Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 7:24pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    "inherently" is a strong word, but it's probably more true than false. I've never heard of anyone trying to study it scientifically, and I don't know how you could, really. How would you control? Would you survey incidents of knife attacks? If you did, how would you control it so that you were comparing apples to apples?

If we're talking about the chest, for instance, then stabbing would be much more likely to be lethal, as cutting the chest with most knives won't even get through the ribs. If the throat, I don't know. Cutting might be lethal more of the time there; hard for me to have an informed opinion. If extremities, I would venture to guess that more people die of blood loss from large cuts than from thrusts.

I would say that thrusts tend to be aimed into the vitals while cuts are often applied in less-vital places.

I have nothing to add to this . Nicely said. I become a Gwinn nutrider!

Sorry for the late response, still recovering from surgery.

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 7:42pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off topic, what did you have surgery for?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 7:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 8:17pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sucks dude, I hope you get back onthe matt sooner rather than later. I'm sporting two shoulders which dislocate if I'm not careful, makes aikido tricky.

Back on topic- Knives and cutting someone is a huge psychological thing.
    People are more threatened when you hold a knife to them than point a gun at them.
    You point a rifle at a crowd and their not too phased by it, their acustomed to having guns pointed at them. Put a bayonette on the end of your rifle and their backing the **** away.

Going off the idea that people are more prone to slashing someone than stabbing them (again according to on killing) I would bet that stabbing attacks are more deadly. Slashing while deadly in it's own right might be less effective since when someone does it they may (likely) not be as commited to killing someone as they are then they stab them.

Embarassing aspiring thugs since 1991

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 8:57pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been in both scenarios and I have yet to become accustomed to a gun in my face. Ill always take my chances with the guy with the knife. The knife in my face just pisses me off.

Gather around the fire and ill tell you another story. Before i went into the military i got into a fight with a guy at a rec center playing ball.He pulled a knife on me . I wasnt into martial arts or anything at the time. I just palmed his head and slammed him into the wall behind him as hard as i could. He fell down but still had the knife in his hand. I beat him with a broken blade of a hockey stick.Needless to say to jail i went. The guys friends told the cop i had a machete or some bullshit.I got off though with a PBJ probation before judgement because i was on the delayed enlistment program and guy was a total shitbag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 9:39pm

Style: nada

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfumonkey
    I was talking to some paramedics and they mentioned that a lot of deep slash wound victims get hypothermic because of the loss of blood and the exposing of the internal organs to the outside temperature.
    Hypovolemic, as in loss of blood so that the organs are not properly perfused/oxygenated makes sense. Hypothermia does not. I'm a nursing grad student, and I've never heard of this. Maybe it was a mispronunciation or something. With deep cuts, the most likely problem is hypovolemic shock, wherein the total blood volume is insufficient to properly perfuse the body. Your body has lots of really cool compensatory mechanisms to maintain pressure as you experience a fluid volume loss, but eventually, as these mechanisms continue to operate in the environment of an open wound, they actually accelerate the process of blood loss, and you will ultimately decompensate, as the mechanisms fail, leading ultimately to hypovolemic shock and death if fluid volume replacement is not provided and/or the wound itself is not treated.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 10:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by groundcontrolba
    Ive been in both scenarios and I have yet to become accustomed to a gun in my face. Ill always take my chances with the guy with the knife. The knife in my face just pisses me off.

Gather around the fire and ill tell you another story. Before i went into the military i got into a fight with a guy at a rec center playing ball.He pulled a knife on me . I wasnt into martial arts or anything at the time. I just palmed his head and slammed him into the wall behind him as hard as i could. He fell down but still had the knife in his hand. I beat him with a broken blade of a hockey stick.Needless to say to jail i went. The guys friends told the cop i had a machete or some bullshit.I got off though with a PBJ probation before judgement because i was on the delayed enlistment program and guy was a total shitbag.
    gba has the coolest stories. The one he tells as his place is better.

Sorry I couldn't make the last UFC party I was preping for surgery and pretty doped up.

Embarassing aspiring thugs since 1991

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem brother. Ive led an interesting life so far. Next time ill tell you guys about my adventures in the bangkok and pattaya whore houses.Or the time i almost sold the russian chick that was with me to four japanese business men. Oh the memories.

I hope your arm feels better . When can you go back to training?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by groundcontrolba
    No problem brother. Ive led an interesting life so far. Next time ill tell you guys about my adventures in the bangkok and pattaya whore houses.Or the time i almost sold the russian chick that was with me to four japanese business men. Oh the memories.

I hope your arm feels better . When can you go back to training?
    sweet

couple months :(
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast