Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:25pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    it is skilled fighters and hard training, not styles that win fights.

I agree 100%.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurt
    Okay this should have been said from the begining I think, Cung Le is a wrestler and a kickboxer, my understanding is that he has never been a practitioner of any chinese styles. That is the same for a lot of san shou guys. And San Shou is not a style, it's a sport, a sport based on Muay Thai. You wouldn't say every boxer fights the same in the ring, or every MMA competitor, or that of anyone from any sport.
    Thank you saved me from typing. This is the new phenomena in CMA. They point to tournaments to prove kung fu worked. Funny thing is histroically these things were NHB events, something many of us kung fu guys have talked about for years.
    Yet, we denounce K-1, UFC and other NHB events.

Problem is we lived through others accomplishments.

The picture Beaton posted is cool but, the fighting pic is a kick. There is zero correlation between the two. That is just as bad as posting a pic of Diego Sanchez, in full lotus position meditating, then posting a pic of him winning Tuf 1 with a submission. One does not make the other.

Now, if Diego submits someone in the full lotus position, then we can debate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:35pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    The picture Beaton posted is cool but, the fighting pic is a kick. There is zero correlation between the two. That is just as bad as posting a pic of Diego Sanchez, in full lotus position meditating, then posting a pic of him winning Tuf 1 with a submission. One does not make the other.

JESUS F'N CHRIST!! How many times do I need to say this:

I never said his forms were the reason he won in FC fighting. Those pics were not posted to try and make that point. My point was that you can do the pajama dancing traditional Kung Fu AND train to fight for real. They are not mutually exclusive. People around here seem to think that if you train for real it automatically disqualifies you as a Kung Fu practitioner.

Obviously San Shou fighters don't use everything in the KF forms in their fighting. As a matter of fact very little of what is in the forms finds it's way into their fighting style, But EVERY move they do use is found in those forms.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:41pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much all the moves I use today, or at least things that look relatively similair can be found in karate, which I practiced for several years.

But I sure as **** am not using karate when I step in the ring.

It's not about how many or what moves you know, it's how you learn to put them together and apply them. Yes, we all know kung fu has a bajillion fucking moves and that everything anyone does ever can be found in the forms but it doesnt really validate kung fu because a fighting system is about more then techniques.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaton Yu
    Obviously San Shou fighters don't use everything in the KF forms in their fighting. As a matter of fact very little of what is in the forms finds it's way into their fighting style, But EVERY move they do use is found in those forms.
    Actually that's not true.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SHHHHHH cullion let him keep talking. We are learning his position.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    I don't know why he is fighting in mma. Those pre-madonnas outlawed all wrestling except for that which falls under bjj.
    That's AWESOME! He said "pre-madonnas" (isn't that Louise Ciccione?), that's even better than "per say", "ek setra" and "irregardless"...

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Yeh, they instituted that rule so that kung fu couldnt compete in MMA, it has nothing to do with state athletic commissions and fighter safety and **** like that.
    Ayup... Worse still, the athletic commision is usually confined by the state legislature and/or the state attorney general (few of whom are MMA competitors, heh). Often the commish is just trying to build the best rule-set he can within the constraints of state law (v. Texas Combative Sports rules).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 5:29pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Sanshou/Sanda fighters beat muay thai fighters all the time. This is not at all surprising since they train like muay thai fighters.
    I know.. Lu Hai Long tears up Thai fighters in the ring.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 8:57pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep reading how SanDa comes from Gung Fu- which system? White Eye Brow? N.Preying Mantis, ing hun? this whole idea that Sanda goes way back is another case of revisionism. Yes people fought on platforms in certain areas, but it probably looked like the Ng vs Chan clip in the Video section, not the dynamic splish splash of whatever works that we see in Modern San shou/SanDa. I like SanDa, and yeah, Cung le is a bad dude, but none of my friends are looking forward to him fighting a soup can- ****- he's a Champion, put him in with Matt Hughes.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well he IS brand new to this whole MMA thing. He may be a champ in Sanshou, but that doesn't mean he's deserving of a title shot with hughes right off the bat.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast