Style
    Judo newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

good schools in Tucson, AZ - once more, with feeling

Hello, Bullshido forumites, I figure I should post here at least once before offering my ass in the other forums again. I've been lurking for quite a few months reading old and new posts, so I'm kind of understanding what to expect.

So about me first - it's pretty much covered in my profile, but for those like me who are too lazy to actually look at such things. I used to train in TKD, but this was years ago - so now I'm out of practice in my horrid style. The school I went to was IMO decent, as in were were consistently able to humiliate other schools (I've seen the green belts take out blacks, then get reprimanded for going "too hard" in sparring), but then this seems to be the attitude of all TKDers, so what is this anecdote worth? I have taken a few months of BJJ, but not under anyone I would confidently say is a certified BJJ trainer. The only thing I can say is I absolutely love groundfighting - bring on the lava. Right now I'm helping a friend get back into teaching Kenpo, but after seeing and reading what Matt Thornton had to say, I'm a little nonplussed with what he's doing. I feel it will be difficult to incorporate any live training into my friend's routine, but I'm too polite to simply blow him off. So I go to his sessions to at least be active while looking for another place.

So this brings up two questions, one of which I was hoping would be answered in the last Tucson thread, but that was made by an idiot and quickly went down in flames.

1) Does anyone know of some decent training in the Tucson, AZ area?
    2) What is the best way to gently tell someone the thing they've been doing for quite some time isn't helping anyone and should be stopped faster than an attempt to rape a gerbil with a 40 oz.?

Oh, and before you decide to say so (go ahead and do it anyway - bottling up derision is bad for the colon), I have seen the large flaws in my TKD training, mostly from a friendly street spar with a friend that basically casually strolled through any upper-defense I had and backfisted me in the nose...three times in a row. Then he proceeded to explain that kicking is meant to have power - you know, by kicking me. In my defense I had only trained a year and he had been at MT and Kenpo for about 15, but it DID have the benefit of my brain going "You know, you might want to look into this MT stuff."

That was the other thing, to narrow the search down, I'm really interested in taking MT and BJJ more than anything, but at this point anything that will actually let me hit someone is worth it.

Style
    na
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Debrazil Jujutsu academy.

Its run by Martin who is a BJJ blackbelt and I know a lot of the guys from his club. Good place to train and classes are 6 or 7 days a week. http://debraziljiujitsu.com/

Style
    Judo newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other side of town, but thank you very much nonetheless. I will see if I can arrange something in my schedule.

Style
    TKD, Ballet, Archery
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skip MA, go to Eegee's.

Style
    na
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What side of town do you live on then? There is the Kodenkan and the Rendokan for Judo. I am not sure of the quality though.

If I was in Tucson, I would make the drive or bus ride to the BJJ. The crew of guys they have is top notch and I think they have no gi as well.

Style
    Parker Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna
    Hello, Bullshido forumites, I figure I should post here at least once before offering my ass in the other forums again. I've been lurking for quite a few months reading old and new posts, so I'm kind of understanding what to expect.

So about me first - it's pretty much covered in my profile, but for those like me who are too lazy to actually look at such things. I used to train in TKD, but this was years ago - so now I'm out of practice in my horrid style. The school I went to was IMO decent, as in were were consistently able to humiliate other schools (I've seen the green belts take out blacks, then get reprimanded for going "too hard" in sparring), but then this seems to be the attitude of all TKDers, so what is this anecdote worth? I have taken a few months of BJJ, but not under anyone I would confidently say is a certified BJJ trainer. The only thing I can say is I absolutely love groundfighting - bring on the lava. Right now I'm helping a friend get back into teaching Kenpo, but after seeing and reading what Matt Thornton had to say, I'm a little nonplussed with what he's doing. I feel it will be difficult to incorporate any live training into my friend's routine, but I'm too polite to simply blow him off. So I go to his sessions to at least be active while looking for another place.

So this brings up two questions, one of which I was hoping would be answered in the last Tucson thread, but that was made by an idiot and quickly went down in flames.

1) Does anyone know of some decent training in the Tucson, AZ area?
    2) What is the best way to gently tell someone the thing they've been doing for quite some time isn't helping anyone and should be stopped faster than an attempt to rape a gerbil with a 40 oz.?

Oh, and before you decide to say so (go ahead and do it anyway - bottling up derision is bad for the colon), I have seen the large flaws in my TKD training, mostly from a friendly street spar with a friend that basically casually strolled through any upper-defense I had and backfisted me in the nose...three times in a row. Then he proceeded to explain that kicking is meant to have power - you know, by kicking me. In my defense I had only trained a year and he had been at MT and Kenpo for about 15, but it DID have the benefit of my brain going "You know, you might want to look into this MT stuff."

That was the other thing, to narrow the search down, I'm really interested in taking MT and BJJ more than anything, but at this point anything that will actually let me hit someone is worth it.

I live in Tucson as well and the hands down best place to train in BJJ is the DeBrazilJiuJitsu academy. go to www.debraziljiujitsu.com to check em out. You wont be dissappointed.

Style
    Judo newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where in Tucson do you live? I live basically around Glen & 1st Ave., but the main problem isn't location (Tucson is FLAT - I can ride a bike aynwhere) it's resources - that whole vow of poverty thing really messes with trying to afford classes. Right now, while very appreciative of the information, it is mostly academic, as my lifestyle is not one where I could put in serious training. However, I am still quite interested and would like to know my options if I ever move out of the temple. Or, if any practicioners of aliveness would like a new meat bag to hit, I am a willing partner and can offer great restaurant meals either for free or rather cheap in return for lessons.