Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 2:05pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Beaton,

No disrepect, I studied with Phillip Wong and Jiang Ho Mae for three years doing wu shu. I thought that, since I was doing kicks and punchs, wu shu style, including a little bag work, that it would transfer over to my free fighting. I had done TKD and some full contact, years before. It did not work out that way.

No disrespect, that was not the fault of the art but the fault of the artist. Wushu is flashy, movie style Kung Fu that is strictly for show. It's like XMA. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the practitioners recognize it for what it is and don't think they are going to use it in a fight. What you needed was somebody to dumb it down for you and only show you techniques that would work for you in real life. Hopefully you've found that.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    new2bjj, do you have any specifics on Cung Le at the Sabaki Challenge.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaKickz
    Okay, your saying Sean or whoever is a full contact fighter. You said he's capable of beating a Muay Thai fighter. Do you have any evidence of this (video footage).
    Sanshou/Sanda fighters beat muay thai fighters all the time. This is not at all surprising since they train like muay thai fighters.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 2:24pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Sanshou/Sanda fighters beat muay thai fighters all the time. This is not at all surprising since they train like muay thai fighters.

So, if a fighter trains full contact against resisting opponents it's no longer Kung Fu but Muay Thai?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 2:33pm

Style: Kickboxing (FCR/IR)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ashly's right -- fighters from different styles beat and lose to each other all the time.
    You know who's out there beating fighters from different styles? People who can fight. People who respect all arts and spend their time training instead of whining about which style is the best, or where they come from.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 3:03pm

Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay this should have been said from the begining I think, Cung Le is a wrestler and a kickboxer, my understanding is that he has never been a practitioner of any chinese styles. That is the same for a lot of san shou guys. And San Shou is not a style, it's a sport, a sport based on Muay Thai. You wouldn't say every boxer fights the same in the ring, or every MMA competitor, or that of anyone from any sport.

"Kung Fu" has nothing to do with the sport. Beaton Yu, if you want to make the point at all, perhaps you could say which styles and which techniques and actually translate offering the smallest scrap of evidence as to your point instead of blindly calling every other person in the thread ignorant.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaton Yu
    So, if a fighter trains full contact against resisting opponents it's no longer Kung Fu but Muay Thai?

I never said sanshou was muay thai, I said they train like thai boxers.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 3:31pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    it looks like there's been a misunderstanding.

This is San Shou:

This is kung fu:

The funny thing here is that the guy with the moustache's (Jon Funk's) students fight under Sanshou and sport JJ rules.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fwiw cung has at least 4 loses though he usually doesnt list them. so what, he is a great fighter and everbody loses sometime.

cung spent many years training w/ u.s. & foriegn san shou coaches.
    san shou draws much from 'kung fu' but also much from western boxing, and i'm sure training influenced by mt training but is also much diff't than mt. also the throws derived from shuai jiao & sambo (early communist inter-military comp and modern russian team influence). btw shuai jiao is sim to judo so i can see why people mistake that. there is no standard san shou. every team has a bit different style of fighting. i can tell you for sure our san shou is not mt + judo, although i'm sure some clubs out there are, good for them if they can win. san shou is a format of chinese full-contact standup, not a style, and most of the top teams do happen to be derived from cma, maybe not a popular answer here but it is the correct answer.

btw someone mentioned jason yee (did you train w/ him?), i saw him last weekend he had a flight connection in boston and stopped by the gym, he said he is mostly training forms these days cause its great x-training f/ action films that he's getting into now, he's hooked up w/ jet li's film studio + some korean producers and doinf real well, will have some films coming out soon.

ashley and jenna-d are right, it is skilled fighters and hard training, not styles that win fights.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 4:04pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaton Yu
    No disrespect, that was not the fault of the art but the fault of the artist. Wushu is flashy, movie style Kung Fu that is strictly for show. It's like XMA. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the practitioners recognize it for what it is and don't think they are going to use it in a fight. What you needed was somebody to dumb it down for you and only show you techniques that would work for you in real life. Hopefully you've found that.
    Listen, I said no disrespect to start- now I don't need any fucking tool to tell me that I need things to be dumbed down, I've been doing various forms of martial arts since 1974, and I can remamber when there was no San shou,(the Chinesse government had forbidden violent sports practise) and Muay thai embaressed kung fu practitioners time and time again. For a good laugh, watch the kung fu guys in "fighting black kings", which is pretty hilarious.What I meant was that there is no physical correlation to the techniques in kung fu, and what will win in Shan shou. I sparred a sanda guy, and when things got too intense, he caught me with a flying armbar he had learned from BJJ, not the deadly din mak. That would be Brian Hamby, while he says his school and lineage are some important, he supplements his Sanda with Boxing, Kyokushin, BJJ and god knows what else. Doing forms is like jogging all the time to do sprints- it doesn't transfer, it looks similar, but doing one wont help much with the other. Actually, doing one will probably hurt the other.
    Last edited by new2bjj; 5/31/2006 4:16pm at .
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast