225025 Bullies, 3837 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do I live in a Twilight Zone-esqe nightmare world?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. I agree Royce is a terribly overrated fighter and this nutriding is getting tiresome.

41 70.69%
  • Yes. Blah blah blah heavier opponents, something something Dan Severn.

17 29.31%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    One way or the other, you still don't know exactly what's going to happen. You're not going to be disappointed with X3 unless you're one of those uber-geeks like Asia.
    Should I start a rant now or wait for later?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Should I start a rant now or wait for later?
    Oh go on and rant now.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith
    I was terrified that Gracie might win. (I hadn't seen Matt fight before - hadn't watched any UFC since twenty-something. I was affraid from Matt's comments that he may have underestimated how much better at stand up striking someone could get in 10 years, or that he underestimated Gracie's ability to take the fight to the ground. It turned out that neither issue mattered.)
    So you don't know **** about MMA but felt like commenting?

Thanks, we're all much better for reading your stupidity.

Can you imagine the nutriding that would have taken place if Gracie had won? BJJ would have been claiming to be the be-all end-all of martial arts for the next 30 years. Also, it would be a major blow to humanity in general: a Gracie victory would have meant that that after a decade of Octagon competition, we couldn't come up with something to improve upon the technique of the original winning champion. Fortunately Matt finished him off in the first round, otherwise we'de have had that "well Gracie didn't have the unlimited amount of time he needed to defeat Matt" still hanging over our collective heads.
    You again demonstrate your ignorance. Matt won via textbook bjj. As Helio supposedly said once "If you want to impress me, beat me with out using jiujitsu".

You obviously don't know a god damn thing about MMA so you should shut the **** up.

For me UFC 60 is an important historical event that permanently establishes MMA as the best "martial art system" to be training in to compete in MMA. I liked all the escapes-from-holds, sprawling gillotine chokes (definsively against take-downs,) ground-and-pounding, and even a flying knee that demonstrated that striking/stand-up has come into it's own as far as MMA competition goes (though I realize it's a result of integrating with and training against BJJ for a very long time now.)
    Wait, you just mentioned you don't follow MMA. You're truly stupid. All of what you've described has been going on for years.

By the way I got Stephan Kesting's email yesterday. Here was his comment on the hughes-gracie fight.
    Last Saturday night Matt Hughes decisively defeated Royce Gracie in a much promoted UFC matchup. One of the most interesting things about this fight was that mixed martial arts have come full circle, with Matt defeating Royce using a strategy first popularized by Royce himself.

Matt Hughes used a positional strategy straight from the jiu-jitsu playbook: takedown to sidecontrol to rearmount, and then finishing with strikes from rearmount. This approach to fighting comes directly from Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Rearmount is not a pin in wrestling and it doesn't win a match in Judo: the dominance of this position is emphasized by jiu-jitsu to an extent not found in other martial arts.

This fight goes to show the HUGE influence the Gracie family has had on mixed martial arts (and martial arts in general). Their techniques and strategies are now out in the open, and have revolutionized our approach to fighting.

Kudos to Royce for igniting the grappling explosion by dominating the early UFCs. Huge respect to Matt Hughes for his continuing dominance in an incredibly tough sport.
    As for the original poster. It was nostalgic and great to see Royce in the octagon again. For many that was our first exposure to what real fighting probably looks like. Even if he had picked fights and this is his only legit fight except for Sakuraba, it was sweet to see him back in the cage.

Even though anyone who knew **** knew he was going to get a beat down.
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 5/30/2006 1:55pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    By the way I got Stephan Kesting's email yesterday. Here was his comment on the hughes-gracie fight.
    Last Saturday night Matt Hughes decisively defeated Royce Gracie in a much promoted UFC matchup. One of the most interesting things about this fight was that mixed martial arts have come full circle, with Matt defeating Royce using a strategy first popularized by Royce himself.

Matt Hughes used a positional strategy straight from the jiu-jitsu playbook: takedown to sidecontrol to rearmount, and then finishing with strikes from rearmount. This approach to fighting comes directly from Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Rearmount is not a pin in wrestling and it doesn't win a match in Judo: the dominance of this position is emphasized by jiu-jitsu to an extent not found in other martial arts.

This fight goes to show the HUGE influence the Gracie family has had on mixed martial arts (and martial arts in general). Their techniques and strategies are now out in the open, and have revolutionized our approach to fighting.

Kudos to Royce for igniting the grappling explosion by dominating the early UFCs. Huge respect to Matt Hughes for his continuing dominance in an incredibly tough sport.
    Priceless.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 2:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    **** Cyclops. He has generic powers and is good for one thing: He's a deus ex machina keeping sinister from killing the xmen in arc after arc.

You hear that ************? YOU SHOULD HAVE TESTED BETTER.

Personally I think the romance should have been storm/phoenix.

Not even fanboys are going to complain about that deviation from the comics.
    ... or Storm, Phoenix AND Mystique. That would X-Men Gone Wild.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 2:14pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    I did. Nothing makes me happier than seeing someone who is supposed to be Godly get his **** ruined. It makes me feel better about myself.
    Har HAr! Seconded!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 2:16pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    So you don't know **** about MMA but felt like commenting?

Thanks, we're all much better for reading your stupidity.

You again demonstrate your ignorance. Matt won via textbook bjj. As Helio supposedly said once "If you want to impress me, beat me with out using jiujitsu".

You obviously don't know a god damn thing about MMA so you should shut the **** up.

Wait, you just mentioned you don't follow MMA. You're truly stupid. All of what you've described has been going on for years.

As for the original poster. It was nostalgic and great to see Royce in the octagon again. For many that was our first exposure to what real fighting probably looks like. Even if he had picked fights and this is his only legit fight except for Sakuraba, it was sweet to see him back in the cage.

Even though anyone who knew **** knew he was going to get a beat down.

I'm probably not the only person who stopped watching the UFC after the introduction of time limits and weight classes (and the disapearance of Royce from competition,) and decided to watch this one because Gracie was comming back to the octagon. So yeah, my comments would definitely be from someone who "doesn't know **** about what's been going on in MMA for the last several years." I am aware of Muay Thai being a strong influence in the UFC since Maurice Smith fought in the octagon, but I was suprised to see how integrated the techniques have become.

This IS the same forum as the X3 comments, right? Had I known this was going to be a conversation for BJJ and/or MMA experts only, I would have definitely kept my mouth shut.

But since you are such an expert, why did Royce fight even though he knew he would get beat down, or are you saying he "didn't know ****"?
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 5/30/2006 2:23pm at .

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But since you are such an expert, why did Royce fight even though he knew he would get beat down, or are you saying he "didn't know ****"?
    He likely knew the worst beating he would possibly take was still worth the huge amount of money they paid him to fight.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 2:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm probably not the only person who stopped watching the UFC after the introduction of time limits and weight classes (and the disapearance of Royce from competition,) and decided to watch this one because Gracie was comming back to the octagon. So yeah, my comments would definitely be from someone who "doesn't know **** about what's been going on in MMA for the last several years."
    Glad to see you made your comments so declarative then since you don't know ****.
    I am aware of Muay Thai being a strong influence in the UFC since Maurice Smith fought in the octagon, but I was suprised to see how integrated the techniques have become.
    Mo Smith? WTF? He hasn't fought in 6 years.

This IS the same forum as the X3 comments, right? Had I known this was going to be a conversation for BJJ and/or MMA experts only, I would have definitely kept my mouth shut.
    You make declarative comments despite not knowing ****. I'm no expert but I'm also not a douche bag. You're a douche bag and not even mildly knowledgable.

1) Money.
    2, Maybe) The only real fighter he's faced was sakuraba, maybe he wanted to show he wasn't solely a platform from which Whorian could make shitloads of money.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 2:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though I doubt the second. He made a mil and knowing the UFC nowdays, the fight would get stopped before he took a severe beatdown on the ground.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast