Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 10:29pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vunak on Google

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3&q=paul+vunak
    I am being serious so flame if you must but listen to what I have to say, please. I was a paramedic for several years (Nationally registered emt p) and I have worked as a bouncer and the info Paul Vunak is pushing in his knife vids at least from what I saw on google video is totally bogus. I take exception with one point in particular; Vunak says ‘you will not go into “ instant SHOCK”’ (I think he means shack brought on by volume depletion, but who the hell knows) in fact most of the major arteries of the arm are on the inner part (I won’t bore you with medical terms) and he shows the cut being made to the back arm. If you do not believe me find the textbook prehospital trauma life support, statistically you have an 85% chance of surviving a knife wound. This data is compiled from trauma centers and VICAP (FBI). Vunak is selling fear tactics and it is not even sound self-defense, hell my granddad, God rest his soul, was a Marine in WWII and would have fed this guy his own knife while he carved him up with another.
    I know there are plenty of people who have slammed Vunak already on this site but I just want people to be armed with the knowledge that surviving a knife is possible. Don’t let a side of beef sell you some of his crappy tapes.

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:11pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is the best way of surviving an assailant armed with a knife?

I'm pretty sure I know what's NOT recommended, but I'm curious as to what your experience suggests.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a veritable expert in this field. So far I am 0 - 2 against stabbing weapons. But overall from what I know of Vunak's material it is better than most, and more realistic. One of his videos he has a big slab of meat hanging in the room. He makes two quick cuts on it. And then does a close up to see about 2-3" deep slashes in the meat. Just to make a point.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the very end of the vid, this quote -- "The three rules: Run, Hide or Fly."

Just teach me how to fly, please.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:26pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love how Vunak starts playing the bongo drums while his students are going at it.

I still remember the advice from my old karate sensei concerning knife fighting: "You are going to get cut. Deal with it and move on."

And the point Vunak tries to make, that your body is going to start freaking out on you is off in one other major way: for most of us, we're going to freak just knowing a knife is in play and that adrenalin dump is going to happen way before we're ever cut (unless you get stabbed like they do in Detroit). :smile:

Dagon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:39pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not so much the techniques as the inaccuracy of the medical information he gives. Your body does NOT go into shock in 2 seconds from a forearm wound. As for the times I've been assaulted by knife wielding assailants, well truthfully I "lost", I was stabbed in the right chest and lower left quadrant of the abdomen, 15 sutures total. I say I lost becuase I got cut and contrary to popular belief you aren't always going to get cut in a knife fight. But I did manage to get the knife away from one guy and the other guy got a security guards gun stuck in his face before I could do anything. of course if I had it all to do over again I gues I would X block and throw an axe kick. ( jus' kiddin') :wave:
    Oh once I did wrestle a screwdriver from this wife beater in the parking lot of the club I was employeed at so I have beat one guy in an 'edged' weapon fight, but that doesn't count because it was a screwdriver and that's really more of a puncture type weapon.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:43pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually heard that a lot of times people are surprised that they had a wound from a knife.

Ya know, in the heat of the moment the fight goes on... at the end, "holy crap, I've been stabbed" type of thing.

Or is that just plain BS?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I am a veritable expert in this field. So far I am 0 - 2 against stabbing weapons.
    My last one I before I switched to Berrta vs stabbing weapon ended in a draw, but I don't think I will give a rematch to bag vs stabby.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vunak might not be completely correct, but his stuff is absolutely better than anyone elses. A lot of people are going to go into shock right after being cut, and which is safer? - assuming that if you get cut, you may not be able to continue the disarming tactic, or assuming that you can take the slashes and keep going?
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:46pm

Style: no-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    I've actually heard that a lot of times people are surprised that they had a wound from a knife.

Ya know, in the heat of the moment the fight goes on... at the end, "holy crap, I've been stabbed" type of thing.

Or is that just plain BS?
    That happens a lot. People thinking they are being repeatedly punched in the gut only to figure out afterwards that they are bleeding all over the place.

Karl Tanswell of SBGi was stabbed seven times. Most of the wounds were inflicted before he even realized there was a knife in play.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast