Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I would not agree. I'm not sure where you live in Canada, but I live in Stockton, CA, which is certainly not East St. Louis, Washington D.C., or Detroit, Michigan, but I would not hold anyone culpable for failing to risk their lives for the sake of retrieving someone's case of beer. In order to make a moral judgement, you must also calculate the value of what is to be gained from risk, and what is to be lost.

I've seen that vid. I think that's fairly representative of even what the best establishment TKD can achieve. When the TKD guys came to play Taekkyon, it looked about the same. Taekkyon is a game like Sport TKD, but body shots don't score points, only takedowns and successful kicks to the head, and the legs are a viable target.

I know most TKD people are fed a line about TKD coming from Taekkyon. If you're curious, there are a few people on the board who have some experience in this very, very different art. Me, RMclain...and someone else who emails me, but I don't know his screen name.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 9:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I ran out of a store with beer, I would at least put up a fight.

Your skills are EXTRAordinary; You have our Gratitude.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, basically, you are saying that Ms. Renhard's actions were not warranted?

It doesn't matter where you are. In a situation like that, you have two options. Do something or do nothing. I don't think there should be a price tag on justice.

I'm not necessarily saying that one should go Schwarzenegger on a shoplifter, but doing something, anything...even alerting the staff of the esablishment, is better than just letting the son of a bitch walk out of the store.

And yeah, that would be so cool...I'm interested in learning more about Korean arts....unfortunately, my background in them lies mainly in Taekwondo and Hapkido. I got a girlfriend in Busan who does Kooksul.

But I think that'd be a great topic for us to discuss.

The best won victory is that obtained without bloodshed - Bushido proverb
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 9:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "So, basically, you are saying that Ms. Renhard's actions were not warranted?"

Hey now, I didn't say that. You're talking about making a negative moral judgement. FYI: Last week my younger sister was witness to a shooting. She let some children run into her home and called 911 when she saw some stuff going down, but when the target tried to barrel through her door, she pushed him off and out. 45 seconds later, he was shot in the face, and was D E A D. Find a moral judgement in there. I'll start a Taekkyon thread when I get home.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 10:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, ****.

When you put it that way.....

The circumstances in that instance were a little more extreme though. Your sister had a decision to make. Try to save this guy's life and put not only her own life, but the lives of these children, in grave danger, or save herself.

It's a tough call, Wastrel. The way you explained that to me, I wouldn't blame your sister for doing what she did. I suppose somebody could argue that this guy's blood is on her hands because she didn't do anything to save him when she had the chance, but then if she had let this guy in, what could she have done to save herself and these children after they had finished their business with this guy? These guys probably wouldn't just let her and these kids just walk away as witnesses while this poor bastard was getting his brains shot out. So, in my opinion, she did the right thing. But this area is certainly a gray one.

"Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Titan

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a pretty extreme, and must be traumatic for her.

>I'm not necessarily saying that one should go Schwarzenegger on a shoplifter.

LOL

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 10:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But, yeah....I do concede that Ms. Renhard's actions put her in considerable peril. But it was her risk to take. And surely, she had enough confidence in her training to make the decision that she chose to.

And notwithstanding even that fact, she took complete control of the situation even after appreheding the thieves, until the police arrived.

What she did was right and good....I don't think she deserves to be laughed at. That's all I'm basically saying.

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 11:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not laughing at her. Anyway, another thing to consider is whether confrontation over something so small might initiate an escalation that results in a death. All I'm saying is, it's complicated.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 11:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know you aren't laughing at her, Wastrel....but those other guys were earlier on, which is why I responded.

But you're right, it is complicated.

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 12:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I win.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast