View Poll Results: Do I live in a Twilight Zone-esqe nightmare world?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. I agree Royce is a terribly overrated fighter and this nutriding is getting tiresome.

    41 70.69%
  • Yes. Blah blah blah heavier opponents, something something Dan Severn.

    17 29.31%
Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last
  1. #71
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,038
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    Royce winning via spinning hook kick (not that he ever would) = "OMG, BJJ IS the rox0r!"

    Matt winning via text-book BJJ = wow... I guess the sport HAS evolved a lot since Royce's time.

    Royce is the symbol of BJJ. Matt is the symbol of the new generation of fighters. It doesn't matter what really goes on, but what people percieve happens. So even if Matt had pulled guard and armbarred Royce, people would still have thought that BJJ isn't the best like it used to be, because "the" BJJer got beaten.
    Royce-ted on his own petard.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  2. #72
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,038
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsufubu
    190 or so?
    Matt Hughes walks around at 190 and cuts to 170. As far as I know, the fight was at 175 specifically so Royce didn't have to cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsufubu
    Just because he lost it doesn't mean people have to lose respect for him. The game has moved on and he hasn't kept pace. 'Nuff said. He's still ****-hot at jiu-jitsu.
    Aesopian's picture probably didn't sink in, so I'll come out and say it: Royce Gracie was never ****-hot at BJJ. I'm not saying he's not a competent grappler, but he's not the ****.

    I know it hurts, but you'll get over the pain someday.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  3. #73
    and good morning to you too supporting member
    PirateJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    3,240
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enought with the size and strength thing. They made a new weight class just for this fight. What do you think would have happened to royce if he fought at middleweight where he belongs against Rich Franklin?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

  4. #74
    Meager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    979
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsufubu
    190 or so?

    You mean 170, don't you? Matt Hughes is 5'9" ands fights at 170. The fight was at 170, and I think Royce had to drop down to Hughes' weight.
    No. I meant 190. Matt fights at 170 but cuts a shitload of weight to do it. Royce fights at 175 or so but doesn't cut weight. If he did cut for the Hughes fight he cut alot less than Matt did.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Enought with the size and strength thing. They made a new weight class just for this fight. What do you think would have happened to royce if he fought at middleweight where he belongs against Rich Franklin?
    Where are you people getting this **** from? Middleweights walk at 200+ (I believe Franklin weighs 210). Welterweights walk at 185-190 and cut to 170. Royce walks around at 175, and if anything should be fighting at 155.

  5. #75
    Matsufubu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,757
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I'm not saying he's not a competent grappler, but he's not the ****.

    I know it hurts, but you'll get over the pain someday.
    Don't say that. I will never sleep again. I'm a Royce and BJJ nutrider.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

  6. #76
    Poop Loops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,025
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Royce-ted on his own petard.
    Uhhh? *sound of your point flying miles above my head*

  7. #77

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    132
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wtf? Do you have to be suffering from ADD to follow this thread? Pick a topic and stick to it.

  8. #78

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    281
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    He likely knew the worst beating he would possibly take was still worth the huge amount of money they paid him to fight.
    Yep. Is there anyone reading this now that WOULDN'T fight Matt Hughes in the UFC for that kind of money? I would. Wouldn't have to think twice about it. Now, I wouldn't find him in a dark alley while he was slightly drunk and smack his wife, or anything. I'm crazy, not stupid. But in the UFC, with rules and a ref to stop the beating...hell yeah I'd step in there with Hughes for the money Royce got. You'd better believe it.

  9. #79
    TehDeadlyDimMak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,198
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't fight matt hughes for this kind of money.

    mainly because there's no way I'd ever be able to spend the money after matt tears my head off and throws it into the crowd.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    281
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I wouldn't fight matt hughes for this kind of money.

    mainly because there's no way I'd ever be able to spend the money after matt tears my head off and throws it into the crowd.
    What's the matter, you haven't learned how to tap yet? :redface:

Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO