New Zealand University Ninja Club

Release Your Inner Ninja
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

March 31, 2006
At long last, college students in New Zealand have a legitimate excuse to release their inner ninjas.

Ninjasoc — a social club reserved exclusively for those with a penchant for parading around in black pajamas, ridding the world of evildoers — is taking Canterbury University by storm, New Zealand’s Stuff reports.

The masterminds behind the martial arts madness say their quirky club started as a joke, but quickly ballooned to include 250 members.

Plastic ninja sword-brandishing Michael Down, one of the founding four, says the club taps into people’s secret need to be ninjas.

"You always, as a young man, want to be a ninja or a pirate. I guess we just made it a club and people thought, 'That looks like fun,'" he said.

Fun indeed.

The society’s Web site even goes as far as to claim "the only thing cooler than your mum in this crazy world is a ninja.”

But the club isn’t so much a group of skilled and stealthy fighters as it is a bunch of people who just want to have a good time.

"I don't think they are a secret bunch of real ninjas. I think they do stuff that is more ninja-aimed. I don't really know what, but they have had a couple of barbecues. Ninjas have to eat," University of Canterbury Students' Association president Warren Poh said.
GG