supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    can you explain the dork test?

Dork test:
    • going at it for the wrong reasons.
    • some degree of stereotypical "girly man" fighting.
    • Mullet.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 2:48pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow
    I said "just because Porsche spoke it". The implication there being that the person doing so has no other reason to learn it.

But back on track...

Those "ridiculous" things are just what you seemed to be advocating when talking about "historical" and "cultural" things. I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me. But martial artists do this sort of thing all the time: obsess over lineage (the meaningless details of Ford's life), wear traditional clothing (dress like Ford did), put effort into learning aspects of a culture that is not the one they are living in (learning German JUST because Porsche spoke it). None of which have anything to do with fighting.
    Well unless we're reading a completely different post, I believe that I've already given my definitions of what I meant by appreciating and recognizing the cultures behind a respective martial art. Again, are you reading what I've written, or are you just generalizing me with everyone else?

Not for nothing, but if you practice Muay Thai, are you an idiot for wearing similar shorts with Thai writing across the hip? You may not be from Thailand, but fighters do it all the time. If you practice BJJ, are you a fool for wearing a Japanese Judo-Gi, though you're not from Nippon?

There's always exceptions to the rule, my friend.

Personally, I don't wear Chinese garb when practicing, really. I mean, other than my not being Chinese, I just don't see the pracitical use for it, unless we're talking solely for fashion here. But if their is a traditional ceremony or anything of the sort going on, then yeah, I don't mind wearing it. Why not; I'm not racist, admittedly, it is kinda' cool.

After all, this IS a Chinese Martial Art. There's no room for ignorance with that factor present.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THE GODDAMMNED GERMANS HAVE GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!

Sorry...little "Smokey and the Bandit" quote there...
    lol :munky2:

"over?!? was it over when the german's bombed pearl harbor? hell no!!"

"germans?"

"don't stop him, he's on a roll..."
    Last edited by Arbiter; 6/01/2006 3:27pm at .

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 2:49pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Killing Moon:

-Is your stance a sunken, shallow, squared, arms forward type? Does it look like a funky "Wrestling/Shooting Stance"?

-Does your system use the tenets of Spitting/Swallowing/Bridging?

-Are your forms extremely short, and relatively few in number?

Just curious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That can be very easily done (and done much better, I think) without looking at "cultural" things, can't it? How does knowing about a culture improve a fighter today?

As for history...you have to keep in mind that we may not have an accurate accounting of what the techniques and fighting practices were really like in that history. I think it is much more beneficial to test things now, than to worry about what was happening hundreds of years ago.
    Ever read Gorin No Sho?

Musashi has a few words about speaking on simplicity and how it applies in combat with an enemy.

One of my favorites is in speaking on how most fighters would attack with a particular stroke and then immediately disengage the connection and attack from another angle. What he proposed and used to defeat/kill many enemies was to follow the same angle of their attack and cut through their opening. Very simple, very fluid and gets the job done quickly.

Case in point: this very same theory has helped me time and time again, but obviously not with swords. But within following an opponent's direction of their guarded attack and using that opening to make my own attack.
    It also feeds into the idea of of CMAs' "Water" elemental theories; fill in the voids that your enemy leaves open as soon as the opportunity presents itself. But do so in a fluid manner, as your opponent most likely won't be prepared for the occurence.

Does this answer your question?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Killing Moon:

-Is your stance a sunken, shallow, squared, arms forward type? Does it look like a funky "Wrestling/Shooting Stance"?
    Well, that depends.

The stances keep changing depending on the enemy's movement. If he's stationary, I'm mobile, if he's mobile then I can change to stationary. It can be the same, or opposite, it depends on how the fight goes.

I'm more about footwork than stances, really. The only stance that I concentrateon is Ma Bu, but I use that in fighting for other purposes. Like breaking an enemy's stability at close range, or for specific power applications. Especially in regards to stomping within certain strikes, but I really don't use that too often for sparring.

-Does your system use the tenets of Spitting/Swallowing/Bridging?
    Well in "Bridging", I guess you mean on "Bridging the gap", then yeah. But every martial art does that too, really.

-Are your forms extremely short, and relatively few in number?

Just curious.
    Well, I have about 5 forms that serve different purposes. I don't wish to learn any more, really. Five is more than enough; I don't believe in MA systems that contain more than this. After that, it becomes relatively useless to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 8:16pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    Well unless we're reading a completely different post, I believe that I've already given my definitions of what I meant by appreciating and recognizing the cultures behind a respective martial art. Again, are you reading what I've written, or are you just generalizing me with everyone else?
    Yes, I've read what you've written. But keep in mind that Internet forums aren't the best ways to convey detailed information. Please don't misinterpret my questions as being for rhetorical purposes. They aren't. They are actually intended for me to sort out exactly what you are saying. You said it "has its purpose". I am just trying to figure out what that purpose is.

We are of course not talking about two extremes, but rather varying levels in between the two extremes. You mentioned that there are exceptions, and you are right. The question is: what exactly do those "exceptions" get you? Are they important?

Not for nothing, but if you practice Muay Thai, are you an idiot for wearing similar shorts with Thai writing across the hip? You may not be from Thailand, but fighters do it all the time.
    I personally think its a little silly, myself. Not something I would do to train Muay Thai.

Let me ask you a question: If you were practicing Muay Thai, does having those shorts make you a better fighter? If not, then what importance does it have?

If you practice BJJ, are you a fool for wearing a Japanese Judo-Gi, though you're not from Nippon?
    I don't like training with the Gi, myself. For various reasons. Last time I was training BJJ, I did no-Gi training. I'm going to start training again soon (have a school picked out already), and one of my criteria was no-Gi training. If someone isn't planning on competing in BJJ tournaments where a Gi is required, then training with one is something that I disagre with.

There's always exceptions to the rule, my friend.
    Acknowledged.

Personally, I don't wear Chinese garb when practicing, really. I mean, other than my not being Chinese, I just don't see the pracitical use for it, unless we're talking solely for fashion here. But if their is a traditional ceremony or anything of the sort going on, then yeah, I don't mind wearing it. Why not; I'm not racist
    WHOA. So, would you say that anyone who didn't want to wear it was racist? I don't think that's what you meant, but I wanted to check.

, admittedly, it is kinda' cool.
    Just something we disagree on, here.

After all, this IS a Chinese Martial Art. There's no room for ignorance with that factor present.
    You lost me here. What does traditional dress have to do with learning to fight with the techniques?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 8:20pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    Ever read Gorin No Sho?

Musashi has a few words about speaking on simplicity and how it applies in combat with an enemy.

One of my favorites is in speaking on how most fighters would attack with a particular stroke and then immediately disengage the connection and attack from another angle. What he proposed and used to defeat/kill many enemies was to follow the same angle of their attack and cut through their opening. Very simple, very fluid and gets the job done quickly.

Case in point: this very same theory has helped me time and time again, but obviously not with swords. But within following an opponent's direction of their guarded attack and using that opening to make my own attack.
    It also feeds into the idea of of CMAs' "Water" elemental theories; fill in the voids that your enemy leaves open as soon as the opportunity presents itself. But do so in a fluid manner, as your opponent most likely won't be prepared for the occurence.

Does this answer your question?
    That's discussing something physical, related to techniques, strategy, or training. That I understand. Although I would question if the BEST way to learn it is a traditional approach. But I see what you mean there.

But that isn't a "cultural" thing. And the "historical" aspect doesn't really matter either. You can learn that lesson you specified without knowing about Musashi's life, or the culture of that time.

I'm not trying to be a stubborn prick. Sorry if it seems that way. I'm just trying to narrow in on exactly what "purpose" you are ascribing to cultural and historical study. If it is just "I have fun", then that is a purpose. But it appears (and I could be wrong) that you are indicating a further purpose for them.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    different event, different fighter though.

oh, so not Tara as in Mrs. Arbiter...
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 9:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    My style of muay thai involves a lot of jumping around these days. Unfortunately, Kat's style involves the deadly mortal kombat sweep.
    "Get over here!"
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast