Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Thread: Aikido help

  1. #11
    Teh El Macho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,746
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old are you??? Unless you have a severe problem with your back, try judo. BJJ or some other form of grappling would do fine... incredibly fine if I may say. There were dudes in their 50's doing BJJ for the first time where I used to take classes. As Pointy mentioned, perhaps BJJ would be a better choice for ya.

    Pirate, shouldn't boxing also be a good way to go????
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Frozen Tundra Wastes of Canada
    Posts
    180
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the people on this board know as much about aikido as you do. If you are still interested in aikido despite the rave reviews it receives here then I'm sure you will find several options in your area. Do your homework first and make sure that aikido is what you are really interested in (as opposed to judo, BJJ, boxing, all very good styles which will give you a great workout). Some aikido school love to spend their time cultivating magic powers and bantering on about this philosophical point or that. I would suggest a good Yoshinkan or Tomiki Ryu school if you want aikido an also want a good workout. You can get a killer workout in aikido at the proper school.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas Tx
    Posts
    151
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many aikido schools have a disturbingly large number of accidents and injuries. While you can get hurt doing any martial art, Aikidoka seem far more accident prone than Judo or Bjj. When I did Aikido one of my instructor's gripes against mainstream Aikido was that many of them had the attitude that injuries are Ukes fault for not falling right, which is a bullshit excuse for bad technique and general dickery.

    Also, If you want to get fit, Aikido wont do it nearly as well as BJJ, boxing, or Judo. I've done all three and Aikido is the easiest by far.

    While bad over agressive training can be a problem at any school, it seems to be more prevalent within Aikido
    Last edited by rino86; 5/31/2006 2:05pm at .

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Herndon, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    307
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chushin Ryoku
    Most of the people on this board know as much about aikido as you do. If you are still interested in aikido despite the rave reviews it receives here then I'm sure you will find several options in your area. Do your homework first and make sure that aikido is what you are really interested in (as opposed to judo, BJJ, boxing, all very good styles which will give you a great workout). Some aikido school love to spend their time cultivating magic powers and bantering on about this philosophical point or that. I would suggest a good Yoshinkan or Tomiki Ryu school if you want aikido an also want a good workout. You can get a killer workout in aikido at the proper school.
    on hot days you may even break a sweat ^^

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find aikido to be a poor workout. I wouldn't suggest it if your main goal is to get in shape.

  6. #16
    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'll echo the judo suggestion. one of the neater martial arts related things i've seen was a 90 year old hanshi playing uke for a judo demonstration. i've never seen anyone breakfall and stand up so quickly, quietly, or fluidly. i wonder if i've got that on dvd...

    it's true for everybody, but doubly so for old people: it's more about the instructor than the style. find someone who knows what the **** he's doing and understands what limits you may (or may not) have, and knows how to teach, and you'll be golden.
    Last edited by pauli; 5/31/2006 3:27pm at .

  7. #17
    Mr. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,309
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rino86 did you study Aikido at Nick Chamberlain's Kempo place in Dallas?

  8. #18
    Phrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,137
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido is simply the most harmless parts of Japanese Jujitsu, run through a filter of hippie bullshit, and dishonestly marketed as a fighting art.

    If you want to learn how to grapple, don't bother with Aikido. It's like learning how to cook Itallian food without using pasta or tomatoes.

  9. #19
    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld supporting member
    Tom Kagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,601
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rino86
    When I did Aikido one of my instructor's gripes against mainstream Aikido was that many of them had the attitude that injuries are Ukes fault for not falling right, which is a bullshit excuse for bad technique and general dickery.
    Not only hurting but blaming your training partner is general dickery more so than bad technique, IMO.

    Accidents may happen, but training partners during play are not opponents.

    Don't break your toys. ... at least, not on purpose. :smile:
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

    "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

    "Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

    My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

  10. #20
    TKD Black Belt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In a van down by the river.
    Posts
    2,229
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Aikido is simply the most harmless parts of Japanese Jujitsu, run through a filter of hippie bullshit, and dishonestly marketed as a fighting art.

    If you want to learn how to grapple, don't bother with Aikido. It's like learning how to cook Itallian food without using pasta or tomatoes.
    Must post more so I can use this as a signature.

    TKD

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO