Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 5:32pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Inside or Beyond the Lion's Den?

Hey guys, I want to snag one of Shamrock's books, but I can't decide between the two ("Inside the Lion's Den" and "Beyond the Lion's Den"). How do they compare, and what one would you guys recommend over the other? Is Beyond pretty much just an updated version of Inside, or do they both have some pretty good unique content?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 5:46pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inside is pretty old and is mostly (over 2/3) Shamrocks bio with a little basic info on MMA fighting and conditioning included. OTOH its easy to find at a cheap price (under $5). Beyond has some of the same bio included but the section on MMA fighting is more extensive. IMO tho, there are better books on MMA, i would only recommend it if you can get it for 1/2 or less cover price.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't spend money on Inside the Lion's Den. I'm done with it. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

It was published in '96 or so, so it's talking a lot about the rivalry with Severn and John McCain's crusade. It's pretty self-serving for Shamrock, but I guess you'd expect that. The fighting instruction is pretty basic stuff. Eat a lot of protein, kicks have more reach than punches, etc. Not sure there's anything in there you wouldn't learn from watching MMA nowadays.

The treatment of the non-fight with Severn in Detroit (where they circled endlessly and there was almost no action at all) is interesting. I've always meant to ask whether Shamrock's version is plausible. He tries to claim that he could have won if he'd hit Severn when he was mounted, but that there was a judge's order that no one could strike with a closed fist and, although the UFC was only slapping a minor fine on for punches, Shamrock refused to throw a punch and break the law because he was a role model (a scruple the dastardly and mustachioed Dan Severn did not share.)

I believe the bit about the judge's order, but Shamrock was King of Pancrase, for crying out loud. Doesn't Pancrase prohibit closed fist strikes to the head? Did Shamrock never learn to use palm heels or the like? And how did any of that necessitate 20 minutes of standing in the center of the ring and watching Dan Severn walk slow circles around the edge?

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:41am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read Inside and liked it alot. Great book and bio. Mostly because this is the book that introduced me too the world of MMA. Its just general advice on MMA and his story but I read it like 2--3x. Yea I was doing gay Shaolin Kempo and this seemed so cool and new to me. I think thats why I liked it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:42pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Don't spend money on Inside the Lion's Den. I'm done with it. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

That'd be sweet, dude. Thanks! PM sent.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 3:38am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inside the lions den makes shamrock look like jesus and buddha and allah combined.

Which he isnt.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which he isnt.
    It's a good thing you remembered to put that in there. Otherwise people might have been severely misled.

Not only is Shamrock the Ubermensch, but Royce is a coward who ducked Shamrock. Dan Severn is a big dumb galoot who couldn't make anything of himself in wrestling and doesn't understand submission wrestling. Tank Abbot is such a dumbass he tried to start a fight with Shamrock for free at a UFC after-party (OK, actually, that one seems halfway plausible.)

Anyway, you get the idea.

Nathan, I've gotta find the book, but when I do I'll get it out to you. My wife will be thrilled that there's one less book on the piles around here. I don't mean to make it sound like it's not worth reading, but take it with a grain of salt just as you would any ghostwritten autobiography.
  8. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny...When I was driving to Kansas City on Friday, I saw a billboard behind some trees. It said "LION'S DEN" cross the top. My interest was perked. As we got closer, and could see the rest of the sign, we noticed it said on the bottom, "Adult Superstore."
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 5/31/2006 10:00am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 10:25am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inside the Lion's Den is nothing more than Ken Shamrock Propoganda...it tries to turn him into some mythical figure a'la "The Gracie Way"....the "instructional" part of it is pretty slim also...

Beyond the Lion's is a huge improvement upon "Inside"...but still kinda falls short...I prefer Peligro's books for grappling instruction and can easily purchase/DL Bas Rutten's videos or Pat Miletich's stuff for striking...hell, Mark Hatmaker's NHB series isn't all that bad for like $12 a book...and his striking instruction is significantly better than Shamrock's book...I find Shamrock's book to be a little too "generic" except on the clinch/takedown section...Plus, the first half of the book is more Shamrock propoganda...

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 12:34pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark Hamakers books are good. Lions Den is def Shamrock propoganda, but its still a good read.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast