Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 5:58pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no such thing as a bad boob, it may not be as good as others, but there is never a bad boob.

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 6:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think shinbushi's kids could probably kick the ass of most 15th dans in the org.

When it comes to ego it's people that avoid ever having to confront it through rolling that have the biggest ones.

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65
    I just wonder what the point of seminars like that is. Are guys all happy to let him just do a predetermined counter on them? At the seminars I've been to, the guy giving it will actually roll with the people there. It's not all, 'ok now I armbar you. Next. ok, I'll rnc you, etc'. It's live rolling. I could go to a pro wrestling school and let them throw me around for free. The idiots at the Hatsumi one probably paid ALOT of $$$ to be a throwing dummy. sad.
    The point of those seminars is to watch a performance. It seems t3h suck to us but remember that 99% of the audience believes that what they are watching translates to real fighting.

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:05pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm watching an episode of mind body and kick ass moves right now to watch hatsumi and some ninjas.

The "dojo test"-

He's got a sword, and is getting the host to roll around and attempt to avoid hatsumi swinging his daikatana.

His next trick...

Now using chopsticks as a weapon. Compliant show host.

He's laughing his ass off whilst stabbing the guy who's basically standing doing nothing.

As an aside the host's animal forms are well-honed and quick. Doubt he spars much tho- didn't notice Hatsumi taking the piss out of him.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:11pm

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    When it comes to ego it's people that avoid ever having to confront it through rolling that have the biggest ones.
    I tend to get suspicious as soon as someone mentions someone else's ego, let alone bragging about their own humility. God (and I'm not even a believer!), that irks me.
    Sportfighters get a big ego because they get a belt and we're really humble and thus much better. Now watch me counter a lowkick by taking the kick and then giving a spinning back kick.

Err..I mean, I agree.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:53pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geijhan
    Only when he's not explaining how sportfighting gives you an ego, leading to you celebrating your world title in the bar and getting smashed by multiple opponents. After which he'll take the time to show you the counter to the patented sportfighter lowkick.

Edit: Looks like Shinbushi started making them vids. Here's the kids class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOHa3...earch=bujinkan
    Glad you found my commercial. we had a professional AV guy in the dojo a few years ago and he made it for us. Someday when I have the cash it is going on Cartoon network and Nickelodeon.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu-Ramma
    There's no such thing as a bad boob, it may not be as good as others, but there is never a bad boob.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Where can I get me some of them Tabi Boots to roll with, thems the r34l sh1ts.

EDIT: Aeso - maybe them would help me with the monkey and snail toe moves you recomended!!!!!!
    Here ya go: Jika Tabi

order here

Ok, seriously:

Jika Tabi

I sell them in my shop here in Seattle too...

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 10:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    The point of those seminars is to watch a performance. It seems t3h suck to us but remember that 99% of the audience believes that what they are watching translates to real fighting.

Thats the truth alright.

I cannot beleive people in the Bujinkan can't see this as bullshit. The way they teach their techniques is unrealistic. Coming in with a stupid predictable lunge punch and then just standing there and letting someone else hit you or throw you. How the **** does that translate into real fighting ?

I was not impressed by Hatsumi's demonstration. I was not impressed at all. He was just doing techniques to unrealistic attacks. People where just standing there letting him put the technique on. I would want to see some sparring and practice against someone who is resisting. Why can't those fools see this ?

Bullshido.com has a large presence in the martial arts community. I can only hope there are Bujinkan instructors out there who read this and see the light. I can only hope they are nodding thier heads saying "Hey, these guys are right !! We DO need sparring".

I hope they come to their senses and ditch the stupid lunge punch. I hope they understand the way they are training is unrealistic and without sparring your martial art is worthless.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 1:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fatherdog for t3h win!

I was going to suggest "Janet Reno," but that picture required bleach in my eyes!

As for the more serious points: indeed.

I first heard of Haynes and his "37th in line Whatever" many, many years ago from a student. He showed a book by Haynes that claimed you could detect and influence people from a distance. "Bullshit!" I declared. The point is my friend wanted to believe in it.

Since that time, I have met a few ninjas. Who does not want to believe it? For many, martial arts is a nice diversion from an ordinary life. Put on a costume, pretend you are a warrior. Resistance training introduces a "check"--years ago I was "t3h d34dly" until I actually applied techniques on bags . . . then I got up from the floor and realized I was "t3h suk."

Those in this delusion wish to avoid such realization. Sparing, resistance training, all the way to competition means tests techniques and skills. It exposes limitations. There is a temptation in schools and styles as they grow to "water down" such realizations to maintain students--people wanting to buy into the fantasy.

Now it seems Haynes has "woken up" to what his teacher has been selling. Has he woken up to what he has been selling?

--J.D.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast