Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 7:34pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're preaching to the choir (sp?) my friends.

I'm the first one who will say Aikido's major weakness or shortcomming is that it does not involve teaching any sort of fighting or defense when your on the ground. It's self destructive to assume you're not going to get taken down and have to fight your way off your back. I'd reccomend anyone in aikido or probably any martial arts take judo or jujitsu or something if their reason for martial arts is self defense. Judo/jujitsu is something I'd love to get into when I can find the time. If I had a choice I would prefer to engage someone on my feet and ideally defeat them without grappling first thats all.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 7:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it's just a matter of just grappling. For example I think boxing will teach more realistic punches and strikes and give you a better understanding of how to apply Aikido technique against strikes than just Aikido style of striking.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 10:16pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to learn how to dance - go dance.
    If you want to learn how to cook - your gonna have to cook.
    If you want to learn how to fight - your going to have to fight

If you want to learn how to wear big pants - your going to have to rent MC hammer video's or train in aikido.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 10:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about schools that don't have big pants and just wear Kodokan pants?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 2:11am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrushernyc
    Well, I lost a bunch of weight (180 lbs.), and I want to keep it off, so I'm looking for an interesting workout. Martial arts fits the bill, but I don't want to do solo forms, I prefer grappling, or at least working out with a partner.
    Key word(s) are lose weight + grappling therefore Judo or BJJ. Wrestling (any form) will also do.

With regards to aikido:

I do Aikido - I love the feeling of blending and projecting people away from me. I get that kind of rush, maybe it is a fetish thingy... as they say in the army, don't ask, won't tell.

And btw, maybe it is just me, but I have never see aikido resemble any grappling art. My understanding of grappling means wrestling. I personally see aikido as a form of weapon based MA, than a purely pugilistic one.

I also play Judo - I love the feeling of sweeping people a couple of feet above ground and slaming them down on the mats. I get that kind of rush each time I am in the dojo, maybe it is a fetish thingy... don't ask, won't tell.

Oh, one more thing, I cannot claim that judo as a good self defense art. Two person grabbing each others pyjamas struggling like 5th grade school boys while ignoring the possiblity of multiple opponents are just plain silly for SD purpose. But then one thing great about judo is the athelitism it cultivate in one. A strong body will make one tougher to be a victim, IMO, and judo helps in that department.

Can I consider myself prepared for self defense? Not sure, but I hope so, nothing is certain in this world. If you are looking for self defense specific needs, take a self defense specific program or maybe someting like Krav Maga. I would too, if there was ever one on my vicinity.

Sorry, I think I have gone off topic.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 2:36am

supporting member
     Style: Bjj/Machado/Pittman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my primary problem with Aikido is not the techniques but the methods. From my experience I would have learned alot more and been much more capable if they had let us take the gloves off and do some real randori. Yes going 100% all the time isn't going to teach you anything and yes safety is #1 but every so often I just wanted to throw down and see where I stand with an opponent who is resisting 100% . I know it sounds gay but I feel like BJJ is Aikido that still keeps its fighting edge.

oh and multiple opponents: whatever dude. Any competent Aikido teacher will tell you that multiple attacker drills are designed to teach you how to keep your head, distract, and escape. They are not teaching you how to beat 5 guys, its how to run from 5 guys.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 6:54am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    What about schools that don't have big pants and just wear Kodokan pants?

O'Sensei just rolled over in his grave...:happy9:

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 8:34am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't there some kinda bumper sticker about aikido and wearing bigger pants cause it takes big balls to fight someone by grabbing their wrist?

Okay bad joke :)

Rino86 I agree 100% students in aikido will benifit 1000 times more if they are exposed to gloves off no bullshit randori. You're probably a lot like me and the randori is you're favorite part of class. I think that's an issue of each individual school. A school with mostly whitebelts who are senior citizens probably won't enjoy it as much as a bunch of 20 year olds who want to break **** and smash stuff :)
    Of course in aikido you need to keep in mind your partner (or opponent) has to be close to your level, flexable and with their head in the game. As you've probably seen them, many movements if done with force or against someone unprepared to react will end up in pain or injured. Especially the wrist locks or if you throw someone too fast. The partner who I started with is a black/s belt in Karate, ninjitsu, jujitsu, aikijitsu and insane into judo. He's been teaching martial arts forever and is in incredable shape, when we start playing aikido for real it gets painful BUT like you were saying, you learn a lot more "real aikido" for lack of a better word.

oh and multiple opponents: whatever dude. Any competent Aikido teacher will tell you that multiple attacker drills are designed to teach you how to keep your head, distract, and escape. They are not teaching you how to beat 5 guys, its how to run from 5 guys.
    Think this is a case of semantics my friend.
    If 5 guys want to beat me up or kill me and using aikido or whatever martial arts, I manage to engage them and get away with my life and britany spears CDs I consider that "beating" them. Just depends how you define a victory.

Giving someone the confidence to keep their head on when faceing a group of enemies, whether they intend to fight or run away, is a win win situation.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    Think this is a case of semantics my friend.
    If 5 guys want to beat me up or kill me and using aikido or whatever martial arts, I manage to engage them and get away with my life and britany spears CDs I consider that "beating" them. Just depends how you define a victory.

Giving someone the confidence to keep their head on when faceing a group of enemies, whether they intend to fight or run away, is a win win situation.

Multiple attacker training:

Multiple attacker training, Aikido style:

Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 9:18am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chushin Ryoku
    Most of the people on this board know as much about aikido as you do. If you are still interested in aikido despite the rave reviews it receives here then I'm sure you will find several options in your area. Do your homework first and make sure that aikido is what you are really interested in (as opposed to judo, BJJ, boxing, all very good styles which will give you a great workout). Some aikido school love to spend their time cultivating magic powers and bantering on about this philosophical point or that. I would suggest a good Yoshinkan or Tomiki Ryu school if you want aikido an also want a good workout. You can get a killer workout in aikido at the proper school.
    I'm not a big fan of aikido myself, but I agtree with the recommendation above.

There are way too many MMA/BJJ/Judo/Boxing nutriders on this board, which by now should be obvious since the first responses to your initial posting were "try judo!" or "try BJJ" or "aikido sucks!"

Do some homework -- visit some aikido schools and other martial arts schools -- watch what they do, and pick the school that bast aligns with your goals.

My advice would just be to avoid things like expensive, contract-driven membership programs, and schools that want to continually sell you stuff (new belts, uniforms, patches, or 'more advanced' programs, for example.

Fortunately, these things aren't typically a prevalent feature of aikido schools -- at least in my experience.

-daGorilla
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast