Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2006 11:53pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

French Foreign Legion

Last edited by UltimateGaijin; 5/26/2006 11:56pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have to watch the rest of that later..
    Intertesting. I remember about three years ago a friend of mine was fantasizing about joining the Foreign Legion.
    Thanks for the link.:icon_salu
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 1:55am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Good find.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 3:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet video.

But does anyone else think that the foreign legion might be a bigger liability than its worth? The coup attempt seems like something that would be inevitable.

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 5:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you suggesting that the foreign legion might rise up and overthrow the French government? if so: No fear.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 10:34am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    Sweet video.

But does anyone else think that the foreign legion might be a bigger liability than its worth? The coup attempt seems like something that would be inevitable.
    Why would it be a bigger threat than any other part of the military?
    It's not like it's a bunch of mercenaries. It's part of the french army.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder how US laws affect US citizens joining the legion. One of the first things I learned when I got my citizenship was that US citizens were not allowed to participate in foreign armies. If I'm not mistaken, one could even lose his US citizenship, even if you were a US-born one (the other reason being treason.)

Anyways, this is interesting... specially about the Mongolian dude joining in. More interesting still to see how the diversity of nationalities actually help create a more cohesive force.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 5/27/2006 11:14am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a bunch of mercenaries though. Guys who don't have any long standing loyalty to the french government, they just wanna fight (and speak french).

Are you suggesting that the foreign legion might rise up and overthrow the French government? if so: No fear.
    Right. In the past year, the French government has lost two important battles. One against angry muslim teenagers torching cars, and one against angry spoiled french university students, torching cars.

You really have any faith in the french government?

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, but I have faith that the regular French army outguns the foreign legion on a 10/1 basis.
    I also have faith that the foreign legion is loyal to France and has no reason to rise up and take power for as long as they're regularly paid and fed. It's a professional military corps in an industrialized European nation, it's not General Butt Naked's Satanist Army of Doom in Liberia we're talking about.
    Additionally, 90% of the officers are French, as are about 1/4 of the enlisted men, the rest of which are primarily Europeans, especially Brits. The image of the FL as a band of cutthroat scum fleeing from the gallows is all very Beau Geste and doesn't do the FL justice. You don't even have the "Join the Legion to escape from criminal persecution" anymore. (I think they lost that after a large number of strangely tattooed Germans joined up in the late forties.) It is still a very nasty and hard-ass unit, however.
    Also, you bringing up the French government's less than successful handling of the constant protests and strikes as any kind of indicator of their lack of military leadership is retarded. You don't bring in the army to combat this kind of thing, therefore your comparison is irrelevant.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    It is a bunch of mercenaries though. Guys who don't have any long standing loyalty to the french government, they just wanna fight (and speak french).

Right. In the past year, the French government has lost two important battles. One against angry muslim teenagers torching cars, and one against angry spoiled french university students, torching cars.

You really have any faith in the french government?
    I just saw the entire clip... very interesting. From the clip, and from the brief mention of the attempt to munity right after the withdrawal from Algeria, I get the impression that the Legion would posse a threat if they felt betrayed/threatened - besides the generals leading the legion today are not necessarily the same as the generals of the 50's and 60's who though Algeria was and would remain French regardless of how much blood they were to spilll... or so I hope.

To accomplish a coup, the legion would have to have a margin of popularity, and the populace would have to be intimidated (or pissed off at the goverment) enough to allow it to happen. I wouldn't know about the angry muslim teens, but the angry spoiled hippies,... err, university students would oppose a coup... not because of a matter of principles, but because they are just angry hippies that oppose anything and everything :tongue3:

Military coups in the western are becoming increasing difficult to pull... not impossible, but difficult.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast