Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 12:55pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love Aikido I really do but I equally really dislike the idiocy and egotistic eejits who often hide behind philosophy as an excuse not to engage in hard practice.
    Awesome post, I wish I could word my arguments as well as you, though I have a feeling you've been debating aikido a bit longer than me :)

I'm enjoying exploring the spiritual side of aikido and seeing what works with me and what doesn't but your last comment is bang on. One should never hide behind the philisophical stuff if your telling yourself that you're taking aikido for self defense or martial reasons.
    Nothing can replace hard practice, ever. Talking about giving and recieving energy is great but until you and someone swinging at you for real it's all talk.

Some would argue (and I've seen the arguments here and otherwise) that study of a system with no modern practicality is in []their[] eyes a waste of time and effort.. Each to their own I say; the same can be said for aikido, indeed I do often say the same.
    Agreed. I think too often here it is assumed that if a martial art can't be used inside a cage or grappling with someone it's useless. It's not a fair argument because not all martial arts were designed for this enviroment. Martial arts include such things as archery, horseback riding, spear fighting etc.. which have no real practical self defense arguments in their favor, yet they are STILL martial arts. People are getting hung up on a very spicific enviroment in how they see martial arts applied.

edit: a question for you
    That said, if many students of aikido placed less emphasis on spiritual development and the ideological philosophy of Ueshiba M. I feel their understanding of practicality (or its lacking) would be more prevalent.
    This was pretty obvious the minute I put on a white belt in aikido. By the sounds of it you have experience intrigrating strikes and other martial arts in with your aikido.

How do you feel Aikido makes for a self defense, when mixed with another "modern" or physical martial arts such as jujitsu, judo or taekwondo? (For example)
    Do you feel someone can mix the combined martial arts well enough to cover for said martial arts various weaknesses and make an effective self defense platform?
    Last edited by vigilus; 6/03/2006 1:18pm at .

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 2:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido as it is generally trained now can be a good martial art for dealing with certain type of attacks that may occur in a situation. However the lack of true resistant competition does not allow an aikidoka only practitioner the opportunity to learn the timing issues and subtleties that can only be experienced through such pressure testing competition.
    Goju Joe I disagree I think the competitions Aikido has are sufficient in learning how to deal with a resistant opponent. They're both trying to throw each other down. The only problem I have is that Aikido competitions are not wide spread.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What competitions are we talknig about? Tomiki knife attack comps?

I would need to see video of what you're talking abotu to comment on.
    Last edited by Goju - Joe; 6/03/2006 3:33pm at .

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 3:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll look for it later. I wasn't talking about toshu(tanto) randori. At least I think it's called toshu randori. Anyway I'll look for it later. Umm I don't think people could or would want to throw someone if they had a knife in their hand.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 3:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Opps toshu is barehanded randori. Tanto randori is what you were talking about Joe.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234