Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:16am

Style: Muay Thai, Kali, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does anyone besides Emerson have a wafe feature?

First thread in the armory, so please be kind:

I have a question about folders. I'm moving out of NYC and back to Vermont in the next few weeks. When I moved to the city I stopped carrying. I used to carry an Emerson Commander w/a wave. It was a great knife, but since I didn't need it I ended up trading it to a friend (for ammo, among other things). Long story short, I need a new knife. I absolutely fell in love with the quick draw of the Commander, but the knife is very expensive. So, here's my question: is there any other function like the wave on other quality knives? I can't find anything else out there, but most people here know a lot more about knives than I do.

FYI- Before the Emerson I carried a Spyderco Military that I loved. However, a friend had the same knife and it gave him nothing but trouble- the clip fell off, the mechanism didn't work well, etc. I still have a soft spot for Spyderco, but he's got me worried.

(Also, I just have to mention the fact that VT absolutely rocks as far as CCW goes. I'm pretty psyched)

Edit- And, I mispelled "Wave" in the title. Awesome. Commence ridicule.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not that uncommon now. . . If you like Spyderco, look at the waved Delica and Endura models. This has the added advantage that Spyderco actually pays the license fee to use the Wave legitimately rather than just copying it and thumbing their collective nose at the innovator.

You can open a lot of the knives with "flipper" guards the same way, but it's kind of a trial-and-error proposition to figure out which ones it really works with. I can do it pretty consistently with a Camillus Maxx, but that's a BIG folder and not for everyone. Cold Steel Ti-Lites do it if you don't mind carrying what amounts to a stiletto right out of West Side Story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 7:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    It's not that uncommon now. . . If you like Spyderco, look at the waved Delica and Endura models. This has the added advantage that Spyderco actually pays the license fee to use the Wave legitimately rather than just copying it and thumbing their collective nose at the innovator.
    Thanks Don. I saw you mention the Delica and Endura in the Tactical Folder thread, but I didn't know if there were other knives as well. If I were to get one of the two, it would probably be an Endura. However, a friend of mine had an Endura (albeit back when they were new to the market) and he said it was kind of flimsy. Maybe they were still getting the steel straightened out at that point, but he actually bent his a few times and had to bend it back. Do you have any experience w/either model?

You anticipated my next question- namely, how does Spyderco get around the Wave trademark? I think it is great that they pay- it is an excellent innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    You can open a lot of the knives with "flipper" guards the same way, but it's kind of a trial-and-error proposition to figure out which ones it really works with. I can do it pretty consistently with a Camillus Maxx, but that's a BIG folder and not for everyone. Cold Steel Ti-Lites do it if you don't mind carrying what amounts to a stiletto right out of West Side Story.
    Holy crap. The Maxx is a huge knife- too much for me. I don't like to draw that kind of attention (and, by the by- how can you get away with that in Illonois? I'm in VT and that looks like too much knife for me). The Ti-Lite is nice, but not really my style. I don't like the switchblade look, and the look of the handle makes me nervous.

One more question, since I don't want to start a new thread- what are people's opinions about karambits as an everyday knife? I am batting around the idea, but the blade looks like a huge pain in the ass for doing normal stuff, like cutting up an apple. It also looks awful to sharpen, because you'd constantly be cutting w/the front of the blade. Emerson makes a wave karambit w/a commander or bullpup blade, but then... why get a karambit? Anyway, I digress. I just want to know if anyone uses a karambit as their everyday knife.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 8:22am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can get either the Delica or Endura with the wave at www.tadgear.com

Go to the what's new section. They are pretty reasonable priced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 8:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    You can get either the Delica or Endura with the wave at www.tadgear.com

Go to the what's new section. They are pretty reasonable priced.
    Thanks for that, but a friend of mine is actually a dealer for Blue Ridge. So I get my knives at cost (about half off).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 9:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry a folding karambit sometimes. I haven't had any issues with the blade shape for everday use. Sharpening can be a bitch. You have to do it slowly on a sharpening rod.

Heel Hook Hunter

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:41am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the Kabar TDI models. http://www.kabar.com. Small, very usable and easy to conceal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ARGH!!! Freaking govenrment filters. I can't see the website since it sells "weapons".

This is my new toy. http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/fng_details.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    I love the Kabar TDI models. http://www.kabar.com. Small, very usable and easy to conceal.
    Wow! I think that's a good looking knife. As a bonus, I wouldn't have to worry about the lock breaking. What I really need is a folder though- I already have a Sog that is great, I think it's a Gov-Tac.

Quote Originally Posted by Muquatil
    That's hot too. There's still no wave though...

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have short fingers, but I'm a large person with large hands. The Maxx feels good in my hand, better in fact than most of the "normal" folders. Carrying it is no problem. It's actually flatter and thinner than many knives that are much shorter, and the clip is well-designed and well-placed. It rides very low in a pocket or waistband. I've heard people carry them in magazine carriers for 1911 single-stack magazines, but I've never found it necessary.

I should have mentioned, though, that to use the flippers as a "Wave" you have to relocate the clip so you can carry the Maxx tip-up, unless you want to carry it loose in your pocket. I don't like that at all, and relocating the clip doesn't appeal to me either. Besides, flipping it open with the flippers is as fast and easy as any switchblade I've ever used. The blade is massive, and once you get it moving at all, it would take a lot to keep it from opening and locking securely.

Illinois law does prohibit carrying any "dangerous knife," but only with "intent unlawfully to harm another." If you don't have criminal intent, it's not illegal. It's just a tack-on charge they use to pile on after an arrest for something else.
    The way I figure it, my Spydie Native could just as easily be called a "dangerous knife." The term is not defined in the law!

I've never used a Delica or Endura. I love my Native for the money, though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast