Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 9:29pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of BJJ schools may teach you how to strike but that doesn´t mean BJJ, the style, has strikes. In BJJ competitions you are not allowed to strike.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 10:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think by now its been established over the years that a good grappler be it a wrestler/Judo player/BJJ player will rip apart a pure striker. My first lesson of Judo taught me this aswell.

Watch any MMA fight especially in Pride. Fights are still won by knockouts becuase they are easy fight enders. But those fighters who are striking orientated still cross train heavily in grappling. Not only to give them the option of a pin or submission but to AVOID being taken down and thus allowing them to strike more successfully.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:07pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    ....wrestler/Judo player/BJJ player will rip apart a pure striker
    ... Fights are still won by knockouts becuase they are easy fight enders.
    O rly?

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    I think by now its been established over the years that a good grappler be it a wrestler/Judo player/BJJ player will rip apart a pure striker. My first lesson of Judo taught me this aswell.

Watch any MMA fight especially in Pride. Fights are still won by knockouts becuase they are easy fight enders. But those fighters who are striking orientated still cross train heavily in grappling. Not only to give them the option of a pin or submission but to AVOID being taken down and thus allowing them to strike more successfully.
    Thats a bit off topic. But for your information strikers coming from a K-1 background have been doing extremely well in MMA lately. Mark Hunt, Melvin Manhoef and obviously Cro Cop to name a few. They´ve been more succesful than AC/DC champs who are pure grapplers like Pe De Mano. And before some Captain Obvious decides to go and point out that they cross-train and grapplers like Noguera are teh **** then really, don´t bother. I know that. This is MMA.

Genius

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jzs/Tai Chi/Whodini loses again.

Genius

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    before some Captain Obvious decides to go and point out that they cross-train and grapplers like Noguera are teh **** then really, don´t bother. I know that. This is MMA.
    So pure-strikers don't fare well in MMA, where-as pure grapplers do ok?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    It's safe to say that over 4% KOs and TKOs were due to strikes on the ground, which require grappling.

Besides, tai chi wins 0% of the time so I don't see what point you're trying to make.
    It also could be that the UFC is standing folks up more and more frequently due to stupid rules, meaning less subs and more KOs.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Genius

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer striking myself, but I can also admit that if a grappler wants you on the ground ( and if you don't cross-train in takedowns) you'll be on the ground.

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    So pure-strikers don't fare well in MMA, where-as pure grapplers do ok?
    Riiight, thats what I´m saying, because Nogueira is a "pure" grappler :rolleyes:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:47pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of BJJ schools may teach you how to strike but that doesn´t mean BJJ, the style, has strikes. In BJJ competitions you are not allowed to strike.
    Watch Gracies in Action and STFU please. You don't know dick. BJJ has existed a hell of alot longer as a style than current BJJ competitions have. The standard old school Gracie method of fucking an opponent up was mount, strike until he gives up his back, then RNC.
    They´ve been more succesful than AC/DC champs who are pure grapplers like Pe De Mano.
    Pe De Pano has been fighting MMA for less than a year, and is 2-1, with the only loss being a split decision, and he has a win over a former UFC heavyweight championship. Let's give him a little while longer before we start making broad generalizations about how successful his 6 month MMA career has been.

Edit: Former BJJ world champ Fabricio Werdum has been pretty successful in PRIDE despite limited striking skill.
    Last edited by Meager; 5/25/2006 11:53pm at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast