Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    BTW: I was one of the teachers at the MAP Meet NYC Seminar. So I know a flood of questions and ball-breaks should be coming my way.

Which one and were you on that video?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 9:52am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Something tells me this was not a guiding principle of CMA until Judo came up with it first.
    Iíd have to call you on that and say that youíre wrong.

Like any developed Martial Art, CMAs originated and were refined through warring periods. And as you should know, what works on the battlefield doesnít consist of overly elaborate techniques or any form of fanciful mess.

Simplicity is and always was the key. Creativity and being unorthodox helps just as well, further feeding and improving the processes. However basics, strategy and simplicity are the components of what makes a great fighter. Be it in the old ages or even now, the concepts are the same.

Huo Yuen Jia, Mas Oyama and Miyamoto Musashi were huge advocates for this. And they were each great fighters for their time. What makes now any different?

Nothing, really.

People make things more complicated. The truth is always simple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Which one and were you on that video?
    Well, I was one of the members going through the push-hands practice drills. It was fun and I havenít met many people who do it very often. Iím the short bald black dude in the gray shirt, lol. Iím also at the end of the video, demonstrating a few conceptual drills and performing the Chin Na movement with my left hand.

Also, Iíve seen a really ugly backlash here on Bullshido in regards to that video. While some things I may agree upon, the push-hands that I and the Mantis Sifu practice are FAR from impractical.

Unlike typical WC push-hands, ours is executed with very little pattern behind it. It focuses on the Soft aspects of combat, which almost always leads to Chin Na (which explains why I love doing it so much). With it comes footwork, stance breaks, some kicking, all forms of upper body attacks, defenses and in many cases, takedowns that lead to ground grappling situations. But it completely depends on the practitioners. Personally, Iíve never been able to go full-out with someone on it, for fear of breaking their limb, lol.

The basic idea is that youíre constantly keeping a movement flow within a circle Like water, essentially. This just has two main goals..
    1-You cannot break contact at all with your opponentís limbs. Using primarily ďsticking energyĒ to keep connected.
    2-Each and every movement executed must be done WITHOUT any form of physical tension whatsoever. Or at the very least, as minimal as possible.

This all comes down to a game of Chess really. The idea is to smoothly apply a strike, grab, etc. to your opponent without them realizing it. So from there, you learn how to outsmart your enemy by faking tension, redirecting movement, feigning attacks and most of all, being able to ďfeelĒ your enemy by their kinetic movements. Instead of depending solely on your sight to judge what they may or may not be doing. Iím not sure if it shows, but I do this often with my eyes closed.

These Push-Hands/ Chi Sau methods translate beautifully toward grappling in almost every measure. But it depends mostly on your focus; how do you want it to translate. Do you just want to punch, or do you want to trip up, elbow, shoulder check, kick, head butt or engage in grappling. The idea is that you DONíT have a limitation on what you can do, another basic principle of Chinese Martial Arts.

Well, at least it used to be.

Iíve witness BJJ fighters go through a slightly similar practice before engaging into a session. So going through this with a few of them, itís basically the same, really. Only the arms seem to be placed differently, the setup is different and the end result is more aimed directly toward grappling on the ground (not a problem, really). But the idea of feeling your opponent remains the same.

ĎBah, enough preaching. You get the idea.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:13am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think doubt will remain until we see video of you or your students sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I think doubt will remain until we see video of you or your students sparring.
    I can understand that. Actually, I'm sort of working on this now.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    I can understand that. Actually, I'm sort of working on this now.
    Doubt will remain if it isn't semi-hard to hard contact. No, not full contact competition level fighting. People use this as an excuse.

Also, realize this board is heavy into realism. So, if it doesn't look like kung fu(ala Jackie Chan), it will only prove you spar hard and open a whole different can of worms.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:29am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh, we really expect sparring to look reasonably like what you practice.

If you're genuinely interested in showing us the real kung fu then record some small clips of just regular class and then record the sparring parts.

If you practice deep low stances and funky hand placement with lots of grabbing joint manipulation in class and then when it comes time to spar you look like sloppy kickboxing....yeh...we'll point that out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Doubt will remain if it isn't semi-hard to hard contact. No, not full contact competition level fighting. People use this as an excuse.

Also, realize this board is heavy into realism. So, if it doesn't look like kung fu(ala Jackie Chan), it will only prove you spar hard and open a whole different can of worms.
    Okay, lemmeí slow your roll on this right quick.

I never said that what I do isnít based on realism. Not for nothing, but everything here is initially based on an internet post. Not everyone and anyone can just pull a camera out of nowhere and say ďhere, see, lookie meĒ. I just distinctly said that Iím working on it. So take a chill pill; shitís not that serious, dude.

Secondly, I just thoroughly explained that it was a ďdrillĒ we were going through, not a sparring match nor live combat.

If you think that youíre talking to one of these general Kung Fu players, then youíre sadly mistaken; just to let you know. I couldnít have gone through half of the ****-storm that Iíve been through if what I knew wasnít based around realism. Just food for thought, in case anyone wants to keep jumping down my throat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:32am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luke Cummo mostly trains MT these days, but considers himself a Jeet Kun Do'er. When Bruce Buffer introduces him, he refers to him as an "expert in Jeet Kun Do". Cummo A GIGANTIC Bruce Lee fan, its what got him into martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Yeh, we really expect sparring to look reasonably like what you practice.

If you're genuinely interested in showing us the real kung fu then record some small clips of just regular class and then record the sparring parts.

If you practice deep low stances and funky hand placement with lots of grabbing joint manipulation in class and then when it comes time to spar you look like sloppy kickboxing....yeh...we'll point that out.
    You're right, and I agree.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast