Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 8:44pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think it's better than just grappling, but the striking should be (and maybe is in some cases) kyokushin type- full contact to the body until the fight goes to the ground

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    In short, judo + added newaza time and allowed submission targets + point striking. Contact level of the striking and legal targets vary. Here in Sweden it's light contact ("too hard" is penalized) and no straight punches or to the head, only weird backhand hooks and ridgehands.
    ADDED newaza time? Sport JJ suffers from the Judo syndrome of judges not knowing jack **** about newaza. I have seen and heard of amazing events. One fact, half-guard is non existant in Sport JJ and osaekomi is subsequently counted in a neutral position. Total bullshit.

People have been counting osaekomi when someone manages to regain guard. This is a guy at my school. He points to his feet, mouthing "I've got guard..." and the ref gave the guy in the guard ippon for as he claimed "making him tap".

And in every video, every tournament I see people finally getting a good position and then WOOPS stand up. Judges and timelimits are lousy in regards to newaza.

Hell **** it, I say triple, even quadruple newaza time. No more stalling, no more playing. This is JJ, not Judo and if it will ever be anything BUT Judo with lame tag-tippy-tap point-sparring then someone has to up the game to make it more aggressive.

One way of doing that is giving people little way out on the ground than to fight, since just lying in a neutral position for a long time holding on would be penalized if newaza time was extended a fair bit. This means striking to gather points will have to go up a notch because when you first get taken down you might be there a while, you can't just hang on and get a chance to pick more points by a game of tag.
    That doesn't work? OK your throws have to be better, you have to take more chances, you have to get that throw and get a good position on the ground because if you can finish with a submission, you are securing the game for yourself.

I'd want to remove osaekomi too, but I'm afraid that would NEVER happen. In fact I can whine about it all day but the official rules of Sport JJ will not change in any drastic good manner which is incredibly sad. I see so much potential in the world of regular JJ in general, but the rules make for the type who can only play a game, not fight. I does not amuse me. :icon_pale
    More human than human is our motto.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 3:42am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only sport JJ I've seen is videos from national level competition and sparring shown to me by actual competitors so I suppose I've missed the regular crappily reffed stuff.
    I hope that since MMA seems to be growing in Scandinavia there will be some sort of competition form with tournaments for those who don't want to jump into full MMA rules competition just yet (see: SoCal Pankration).

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 6:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The changed the rules i Ontario for striking saying .

I quoute "hard contact is allowed, but not too hard" Which as far as I understand means hard contact to the body and lighter contact to the head.

Also I don't know what the Scandanavian rules are but striking to the body on the ground is allowed, which makes a huge difference to the ground game and the ground time limits were increased from 15-30 seconds

Although I think it should be at least 1 minute.

Here is a video some people made from the 2005 Ontarion championships

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...port+jiu+jitsu

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 8:00am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    The only sport JJ I've seen is videos from national level competition and sparring shown to me by actual competitors so I suppose I've missed the regular crappily reffed stuff.
    I hope that since MMA seems to be growing in Scandinavia there will be some sort of competition form with tournaments for those who don't want to jump into full MMA rules competition just yet (see: SoCal Pankration).
    Over here it's sad. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 refs I know are solid. There are TOO many getting involved in referreeing just to help out while lacking any solid technical knowledge. This isn't helped by the fact that regular JJ gradings are a complete lottery and belts tells you nothing of a persons skill. Some of the best competitors I've seen have been everything from black or brown to green or blue or even yellow and orange belts. Which means being graded high doesn't mean you know ****, but it does mean you can start reffing.

Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    The changed the rules i Ontario for striking saying .

I quoute "hard contact is allowed, but not too hard" Which as far as I understand means hard contact to the body and lighter contact to the head.

Also I don't know what the Scandanavian rules are but striking to the body on the ground is allowed, which makes a huge difference to the ground game and the ground time limits were increased from 15-30 seconds

Although I think it should be at least 1 minute.

Here is a video some people made from the 2005 Ontarion championships

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...port+jiu+jitsu
    It's closer to the ideal. What I believe would bounce the scandinavian sportJJ would be removal of Grip&punch, i.e. you can grab the gi and punch. This would mean timing and atemi for kuzushi might actually come into play. And the "semi contact" over here depends too much on the refs. I've seen people getting warnings only when they visibly daze the opponent to a serious degree or knock them down. Other times some have grazed over the other guy and oops you shouldn't have touched him young man. Inconsistancy imho. But it could just be there are too few involved over here for the system to work like it should.

I.e. "too hard" is usually measured by a visibly hard hit to the head. The body I have seen and felt is free game. As long as you're not a pansy or go down from a strong wind, people seem to hit the **** out of you when they go for the body. Though with the rules this is not strictly needed, it simply gives an advantage for later in the game if you get a good hit.

Striking on the ground wouldn't make a humongous difference when the timelimit is so small. It would only encourage more stalling from the person on the bottom imho. Tie them up and wait etc. Of course it all depends on strategy, but I wish there was a way to simply cancel out weasly attempts as early as possible.

And newaza time should be 1 minute yes. I personally would make it MORE. Maybe 1 and a half. Yeah it may sound like it'll get boring when people have no idea what to do or simply stall, especially to watch for people who are more interested in standing, but then again it's JJ ffs. And this WILL open up for more warnings and point deductions for being passive. In fact the whole points system should be revamped to glorify submissions or perfect throws too, but that's a whole different story.

All of this is probably reason enough why when I've beaten the people I want to beat, I'll probably never do SportJJ again and stick with BJJ. I've had my last temper tantrum like a little baby whenever I see judges stand guys up just as the game is moving along. Completely freaks me out.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 3:12pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 8:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the pankration stuff. I asked around and for some reason Pankration even amateur pankration is illegal in Ontario. Which makes no sense because Sport Jiu Jitsu is so simillar.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12