don't think everything you learned is fact. Research everything, I still make historical mistakes according to what I was taught.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2006 3:38pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a historical mistake..
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112