228779 Bullies, 5522 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do I live in a Twilight Zone-esqe nightmare world?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. I agree Royce is a terribly overrated fighter and this nutriding is getting tiresome.

41 70.69%
  • Yes. Blah blah blah heavier opponents, something something Dan Severn.

17 29.31%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    Royce posted over on the UG apologizing to the fans for the fight and that he wasn't prepared, saying he will prepare better for his next fight. Somebody posted a quote from Rickson who is training in Brazil about the fight and reportedly he said "Royce didn't know the rules", which I interpreted to mean Royce hadn't sufficiently prepared for the aggressiveness necessaary for the 3 5 minute round format. That may be BS, or somewhat true, I don't know. Hughes even said in the post fight interview that Royce probably wasn't as familiar with the fight format, or something like that.
    Just so we're clear, Royce received one of the biggest paychecks in MMA history but couldn't even be bothered to go to ufc.tv and check the rules? Well that makes perfect sense. Hell, while we're at it, we should organize a protest arguing that the new rules banning kidney shots took away Royce's ability to utilize his lethal "Banging Your Calf Against The Opponent's Lower Back" technique that characterize Royce's mystifying and labryinthe guard.

If this story is at all true, doesn't it only serve to foster what an unlikable prick Royce is for A) being completely unable to take responsibility for his own shortcomings, and B) still attempting to play the "Me no speaky English but very trusting!!" angle, even though he's lived here well over a decade? In fact, doesn't the obligatory post-loss shitstorm that invariably follows any Royce defeat make himjust a completely and totally unlovable toolshed?

To me, Royce's style has always been more endurance based, and a really good guard (remember Severn - taken down and dominated for 15 min. straight, then sinks a triangle from guard).
    Haven't seen the Severen fight, but to qualify as having "a really good guard" you need to be able to do more than triangle a wrestler that doesn't know what a triangle is.

I don't think Royce's fighting style matches up well with the current UFC format.
    Me neither. Royce's style is more of a "choose people who are a lot worse than you" game, whereas most UFC fighters actively seek out opponents at approximately their skill level.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    You again demonstrate your ignorance. Matt won via textbook bjj. As Helio supposedly said once "If you want to impress me, beat me with out using jiujitsu".
    Royce winning via spinning hook kick (not that he ever would) = "OMG, BJJ IS the rox0r!"

Matt winning via text-book BJJ = wow... I guess the sport HAS evolved a lot since Royce's time.

Royce is the symbol of BJJ. Matt is the symbol of the new generation of fighters. It doesn't matter what really goes on, but what people percieve happens. So even if Matt had pulled guard and armbarred Royce, people would still have thought that BJJ isn't the best like it used to be, because "the" BJJer got beaten.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 12:45am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was personally disappointed by the fight, namely, because I thought that Royce was a good fighter. Huges made him look like a newbie; he dominated the entire fight, and he had to be stopped because he couldn't force his dick down Royce throat any farther. The best fights of the night were the two knockouts after the main event. I want my $40 back, maybe I can jump on Royce's back and beat him into giving me $40 out of his 1.5 Million dollar paycheck.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 3:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "If you want to impress me, beat me with out using jiujitsu"

Old Helio must love Yamamoto Kid and Takanori Gomi...
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 3:57am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    You know this **** is getting out of hand when Matt Hughes begins making excuses for his domination of Royce, blaming a size and strength advantage when Royce is seven pounds heavier than him.
    That's not really fair. Matt probably walks around at 190 or so and I don't think Royce cuts weight. Plus Matt is ridiculously strong for his size.

Royce didn't lose because of size and strength, though.

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    The rules argument is stupid, even if it is straight from the lips of Royce or his holiness Helio. If the fight had gone to deciscion or if a round break resulted in Matt getting out of a submissions, maybe. As it was, not at all.

Also, with the major exception of Gracie-Shamrock 2, most of Royce's early fights lasted less than 5 minutes. Where is the need for endurance again?
    Hell even the supposed Kimo battle (which was wholly one-sided) was less than 5 minutes.
    My opinion of all this going on is that Royce was a lot more serious about collecting the $1.3M than he was about preparing for the fight. And now he's doing damage control by being politically savvy and saving face so his loss doesn't impact his cash cow empire.

Royce is a legend. I wouldn't even know about BJJ if not for them and the now hilarious "Gracies in Action" video.

BJJ and MMA have evolved. Matt Hughes would dominate him under any rules.

But I'm thankful for the legend and his work through the 90's.

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 10:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Just so we're clear, Royce received one of the biggest paychecks in MMA history but couldn't even be bothered to go to ufc.tv and check the rules? Well that makes perfect sense. Hell, while we're at it, we should organize a protest arguing that the new rules banning kidney shots took away Royce's ability to utilize his lethal "Banging Your Calf Against The Opponent's Lower Back" technique that characterize Royce's mystifying and labryinthe guard.

If this story is at all true, doesn't it only serve to foster what an unlikable prick Royce is for A) being completely unable to take responsibility for his own shortcomings, and B) still attempting to play the "Me no speaky English but very trusting!!" angle, even though he's lived here well over a decade? In fact, doesn't the obligatory post-loss shitstorm that invariably follows any Royce defeat make himjust a completely and totally unlovable toolshed?

Haven't seen the Severen fight, but to qualify as having "a really good guard" you need to be able to do more than triangle a wrestler that doesn't know what a triangle is.

Me neither. Royce's style is more of a "choose people who are a lot worse than you" game, whereas most UFC fighters actively seek out opponents at approximately their skill level.
    I think checking the rules under ufc.tv or anywhere, and being able to perform under the rules in a top billed televised PPV event are two different things.

On the Severn fight - you have a point, I'm sure others have better guards. His was passed pretty easy by Matt. I'm just saying his game involves strengths in escapes and the guard, and not in aggressive offense which matters more now in UFC fights.

I also think if you look at Royce's actions from a pure financial perspective they explain what he's doing. $$$$ is primary - from selecting opponents to building organizations to what he says publically. I'm not saying that's admirable - it is what it is. To some that makes him a complete tool. To his minions it inspires loyalty. To me, I respect his legend, but am not too hep on current events. I've seen a number of crapplers walk away from his seminars with a blue belt. It' s probably better up higher.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 11:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    That's not really fair. Matt probably walks around at 190 or so and I don't think Royce cuts weight. Plus Matt is ridiculously strong for his size.

Royce didn't lose because of size and strength, though.

190 or so?

You mean 170, don't you? Matt Hughes is 5'9" ands fights at 170. The fight was at 170, and I think Royce had to drop down to Hughes' weight.

I wanted Royce to lose, but only because I have to believe that the game has evolved, and I like the smackdown Hughes put on Trigg. But then, it would have been great if Royce had won...but I don't know why.

Just because he lost it doesn't mean people have to lose respect for him. The game has moved on and he hasn't kept pace. 'Nuff said. He's still ****-hot at jiu-jitsu.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 11:32am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsufubu
    He's still ****-hot at jiu-jitsu.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 11:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He went to church and got healed by the power of the Lord?
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast