Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 3:47pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends on what your interested in. Personally I wouldn't heed anyones advice on which martial arts sucks and which is good unless they have actually done it themselves.

I can only speak for Yoshinkan Aikido and maybe I'm out of shape but I work up one hell of a sweat when I'm practicing. I haven't left practice without working up a sweat yet. Lots of movement.

One of the things I like most about Aikido is training to defend yourself against multiple partners. Defending yourself against 3 people at once is a work out. Best thing to do is try a month of Aikido out and answer your own questions. I know it's easy to come on message boards and get advice but you get what you pay for. Some of it is advice from people in the know, others without a clue.

If you want to get in shape then I suggest eating right, start running 10 KMs a day and work out.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 3:57pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    theres a 70 year old at Aesopian's gym thats a purple, and one tough guy. I recommend some kind of grappling. Start slow and work your way up to a 2 to 3 days a week training program.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My old chemistry teacher did (does?) Judo. He was like in his 50's I think when he started. If getting slammed on the ground is still too much for you (although you WILL be eased into it, not forced to do it), try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Many BJJ places focus more on the ground aspect and not as much on how to get there.

Not as practicle for self defense, but a million times better than Aikido.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:44pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    It all depends on what your interested in. Personally I wouldn't heed anyones advice on which martial arts sucks and which is good unless they have actually done it themselves.

I can only speak for Yoshinkan Aikido and maybe I'm out of shape but I work up one hell of a sweat when I'm practicing. I haven't left practice without working up a sweat yet. Lots of movement.

One of the things I like most about Aikido is training to defend yourself against multiple partners. Defending yourself against 3 people at once is a work out. Best thing to do is try a month of Aikido out and answer your own questions. I know it's easy to come on message boards and get advice but you get what you pay for. Some of it is advice from people in the know, others without a clue.

If you want to get in shape then I suggest eating right, start running 10 KMs a day and work out.
    The problem is that the only really viable options for defending yourself against multiple opponents is to have a weapon or beat feet and get the **** out of there.

Learning how to defend against multiple Aikido people isn't exactly realistic training. You're not learning any realistic attacks to begin with, so how are you supposed to be trying to use them on someone who's resisting? Has there ever been an encounter in which two or more people ran at their victim with their wrists extended?

But I agree about the running/diet part.

Infidel

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:18pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You bring up a good point And I completly agree. I'm not a big fan of my art is better than your art or even defending my own art but give me the benifit of the doubt a minute :)

There is definatly a difference between engaging multiple "aikido" partners and a bunch of drunks on the street, your bang on. Doing it for real is always different but that can be said about any martial art though I figure. Many martial arts have rules because it's just not plausable to break peoples arms or poke their eyes out in training. I think that unfortinuately carries over into real life because you do IRL what you do on the mat.
    If someone grabs me and brings me to the ground and it's a me or them situation I'm going to bite them or try and smash them over the head with a rock. How many of us martial artists on this form do you honestly think can hold their own in a real life or death fight against a skilled opponent who isn't following any rules?

There in lies the comment of why does someone want to learn martial arts. A sport, something new, win medals or physically defend themselves outside of the ring and not just inside it.

While practicing against compliant people is obviously much different I still think it it gives you a basis to build from never the less.
    It is entirely possible (and I speak from personal experience) to "do aikido" on someone and see the end result of them not getting up off the ground or hurting them in a bad way. The ultimate spiritual goal of aikido is to defend yourself resulting in no harm comming to you or the attacker but honestly is that going to happen? Not really.

I know the whole aikido wrist thing makes for a pretty good joke and I agree, does that happen in a fight? I've never seen it. Stepping away from that aikido also teaches people to defend against other atacks. Punches which also includes knives and stabbing attacks. Someone using a sword (or more modernly an overhead strike) which includes somone swiinging a beer bottle at you, using a pool cue, club or baseball bat. I've seen beer bottles used in many a fight including against me. (The first technique I learned aikido was to defend against an overhead strike.) People grabbing you from behind (a tactic commonly used by 2 people, one guy holds you the other guy swings at you....or in prison :) )

You obviously know your **** judging by your profile and posts so I'm not going to assume to talk to you about fighting - just saying that regardless of the good and bad natured humor aikido does deal with more then two guys holding each others wrists and includes quite a few things I believe works or can work in real life situations.

As for the physical fitness, I think people incorrectly associate martial arts with physical fitness. It does help your strength, cardo, muscle memory etc.. but it shouldn't be someones primary goal or expected outcome.
    Last edited by vigilus; 5/31/2006 5:37pm at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 7:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guilty Spark

here's where I studied Aikido for about 4 years http://www.aikido-yoshinkai.org

I am guessing but your Ottawa club is probably an affiliate trained by Kamida sensei. I enjoyed my time there and think as far as Aikido training goes that I have seen Kamida's stuff is pretty good and ALMOST useful (or was 13 years ago)

Until you do something like Judo, grappling, BJJ or whatever with full resistant opponents. Your not going to really learn or appreciate your Aikido.

By grappling and sparing I found that I understand and can apply my Aikido techniques better than I could when doing just Aikido.

The thing is that Ueshiba learnt that way through hard sparring and reistent opponents.

Not knocking anything your doing because I have been there and done it myself but at some point start something with resistance it is an eye opener.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 7:04pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody's saying Aikido techniques don't work. Of course they work, they're derrived from real Jujitsu. The point is that:

a.) most of them are low percentage standing grappling techniques
    b.) many/most Aikido schools do not train with any realistic resistance or contact.
    c.) they're only a small portion of Jujitsu techniques, and the ones that are generally the least "offensive" in nature.

Wristlocks and such work great, but they shouldn't be the "go-to" moves in grappling.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 7:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone grabs me and brings me to the ground and it's a me or them situation I'm going to bite them or try and smash them over the head with a rock. How many of us martial artists on this form do you honestly think can hold their own in a real life or death fight against a skilled opponent who isn't following any rules?
    I forgot to comment on this.

What if they grab you and throw you hard on your head on pavement?

That's why Judo or wrestling or whatever is important in having to deal with someone doing their best even in a limited attacks to make those attacks work on you no matter what you do to resist.

Only truly alive ( I hate that farking word ) prepares you for that type of aggression.

Even if it's limited aggressions to a certain range of attack it's still full out aggression.

That's one area that Aikido training lacks in big time.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the things I like most about Aikido is training to defend yourself against multiple partners. Defending yourself against 3 people at once is a work out.

Great! Now all you have to do is learn how to defend against one and you'll be all set.

:smile:
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost