Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    New MMA fans are idiots, but there are also plenty of old MMA fans that are also idiots. I sure we've all been to Sherdog's forums.
    Quoted for truth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 2:58pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Japanese are MMA fans, they tend to be knowledgeable about the sport and understand what’s going on in the ring. In Japan a guy will pull off a nice sweep or combination of submission attempts and the crowd applauds in appreciation. In the US as soon as the fight hits the ground after about 10 seconds people are shouting “Stand them up!” and the ever popular “Stop fucking him in the ass!”.

On the other hand many/most of the Americans are not really MMA fans. They don’t really want to see MMA the just want to see knockouts and hopefully maybe see someone carted out on a stretcher for their price of admission. They don’t want to see grappling, they don’t want to see submissions, and they don’t want to see any clinching. What they want to see is two guys standing toe to toe whaling away until someone gets knocked out. The sad reality is if the UFC instituted a 30 second ground timer (and even that would be too long for most of these “fans”) had the guys wrap their hands like a cast and wear 8 ounce gel pack gloves (hard as a friggin rock) they would be even more popular.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 6:01pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea I usually have to stop and explain to my friends whats happening as soon as an MMA fight hits the ground. They are 100% clueless but they like the KO Highlight vids.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today's North American fans are "UFC" fans not MMA fans. However some of them as they become more educated will become more MMA fans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:19pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly, I grew up around abunch of people that thought "Tank" Abbott was the greatest fighter ever....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 8:13pm

Style: BJJ, WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldust
    . . . In the US as soon as the fight hits the ground after about 10 seconds people are shouting “Stand them up!” and the ever popular “Stop fucking him in the ass!” . . .
    I hate to admit it, but America's probably the most homophobic nation in the world. I really think every person who goes to a UFC tournament should have to fill out a waiver, and anyone who insults a fighter should have to survive 60 seconds in the ring with them.

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 8:38pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An "Any romophobia and we'll beat the **** out of you" waiver?

I'm down with that. People going to watch a MMA event and bitching that its not a boxing match and/or it involves something of which they are ignorant is not only pathetic, but characteristic of morons. They deserves a good shoeing, I tells ya.

Let them roll, and STFU. I want to see to extremely technical wrestling and jiujitsu. Its awesome. I want to see people kick the crap out of each other. That's awesome too. When somebody whines at high amplitude about the fight not being the fight they want to see, they distract me. It's annoying and stupid.

I guess if it didn't go out of its way to appeal to idiots, UFC might not have so many come and watch the fights. Less idiots in english speaking MMA crowds should do wonders for MMA.

If we discount the effect of the loss of earnings.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GranoblasticMan
    I hate to admit it, but America's probably the most homophobic nation in the world.
    You are about as wrong as you can be on this one. Homosexuals have a lot more rights in America than in many, many other countries.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    You are about as wrong as you can be on this one. Homosexuals have a lot more rights in America than in many, many other countries.
    The fact that homosexuals have rights does not minimize the fact that romophobia is prevalent, or at least condoned. Wasn't it just a few years ago that a transvestite teen was beaten and left to die in the snow just because he was a transvestite???? Should I remind everyone that "christian" fundamentalism is pretty common and that it believes gays are the work of the devil and that 9/11 was God's punishment to America because it condones homosexuality??? (BTW, I wrote "christian" in quotations marks because that fundamentalist nutty ideology has nothing to do with modern Christianity.)

I would also dare to say that bicuriosity is pretty common behind the closets... ergo all the romophobics we see... you know, the romophic chest-pounding and macho posturing a lot of dudes do is nothing more than subconscious self-loathing and a desperate attempt to hide the fact that they are closet romos.

I'm derailing the thread a bit, so let me stop here to remind you the following: don't make the mistake to think that just because homosexuals have rights it is a sign of tolerance towards them.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 10:43pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn Anthony your avatar has me transfixed.

Back on topic, I see this A LOT when I go over to this guy I know's house to watch UFC. Him and his brother making ignorant ass comments the WHOLE time get old pretty quick. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay to watch UFC.

Oh, uh, just who is that rather captivating lady in the pic?
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast