Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/26/2006 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    You mentioned SL4 shouldn't be done off a punch but instead off a grab to the wrist , arm , or lapel . I am of the belief the SL4 just shouldn't be there at all ... atleast as I have seen it done . Every single video I have seen of Sub Level 4 ( Delayed Sword ) I hadve seen , up till know , was completely compliant and unrealistic .

I don't understand how the techniques contained within it are worth teaching if they are taught in other combos . I drill difficult and counter intuitive striking drills in order to get a better grasp of the techniques and striking in awkward positions , but I try to make it as close to realistic as possible .
    I don't do SL4, and as a matter of fact, I don't endorse what they do, I don't even think it's Kenpo anymore. The attack in the vid is correct, but how they do DS and how I do it, apples and oranges. I'll have to find another clip of Delayed Sword, it used to be on my website but I let that go cuz I broke up with the chick that was webmaster and it wasn't getting updated.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 6:24am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's funny now, the Kenpo guys are saying how lame the takedown was that I used, and it was a half assed takedown for a half assed technique. Thing is, I wasn't teaching takedowns, and in fact, did it very sloppily simply to illustrate the point that Delayed Sword should not be used for a punch. I wasn't going full bore, and neither was the guy doing the tech. Chapel even says it looks like the guy had a pretty good headlock on at the end. You see where I'm going with these Kenpo guys, circular logic?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Last edited by Clyde; 5/31/2006 6:27am at .
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    Makes me feel bad if I've cheated 'em out of an ass whoopin' LOL, and they love it.
    I always felt cheated if I left a training session without bruises, cuts or some other injury. Theory is nice, but we must do application to actually learn anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2006 2:51am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...simply to illustrate the point that Delayed Sword should not be used for a punch.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    If Delayed Sword shouldn't be used for a punch why is Sword of Destruction taught for one?

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/02/2006 10:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clyde, good to see that you have the regulation kempo mullet coming along there.

If Kempoka, reknowned grapplers that they are, want to take the piss out of your take-down form, I'd like to see them try SL4 against a better shoot. Is there a Kempo forum you're posting this on or something? If so, link for our amusement please.

That vid should be spliced with some fottage of the same technique as it's commonly taught and narrated so that no-one can take it out of context. Then you have somehing that ciuld actually make a difference in the Kempo world. Until then I fear people will choose to ignore the obvious.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2006 2:41pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, let's be honest, the takedown was not that great.

How that helps defend the technique or takes away from the demo is beyond me though as a better takedown would have been worse for the other guy...

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2006 2:52pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Green
    Well, let's be honest, the takedown was not that great.

How that helps defend the technique or takes away from the demo is beyond me though as a better takedown would have been worse for the other guy...
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Not like Clyde admitted that himself.

What's funny now, the Kenpo guys are saying how lame the takedown was that I used, and it was a half assed takedown for a half assed technique. Thing is, I wasn't teaching takedowns, and in fact, did it very sloppily simply to illustrate the point that Delayed Sword should not be used for a punch. I wasn't going full bore, and neither was the guy doing the tech. Chapel even says it looks like the guy had a pretty good headlock on at the end. You see where I'm going with these Kenpo guys, circular logic?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/02/2006 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you guys talk about SL4 Delayed Sword, do you mean this? http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=delayed+sword
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2006 4:18pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, there is no way in hell that this can be any form of reality based training whatsoever. I already knew that there were bad schools in CMAs and JMAs, but I didn't realize that Kenpo was THIS bad.

So the whole Jeff Speakman stuff is only for the movies, huh? Geez, do people really think that any of this will work?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/02/2006 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    When you guys talk about SL4 Delayed Sword, do you mean this? http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=delayed+sword

Wow even Aikido has better grabbing techniques for that.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast