Page 11 of 15 First ... 789101112131415 Last
    Style
    Being a total psychopath
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wheres the Genbukan and Jinekan bashing?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're building up to it. Just like how you have to go through the kata before you learn to fight, you must first learn bujinkan bashing.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wheres the Genbukan and Jinekan bashing?
    Genbukan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8pef...earch=Genbukan

Not exactly Mixed Martial Arts, but my experience in the Genbukan was positive.

Of course everything starts compliant (hell, new BJJ techniques start compliant), then the resistance is ramped up until you are literally attacking each other full speed.

The "Angles of Resistance" aren't exactly dynamic as, say, sparring or randori. I knew how they'd attack, and I knew what technique I needed to use...but if I didn't perform it strong enough, then I'd end up getting hurt.

Some techniques were difficult to train fully resistant, and I wasn't exactly sure of their efficacy because of that. Most of the Genbukan techniques were extremely "Japanese Jujutsu" in appearance and use, though, so the basis was sound if a little bit dated.

While my specific group didn't "Spar", we did randori and used "Sparring" drills to work on some techniques in a fluid environment.

For instance, the first two kyu ranks involve a LOT of evasions against a sword. Once we were tested on them to ensure understanding, we would work on "Sword Attack Drills". Basically, one of the sempai would grab a shinai and chase me around the park. I'd have to use the evasions to avoid the attacks, which grew quicker and quicker until I was literally juking and weaving like a basketball match.

It was a shinai, so even a full-power swing merely hurt unless it hit the face, but it allowed us to practice evasions in a relatively "Alive" scenario.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Respectfully, why in God's name would you want to learn "evasions against a sword"? What's the point? Did you literally have nothing else in your life that demanded your time?

Style
    BBT/Flinging poo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnother
    Respectfully, why in God's name would you want to learn "evasions against a sword"? What's the point? Did you literally have nothing else in your life that demanded your time?

Um, it's fun. It's better than vegging in front of the TV. It beats shooting up. Why do you do what you do? :pancakebu

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can dodge a sword, you can dodge a ball.

Style
    BBT/Flinging poo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :laughing4

I'd prefer to try dodging a ball, less chance of a haircut.

Style
    Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    Um, it's fun. It's better than vegging in front of the TV. It beats shooting up. Why do you do what you do? :pancakebu
    The point is: why not spend your sword-dodging time working on things that you are much more likely to encounter in real life?

Style
    Being a total psychopath
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    If you can dodge a sword, you can dodge a ball.
    Kumi Tachi?

Style
    BBT/Flinging poo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow
    The point is: why not spend your sword-dodging time working on things that you are much more likely to encounter in real life?
    Well if that were the only criteria for what I should train in, I should be learning how to deal with idiot drivers that have cell phones growing out of their ears, paper cuts, dying from the heat and lack of AC in my office, cleaning up after my idiot dog when he can't seem to remember what his doggy door is for, etc.

Most people will never get into a real fight, so why train at all???

Page 11 of 15 First ... 789101112131415 Last