supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nerd Fight Club

Via Fox News.
    Techies Get Tough With Underground Fight Club
    Texas Teens Accused of Filming Student Brawls

MENLO PARK, California They may sport love handles and Ivy League degrees, but every two weeks some Silicon Valley techies turn into vicious street brawlers in a real-life, underground fight club.

Kicking, punching and swinging every household object imaginable from frying pans and tennis rackets to pillowcases stuffed with soda cans they beat each other mercilessly in a garage in this bedroom community south of San Francisco.

Then, bloodied and bruised, they limp back to their desks in the morning.

"When you get beat down enough, it becomes a very un-macho thing," said Shiyin Siou, 34, a Santa Clara software engineer and three-year veteran of the clandestine fights. "But I don't need this to prove I'm macho I'm macho enough as it is."

Inspired by the 1999 film "Fight Club," starring Brad Pitt and Ed Norton, underground bare-knuckle brawling clubs have sprung up across the country as a way for desk jockeys and disgruntled youths to vent their frustrations and prove themselves.

"This is as close as you can get to a real fight, even though I've never been in one," the soft-spoken Siou said.

Despite his reserved demeanor, he daydreams about inflicting pain on an attacker. "I have fantasies about it," he said.

In recent months, police in New Jersey and Pennsylvania have broken up fight clubs involving teens and preteens who posted videos of their bloody battles online.

Earlier this month in Arlington, Texas, a high school student who didn't want to participate was beaten so badly that he suffered a brain hemorrhage and broken vertebrae. Six teenagers were arrested after DVDs of the fight appeared for sale online.

Adult groups are more likely to fly under the radar of authorities.

Menlo Park police hadn't heard about the local club and said they wouldn't be likely to take action because the fights are on private property between consenting adults. That could change if someone complains or is sent to a hospital, police said.

Gints Klimanis, a 37-year-old software engineer and martial arts instructor, started the invitation-only "Gentlemen's Fight Club" in Menlo Park in 2000 after his no-holds-barred sessions with a training partner grew to more than a dozen people. Most participants are men working in the high-tech industry.

"You get to be a superhero for a night," Klimanis said. "We have to go to work every day. We're constantly told to buy things we don't need, and just for a couple hours we have the freedom to do what we want to do."

The only protective equipment used is fencing and hockey masks. Several fighters have suffered broken noses, ribs and fingers.

Men involved in fight clubs often carry bottled-up violent impulses learned in childhood from video games, cartoons and movies, said Michael Messner, a University of Southern California sociology and gender studies professor.

"Boys have these warrior fantasies picked up from popular culture, and schools sort of force that out of them," he said. In these fantasies, "The good guys always resort to violence, and they always get the glory and the women."

There is also a sadomasochistic thread running through underground fight clubs, said Michael Kimmel, a sociology professor at Stony Brook University in New York.

"Real-life fight clubs are the male version of the girls who cut themselves," he said. "All day long these guys think they're the captains of the universe, technical wizards. They're brilliant but empty.

"They want to feel differently. They want to get hit, they want to feel something real."

Five-year fight club veteran Dinesh Prasad, 32, a heavily tattooed Santa Clara engineer, said he once broke a rib in a match but never complained to his fellow combatants. He also recently skipped his first wedding anniversary to attend a fight rather than drive to Los Angeles, where his wife is finishing law school.

"I came here to get over my fear of fighting, and it's working," he said. "I'm much tougher than I was five years ago. I'm not at the level of these other guys, but if things were to get tough, I can get tough, too."
    GG
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    Men involved in fight clubs often carry bottled-up violent impulses learned in childhood from video games, cartoons and movies, said Michael Messner, a University of Southern California sociology and gender studies professor.
    Because we all know men never fought before movies, cartoons and video games.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only protective equipment used is fencing and hockey masks.
    What the ****?
    Why don't these guys just train?

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 6:52pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training requires effort, dedication, and commitment.

Being a stupid asshole requires none of this.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost

OH I don't know.They do seem dedicated enough to show-up often at these get togethers.I guess they save a lot on member payments to gyms.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost

I dissagree. Just because they beat the **** out of each other without training, that doesn't make them stupid nor assholes. That would be the same type of argument people make about MMA fighters... "oh my God, so sadist, they must have little brains or had been sexually abused when they were children. Can't they take all that energy to do something more possitive rather than training for all that mindless violence?"

Not everyone wants to train in martial arts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are undisciplined. Where I work it's full of geeks by day, alpha males by night. They either go and play/train in basketball, spend a few hours in a firing range, or spend countless hours fine-tunning their mechanics skills with their bikes and **** like that. People live their lives differently and try to make the best off them.

It is frustrating to work behind a fucking PC, and most of the guys I work with (myself including at times) work until 11am to 8pm (not by choice mind you).- that sort of schedule leaves little to no chances to train in martial arts or in anything for that matter. Doing a little bit of weekend warrior **** is the only way for a lot of dudes to remind themselves they have a pair of balls that haven't dried up and retracted up the cervix for working mindless, countless of hours doing geek **** for the 9-to-5 marketing fucktards.

I always suspected something like that was going on for quite a while. It was bound to happened. As long as none of them go crying momma after a beating, more powah to them.

*** EDIT ***

On a second thought, if any of these geeks think that because they beat each other on a Saturday night they have become martial artists or bad asses than can take on a trained fighter... then yeah, that would make them stoopid asholes.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 5/30/2006 10:01pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 11:15pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** it, if they have the balls, good for them. Is it really that different than going to a throwdown, where you can meet people, off the 'net, and beat the crap out of them to "test your skills'"? They may not bow or do any of that other ****, but if they keep pounding each other, they will get to a point that maybe, they wont kick ass, but the kind of guy that preys on these "geeks" might wind up biting off more than he can chew. Besides, all three of my Brother's in law work down in silicon valley, so I'm going to have them look in first hand. To each their own.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 11:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gints Klimanis, a 37-year-old software engineer and martial arts instructor, started the invitation-only "Gentlemen's Fight Club" in Menlo Park in 2000 after his no-holds-barred sessions with a training partner grew to more than a dozen people. Most participants are men working in the high-tech industry.
    FYI - This story seems a bit one sided and biased with the typical reporters spin on reality. Gints is a Dog Brother (Baltic Dog) and does teach and train martial arts. He also teaches the people who fight in his garage, who more likely than not also train somewhere in addition to his garage. I teach and fight in my garage but I woudn't call it a "fight club". I also train and fight full contact with the NoHo Dog Brothers pack in a park every Saturday but again I wouldn't call it a fight club. Fucking media spin combining what they do in Menlo with dumbass kids in other parts of the states.

Oh yeah, btw... some of these "nerds" in Menlo would **** up about 90% of the people on these boards be it by stick, garden hose, fist, kicks or submission. Not everybody is a wannabe Brad Pitt doing TKD in their Mom's yard.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31958

Edit: Just watched the video on the thread I linked. Looks like they are calling it a fight club. Still, as crazy as that looked there are actually several really good fighters in that group and more than one are Dog Brothers. Maybe not all are right in the head... but tough though none the less.
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 5/31/2006 12:01am at .
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Old School DM

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 6:58am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kicking, punching and swinging every household object imaginable from frying pans and tennis rackets to pillowcases stuffed with soda cans they beat each other mercilessly in a garage in this bedroom community south of San Francisco.

(snip)

"This is as close as you can get to a real fight, even though I've never been in one," the soft-spoken Siou said.
    I don't know if they are assholes or not, but I'd consider getting beaten bloody with a frying pan or soda can in a pillow case to be a "real" fight...
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 7:14am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    I don't know if they are assholes or not, but I'd consider getting beaten bloody with a frying pan or soda can in a pillow case to be a "real" fight...

It's only a real fight when you can't stop or tap out.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast