Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 3:24am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecifer
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm gonna be in Portland this weekend Oscar, so can't make it but would love to drop in at to Aaron's(maybe next weekend?), I'll send you a PM next weekend to see what the best time to drop in might be.
    Aaron's out of town for the Sambo camp, so won't be around this Sunday. I'll be in possibly Mon or Wed next week.

You'll want to show up when he's there the first time.

I have some spasm in my hip messing up my back, so not sure what day I can go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 4:58am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't vouch for Marcelo Alonso's place in Seattle, but I can vouch that he produces good students. Frostbite Vale Tudo in Fairbanks is an Alonso affiliate through our instructor, a purple belt through Alonso. He is very skilled, especially considering he performs extremely well against a coupleof the other purples here (military at one of the post or base here) who are in the 175-195 pound range and he is around 155. I know some of the guys here have met Marcelo, as he comes up for promotions and seminars at the gym and many of them go down to Seattle for promotions too. They all speak very highly of him and his skill, as well as the students who come with or train with them when they go down there. I wish I had the money, personally, to go down there a couple times a year to train, as their comments about him are very encouraging. Maybe one of these days.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would throw out a vote for Marcelo's as well as I've seen the quality of their students but I can't fully, not for the Puyallup location at least. The only reason being the price and the schedule. A few years back I was looking into it and it was about 115 a month for only 2 classes a week. I'm not sure what the price is now but I'm sure there are some other members who can shed light on this.

For those that are closer to Kent or are willing to make the drive there (military types and whatnot) I would suggest Foster BJJ:

http://www.fosterbjj.com/

You can click on the links and find the full class schedule as well as pricing. Considering the amount of training you will get for the price, it is worth it. I trained with him back in 2004 when he was a purple and received his brown. It was well worth the time I spent there.

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 12:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, this is a good thread. So I did some research over the summer looking for a good grappling school here in seattle after i moved here to go to school. Gracie Barra in Ballard and Seattle, and Marcelo Alonso were the first ones to pop up on google. After some deliberation, decided to go with GB seattle, under Rodrigo Lopez. Great people, good atmosphere, plenty of rolling. One thing I like about it- no jaw-jacking, and the egos get left at the door. Not only that, but the place is huge with plenty of people to roll with, and it is actually fairly inexpensive in comparison to other places- I was surprised.

So, I've been there a month, and the dojo is being moved to another part of the Tully's building, so i decided to go check out Marcelo's place again because they have stand up as part of their curriculum, and it's closer to where I live. Marcelo is the ****. He is hands on and funny as hell. The atmosphere of the class is very straight forward, and I could see even in the short time I was there his attention to detail. I stayed for the striking class which seemed pretty good, though I don't have a lot of exp. with it. So then he lays the prices on me... ... ...

By no means am I saying one school is better than the other. If you do the research, you will find that Marcelo has been a part of BJJ for a very long time and has trained many fighters. It's too bad the tuition is so high because I'd love to train there, but student loans will not cover it- and I don't like top ramen that much.

Has anyone had any bad experiences at either school? Not to start any ****, but when I mentioned to Marcelo where I'd been training, he didn't have much to say...

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:33am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So this is like a year old, guy.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 5:56am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    So this is like a year old, guy.
    The last response was only about 2 months ago... Does that count as thread necromancy?

In other concerns, SFGOON, do you train Systema with Brian, Taki and Curt? If so, I look forward to meeting you when I get home. I've done a little work with them, and I plan on returning when I get back from Iraq (late January).

Until then...

:qleft3:

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ.mcready
    yeah, this is a good thread. So I did some research over the summer looking for a good grappling school here in seattle after i moved here to go to school. Gracie Barra in Ballard and Seattle, and Marcelo Alonso were the first ones to pop up on google. After some deliberation, decided to go with GB seattle, under Rodrigo Lopez. Great people, good atmosphere, plenty of rolling. One thing I like about it- no jaw-jacking, and the egos get left at the door. Not only that, but the place is huge with plenty of people to roll with, and it is actually fairly inexpensive in comparison to other places- I was surprised.

So, I've been there a month, and the dojo is being moved to another part of the Tully's building, so i decided to go check out Marcelo's place again because they have stand up as part of their curriculum, and it's closer to where I live. Marcelo is the ****. He is hands on and funny as hell. The atmosphere of the class is very straight forward, and I could see even in the short time I was there his attention to detail. I stayed for the striking class which seemed pretty good, though I don't have a lot of exp. with it. So then he lays the prices on me... ... ...

By no means am I saying one school is better than the other. If you do the research, you will find that Marcelo has been a part of BJJ for a very long time and has trained many fighters. It's too bad the tuition is so high because I'd love to train there, but student loans will not cover it- and I don't like top ramen that much.

Has anyone had any bad experiences at either school? Not to start any ****, but when I mentioned to Marcelo where I'd been training, he didn't have much to say...
    I know a guy who is a really good blue belt who trains at Marcelo. I know a really good brown (probably black by now) from Gracie Barra who came up to our school (Gracie Barra Bellingham) and trained with us. There is great Jits at both places. I can't speak for Marcelo but I'm pretty sure he has lost or missed out on chances for students because of those prices. His school in Puyallup (near Tacoma) only had two classes a week and they were charging about 115.00 bucks a month (give or take, it was about 3 year ago when I last checked).

The fact is that price is a big factor especially in Seattle which not only 3 BJJ schools that I know of (Gracie Barra, Marcelo Alonso, and Seattle BJJ) along with a highly recommended JJJ place, Ivan Salaverry's(sp?) MMA gym, etc, etc, etc. When it comes down to it, people are going to go with the place that gives them more bang for their buck. As for Marcelo being quiet when you told him were you trained; there seems to be this thing in BJJ about people training at more then one BJJ school. There was a thread here about it. Me personally, I look at it like this; I pay my money, I'm allowed to purchase whatever and how many of whatever product I want. But that's just me...

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 6:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I look at it like this; I pay my money, I'm allowed to purchase whatever and how many of whatever product I want. But that's just me...
    I agree. It's not like I'm trying to be a gym whore, i just want to get the most for my money. Marcelo's statistics are very impressive, but i ain't gonna pay $150 a month (3 month auto-debit) when i can go across town for much less... I JUST WANT TO ROLL GD IT!!! :lol:

I remember when I went over to Team Quest for a session once a couple years ago, and their prices were astronomical too. Kinda sucks for those of us who just train for fun, but they gotta make a living too... *shrug*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 6:51pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does the $150 a month give you? I pay $130 a month for 5 days of training per week but I live in a really poor area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 7:38pm

Style: PLUR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad to see that people are posting to this thread again. I wasn't sure if I was aloud to do that.

Hey, does anyone here train north of Seattle? Like the Bothell/Everett area? I just started training at the Charlie's Combat Club www.charliescombatclub.com in Everett. I don't know anyone who trains there, but I do see their guys in a lot of MMA Matches. Any feedback on them?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast