Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Just some good advice, don't give out your Credit Card number.
    Ditto. If you gave your credit card, you certainly signed a contract of sorts. Just talk to your school and tell them you are moving.

Notice thought that some schools DO NOT HAVE a cancellation clause at all. I ran into one of those (a boxing gym) about a month ago. The gym had different contracts, 3, 6, 12 months, and they made it very clear that contracts would not be cancelled, that if I planned to move, say in two months, then that I could sign a 3 month contract... nice ain't.

Talk to your gym and see what happens.. and stick to your story that you are moving. Better yet, before you post anything else, just mention what school you are going for cry out loud.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 11:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a contract similar to what you are describing. The kid signed it as a "waiver." He didn't read any of the other verbiage of the contract.

So, in review:
    Lesson 1: Never give out your Credit Card number unless you know EXACTLY how it is going to be used.

Lesson 2: Always get COPIES of anything you sign especially, if you are spending money.

Lesson 3: Read everything you sign THOROUGHLY, even if it is going to take Days. Take it home if possible. If it isn't use the entire class time to read.

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 11:54am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore
    I don't believe I signed a contract and if I did I missed the fine print. When I spoke to the head instructor on the phone last night he informed me about the yearly contract. I was never given a copy of any paperwork.
    Then ask him to send you a copy of the contract. It should have your signature on it, and specify the length of the agreement and the payments to be made.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:06pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Virtually all large gyms these days (NY Sports Club, Equinox) have annual contracts. I don't know why people seem to think it's some evil plan.

Why would you think they would need your credit card for insurance purposes? It sounds like you weren't listening very well.

When you can read English and you sign something, it's not a great defense to say "I didn't read what I signed, I shouldn't be held responsible for it."

In reality, you could probably cancel your credit card and they won't pursue it. The cost of litigation against you will probably exceed the amount you owe. I doubt they're large enough to have the resources to make it efficient.

Any chance you're a minor?
    Last edited by TakeAnother; 5/30/2006 12:09pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnother
    Virtually all large gyms these days (NY Sports Club, Equinox) have annual contracts. I don't know why people seem to think it's some evil plan.

Why would you think they would need your credit card for insurance purposes? It sounds like you weren't listening very well.

When you can read English and you sign something, it's not a great defense to say "I didn't read the fine print." The burden is on you to read it.

In reality, you could probably cancel your credit card and they won't due anything. The cost of litigation against you will probably exceed the amount you owe. I doubt they're large enough to have the resources to make it efficient.
    That can screw your credit score. A lot of gyms use a 3rd party collection firm to handle the monthly charges against students' credit cards.

Say you cancel your credit card without notifying the gym. The gym won't know where you are... suddenly you are not there, and the gym is not going to do the paperwork to cancel your membership and submit the change to the collecting agency. The collecting agency never receives a notification, and as the automaton it is, it keeps trying to collect every month UNTIL the expiration date of your contract.

After 4 months or so, they send you a letter asking you to pay in full. You don't, and you don't really pay much attention to it. So then they send you another letter saying that they notified the gym (your creditor) that you have refused to pay, and that they have further notified the gym it should be wise to pursue other legal means to make you pay. And to top it off, the collecting agency reports you to the credit bureous.

Chances are that the gym won't pursue it. They will just write it off as a loss when it's time to file taxes to Uncle Sam. But your credit score WILL take a dive because of this. You have been branded a person with bad credit who does not honors contracts.

This isn't fantasy, it happens.

Be wise and talk to the gym. Until you do so, it's all conjecture.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    That can screw your credit score. A lot of gyms use a 3rd party collection firm to handle the monthly charges against students' credit cards.

Say you cancel your credit card without notifying the gym. The gym won't know where you are... suddenly you are not there, and the gym is not going to do the paperwork to cancel your membership and submit the change to the collecting agency. The collecting agency never receives a notification, and as the automaton it is, it keeps trying to collect every month UNTIL the expiration date of your contract.

After 4 months or so, they send you a letter asking you to pay in full. You don't, and you don't really pay much attention to it. So then they send you another letter saying that they notified the gym (your creditor) that you have refused to pay, and that they have further notified the gym it should be wise to pursue other legal means to make you pay. And to top it off, the collecting agency reports you to the credit bureous.

Chances are that the gym won't pursue it. They will just write it off as a loss when it's time to file taxes to Uncle Sam. But your credit score WILL take a dive because of this. You have been branded a person with bad credit who does not honors contracts.

This isn't fantasy, it happens.

Be wise and talk to the gym. Until you do so, it's all conjecture.

Before someone says I don't care wait until you try to buy a house, car, rent an apartment, get a cell phone, and you have to make an unusually large down payment because of a charge you ignored.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 2:03pm

Style: Tai Chi, Jujitsu, knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore
    Anywhere in LA would be fine. I live in northern Long Beach and don't mind driving so much. The border of Orange County isn't too far from me, Redondo Beach would be fine, basically anything with-in a half-hour or so from me.

http://www.ogdenjudo.org/About/about.html

I don't know how the students pay, but it looks to be set up sort of like a non-profit, so I'm guessing no anual contracts. Is this place a long distance phone call from where you are at?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This post has caught my interest but could the the thread starter please post the website of the school in question so maybe some research can be done. I passed by this thread while at work and I'm willing to look into it if only the website would be posted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 10:34pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, theres absolutely no policy information at their website, so other than just calling them out, there would be no point in posting the information and that wansn't, even in the slightest, my goal with this post (really, and you can go re-read the opener of the first post if you like, I just wanted to vent, get some sense smacked into me which is mission accomplished, thank you very much, and also to find a new gym which I so far have one seemingly decent suggestion).

As to the question of whether or not this place is McDojo? I think that would come down to a degree of skill more than anything else. If you've studied JuJitsu for 4-5 years at a respectable establishment you would easily move to the head of the class here, that much I've gathered irreguardless of whatever policy I may have inadvertantly fallen into.

At any rate, I'll keep you posted if the issue gets resolved. Otherwise, feel free to smack more sense into my withering skull and more importantly, I need more gym suggestions in case the solitary one I've already gotten doesn't pan out. Thanks again, and cheers, now it's time for me to enjoy my vacation and forget about this non-sense. Peace.
    Last edited by Jettatore; 5/30/2006 10:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 12:47am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just curious, was the monthly fee really unexpected??

yes i realise its expensive but did you expect to train for free?
    the owner of the school doesnt run a charity
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast