Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 11:37pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A piece of advice Yrkoon9 gave worth repeating (over-under grab in the clinch).

In a thread long ago, possibly related to my amateur fight, Yrkoon9 gave a spot of advice on how to nail less-experienced fighters with a close-in hook during a clinch.

In the clinch, you have an over-under hold on your opponent and you're jockeying for space to get a good hit. Your love taps to the midsection aren't going well, and you can't get the space for a good uppercut.

Your underhooked arm isn't going to be much use, but the shoulder of that arm can be. In the clinch, you shoot your shoulder upwards and turn your hips to the inside to force the opponent's head up and back. When it gets there, you come back around with a hook with your "over" hand and nail him.

To recap - bump their head up and back with the shoulder of your arm that has the underhook on your opponent. Immediately throw a hook with the arm that had the overhook.

==

Another over-under technique involving knees:

You have an over-under grab on your opponent. He's keeping his head pressed on the shoulder so you can't do the above trick. He's staying pressed close so you don't have room to throw the knee.

With the hand that has the overhook on your opponent, drop it down to their waist so that the heel of the hand is on their hip. Shove the opponent's hips back to create room so that the knee on the same side as the overhooked arm can come up and nail them in the midsection.

Recap - Use the overhooking arm/hand to push the opponent's hip back and use the knee on the same side to nail them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 1:45am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "With the hand that has the overhook on your opponent, drop it down to their waist so that the heel of the hand is on their hip. Shove the opponent's hips back to create room so that the knee on the same side as the overhooked arm can come up and nail them in the midsection."

If you got an overhook, won't he have an underhook?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 1:55am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just dirty boxing Os. If you know how and when to use it you can use it wherever. Boxing, kickboxing, MMA, streetfight - whatever. My technique comes from my old boxing coach. It certainly isn't the 'only' tactic you can use, but it is a nice trick you can use every once in a while.

I think when I gave the advice I was gearing it toward boxing/kickboxing. But driving your shoulder up under someones chin really hard in the clinch to pop thier head up and then bringing the hook around has worked for me on many occassions. If you like it use it. If you don't - then ignore. But definately be aware that there are people like myself who WILL use this stuff.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 2:33am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my fallback technique in case thier ears have already been bitten off.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 9:25am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowtko
    "With the hand that has the overhook on your opponent, drop it down to their waist so that the heel of the hand is on their hip. Shove the opponent's hips back to create room so that the knee on the same side as the overhooked arm can come up and nail them in the midsection."

If you got an overhook, won't he have an underhook?
    You're correct. The late hour muddled my thinking.

In the case of the knee, the over-under is similar to the head-arm control from side mount - the overhooking arm is higher on the opponent while the underhook is standard. You're either clasping the hands or gripping the opponent.

The UNDERHOOK hand is the one that comes back and pushes, and it's that side knee that strikes.

If someone could edit the first post accordingly, it'd be appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 11:32pm

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, makes more sense now.

I'm assuming your head will be buried in the same side of the overhook so that when you release the under hook to push his hips HIS overhook won't be as much of a threat.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 3:26am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's some good stuff. Thanks.