Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:07pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Real Kung Fu...it is possible.

Hello everyone.

Well, Iím hailing from NYC and yes, from another MA forum as well. While Iíll be discovered shortly, itís a pretty popular forum to say the least, so Iíll leave that well enough alone for now.

Iíve been practicing Southern Shaolin for about 11 years now and for about the past 6 years, have been questioning, refining and adapting to the realities of combat from varying degrees.

While I realize that philosophies and traditionalism are greatly frowned upon on here, I just want to express that my main aim is to help evolve Chinese Martial Arts in any way that I possibly can. So even now, Iím getting opportunities to train with other MMAers and BJJers of different sorts.

With that said, Iím a very strong believer in the ďold schoolĒ ways of thinking. This doesnít mean to focus solely on tradition, lineage and similar elements that only serve as an academic benefit. That has its purpose, no doubt. But in consistent testing, refining and evolving oneís Fist for the future. Which obviously means, sparring constantly and testing, testing, testing to make theories proven fact. The original roots and foundations that make up Chinese Martial Arts before theyíve diluted into theÖmess that exists today.

A brief background: my mother-base Fist is in Southern Dragon from my original 5 Animal origins. Also, Shuai Chiao, Baji, Chin Na and Northern Shaolin concepts. Iím more grappling biased though, so Chin Na from standing and ground practices are more my favorite.

Fortunately, by the grace of God, my Sifu was a psycho rough-houser, from back in the Bronxís 1980ís era. So we were ďblessedĒ learning ďwhat works, what doesnít workĒ on a consistent basis.

Anyhow, itís good to be here. Judging from the rampant pools of cynicism on these forums, I can see that this will be really interesting indeed.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any video?

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good kung fu is possible, but so is winning the lottery on the same day you suffer from a spontaneous mutation that enlarges your penis.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:11pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main problem with "Kung Fu" is its attraction to exotic, low-no percentage techniques and ineffecient movement under the assumption that if you train in them long enough (usually through forms or compliant partner drills), you'll be able to pull them off in a real fight.

But unfortunately, when they're tested in non-stop, full contact sparring, they often resemble little more than crappy kickboxing. This is because there are only so many ways one can strike another person, and almost every single one of them is used in kickboxing or other combat sports.

So what does "real" kung fu look like? Watch Cung Le. If you're not training to strike like he does, you're probably just performing a choreographed, sinophilistic, masturbatory exercise.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually quite a lot of 'real' kung fu involves less jumping around and high kicking than he manages to pull off, but I take your point.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

software engineer

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    Well, Iím hailing from NYC and yes, from another MA forum as well. While Iíll be discovered shortly, itís a pretty popular forum to say the least, so Iíll leave that well enough alone for now.

Anyhow, itís good to be here. Judging from the rampant pools of cynicism on these forums, I can see that this will be really interesting indeed.
    There's nothing wrong with coming out and laying your biases on the table. If you're honest about who you are, people cannot attack you for that. Hiding it is a much shadier move.

As for real kung fu, I believe in it, but I have yet to see it happen in the UFC. What I'm looking for is a kung fu based low percentage move, ala flying knee or spinning backfist, but from a kung fu style. Maybe a close range stomping elbow to the body?
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    As for real kung fu, I believe in it, but I have yet to see it happen in the UFC. What I'm looking for is a kung fu based low percentage move, ala flying knee or spinning backfist, but from a kung fu style. Maybe a close range stomping elbow to the body?
    Got Lotus Sweep ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Actually quite a lot of 'real' kung fu involves less jumping around and high kicking than he manages to pull off, but I take your point.

My style of muay thai involves a lot of jumping around these days. Unfortunately, Kat's style involves the deadly mortal kombat sweep.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion

That sweep at the start of the video is one I've been trying to get off on people ever since I first saw Buakaw using it in all his fights.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General advice: remember it isn't so important what you call your technique. I think if you spend too much time thinking in terms of one system (i.e. caring if something is specifically "kung fu" or not) or another you're just wasting mental energy.
    ďnobody shoots anybody in the face unless youíre a hit man or a video gamer.Ē - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast