Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:29am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    If you already have an answer, there's certainly no point in me going on about why. The fact that you won't disclose who you train with, in public or PM, is indicative of where you stand.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    I was simply trying to understand why you are saying Delayed Sword should be taugh specifically for a grab when it seems to me that the movement is used for many simple attacks.

I've read many of your posts on various boards, Clyde. Your Even-If, your gelatinous phase, seen your advanced version of Delayed Sword. I had hoped that you could give me a more solid example of why you do things certain ways and this seemed like the easiest example to use.

You've said many times that how you act and what you say and do has no reflection on your instructor. That's fine, but instead of showing me where I am wrong in my thoughts you need to know who my instructor is, and when I say it doesn't matter you dismiss me because you know where I stand?

That's actually what I was expecting from you. Why not take me at the content of my question rather than who I know? My instructor is Ryer, the one in the vid.

Does that change any of the problems I have with your statement about why Delayed Sword should be taught for a grab? No, it doesn't.

Is this going to cause more problems than if you'd just answered what I was asking? More than likely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Now, it may not be the answer you wanted but he did answer your question.
    Which is why I said I probably wasn't as specific as I could be and tried again to get my point across. Specifically both techniques are basically the same thing for different attacks which is at odds with saying 'this is why techniques are taught certain ways'.

I'm seriously just trying to understand how he's seeing this.

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 2:08am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty
    I was simply trying to understand why you are saying Delayed Sword should be taugh specifically for a grab when it seems to me that the movement is used for many simple attacks.

I've read many of your posts on various boards, Clyde. Your Even-If, your gelatinous phase, seen your advanced version of Delayed Sword. I had hoped that you could give me a more solid example of why you do things certain ways and this seemed like the easiest example to use.

You've said many times that how you act and what you say and do has no reflection on your instructor. That's fine, but instead of showing me where I am wrong in my thoughts you need to know who my instructor is, and when I say it doesn't matter you dismiss me because you know where I stand?

That's actually what I was expecting from you. Why not take me at the content of my question rather than who I know? My instructor is Ryer, the one in the vid.

Does that change any of the problems I have with your statement about why Delayed Sword should be taught for a grab? No, it doesn't.

Is this going to cause more problems than if you'd just answered what I was asking? More than likely.
    If you had been forthcoming from the get go, I would've happily asnwered your question more in depth, you weren't. This is generally not a good sign when people say it has no bearing on the question, it absolutely does. And you can expect more of the same when it looks like bait.

The answer to your question lies in the width. By mirror imaging in Sword of Destruction, you're not crossing centerline without a height cancellation, should they fake, you have the option of stepping back and removing the depth and width zones. If I do Delayed Sword for a Punch, I use the equation formula, kick/crane hand pull down simultaneously without stepping back but rather moving my left foot offline to 5, then chop.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you had been forthcoming from the get go, I would've happily asnwered your question more in depth, you weren't. This is generally not a good sign when people say it has no bearing on the question, it absolutely does. And you can expect more of the same when it looks like bait.

The answer to your question lies in the width. By mirror imaging in Sword of Destruction, you're not crossing centerline without a height cancellation, should they fake, you have the option of stepping back and removing the depth and width zones. If I do Delayed Sword for a Punch, I use the equation formula, kick/crane hand pull down simultaneously without stepping back but rather moving my left foot offline to 5, then chop.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I still really don't see how who taught me has any bearing as I (admittedly after a few attempts at clarifying what I meant) was just looking for a more solid explaination of your claim.

I get about stepping back if they grab and pulling them from their base for Delayed Sword. It just seems like the video was showing Delayed Sword should be taught for a grab because they could tackle you which contradics the same basic movement being taught for a punch later.

Still not on the same page, but at the very least this gives me more of an explaination than just the video which is all I was trying to get.

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 4:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty
    I still really don't see how who taught me has any bearing as I (admittedly after a few attempts at clarifying what I meant) was just looking for a more solid explaination of your claim.

I get about stepping back if they grab and pulling them from their base for Delayed Sword. It just seems like the video was showing Delayed Sword should be taught for a grab because they could tackle you which contradics the same basic movement being taught for a punch later.

Still not on the same page, but at the very least this gives me more of an explaination than just the video which is all I was trying to get.

I told you it wouldn't make a difference if I did explain it. I'm assuming you haven't tried it the way I suggested either, with a pinning hand as you step back.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Put down your purse!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 7:04am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But what would you do afterwards LOL?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    I was planning on a deadly combination of getting punched in the face and maybe a little falling on the ground. At least the vulnerability of your front leg would be exposed! Ha-ha! :)

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 7:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I was planning on a deadly combination of getting punched in the face and maybe a little falling on the ground. At least the vulnerability of your front leg would be exposed! Ha-ha! :)

I use to use that combo, and indeed, it does work well LOL. I have pictures of a huge bruise on my leg from a cage fighter that kept kicking my leg. It didn't end up well for him.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34937993477_0_1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	5847  

Put down your purse!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 8:41am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think i prefer pictures of Kidspatula's legs!

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:18am

Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Royce should have trained with Clyde

Prior to the meeting with Matt Hughes? Yes/no?:new_silly

:laughing6 :new_uklia

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2006 8:42pm

Style: American Style Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I told you it wouldn't make a difference if I did explain it. I'm assuming you haven't tried it the way I suggested either, with a pinning hand as you step back.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    We are taught to pin the hand now. Nice explanation from before btw, makes good sense.

I was wondering if you had a website or something Clyde? I am planning to go to America next year for the Speakman camp at lake Arrowhead and it would be good if I would be able to meet you, and if possible train maybe with your students?

Cheers,

Panda
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456