Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    TKD Black Belt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In a van down by the river.
    Posts
    2,229
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    Hey Jaric,

    You might have misunderstood the instructor. Elbows are illegal in Ontario, except for "A" Class fights. They wear elbow pads, but are indeed legal. Each province has their own sanctioning rules. Ours in Ontario are governed by CAMTAO. I know Alberta allows elbows for "A" class fights as well. To the best of my knowledge, knees to the head are illegal across the country, but I can only speak for Ontario.
    Don't quote me on this but I'm reasonably sure that I've been to fights in Alberta under 'Full Muay Thai' rules that had elbows without pads. I guess it comes down to how long you want to wait for the KO? Slowly as I punch you into numbness or off of a good elbow where you can still order your beer that night without slurring your words.

    TKD

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    759
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering how long kickboxing was banned in Ontario, why are you surprised that there are restrictions on MT?

  3. #13
    Meager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    979
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Don't quote me on this but I'm reasonably sure that I've been to fights in Alberta under 'Full Muay Thai' rules that had elbows without pads. I guess it comes down to how long you want to wait for the KO? Slowly as I punch you into numbness or off of a good elbow where you can still order your beer that night without slurring your words.
    Elbows don't cause KOs nearly as much as they cause TKO due to cuts.

    And no I don't need to see video of elbow KOs, thanks anyway. I realize they can cause KOs but elbow KOs are rare.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    352
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Considering how long kickboxing was banned in Ontario, why are you surprised that there are restrictions on MT?"


    Im new to this whole kickboxing thing. How long has kickboxing been banned in ON?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    759
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A moratorium(fancy word for ban) was placed onkickboxing in Ontario in 1983. The
    committe that did so realised that they couldn't ban kickboxing and allow boxing to continue, so their suggestion for kickboxing was that it be put under the athletics control act. They reccomendation was that fighter's purses, expenses and fees be deposited with the OAC, 21 days prior to the event. They also reccomended that if a knockout occurred, the promoter was to pay for a neurological and psychometric examanation, an EKG and CT scan. For promoters, who often paid their fighters out of gate receipts, the reccomendations would be crippling.

    The above is paraphrased from Perry Kelly's new book on Jean-Yves Theriault, called Iceman.

    Ever wonder why the world champion kickboxer didn't fight out of his home town for years? why use the Verdun Auditorium instead of the Ottawa Civic Center like they used to?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    923
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    A moratorium(fancy word for ban) was placed onkickboxing in Ontario in 1983. The
    committe that did so realised that they couldn't ban kickboxing and allow boxing to continue, so their suggestion for kickboxing was that it be put under the athletics control act.
    Corrupt much?

    **** that sport , but I better take care of the one I watch and from which I get fat bribes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    They reccomendation was that fighter's purses, expenses and fees be deposited with the OAC, 21 days prior to the event. They also reccomended that if a knockout occurred, the promoter was to pay for a neurological and psychometric examanation, an EKG and CT scan. For promoters, who often paid their fighters out of gate receipts, the reccomendations would be crippling.
    That is sabotage, whether or not that was the aim of the legislation.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

    I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

    Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    759
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardHitBack
    Corrupt much?

    **** that sport , but I better take care of the one I watch and from which I get fat bribes.



    That is sabotage, whether or not that was the aim of the legislation.
    That IS the aim of the legislation. Boxing was/is too entrenched in sport and society to eliminate, but kickboxing was a relatively new sport at the time. In an effort to save ourselves from ourselves, they effectively banned it from the province, despite having no medical reason for doing so. In the same time frame,
    prior to the ban, Gaetan Hart, a boxer ,put one opponent into a coma, and killed another opponent(Cleveland Denny) in the ring. Boxing was never banned, nor were the reccomendations about depositng purses, etc, and the medical costs of a knockout for a promoter ever suggested for boxing.

    It is not about being fair or reasonable, it is about making sure what is entrenched stays that way.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    99
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Jaric,

    I was speaking with a guy who trained and fought in Thailand for several years, and he mentioned that in many of the matches bewteen the boxers, they limit the amount of contact using elbows (gentlemans rules). The reason - becuase for fighters to fight as often as every 3 weeks, they would prefer to remain cut-free. If foreign boxers, however, decided to come for a match, the flying knees and elbows would almost always come out.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    352
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol those sneaky Thai picking on the ignorant white foreigners again......

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    923
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    That IS the aim of the legislation.
    I'm aware of that. Didn't want to leave any wiggle room for some statist to say it was for the benefit of the sport, in that it protected fighters, or for some smart alek to tell me to take my tinfoil hat off.

    There's always one in every crowd that will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    In an effort to save ourselves from ourselves, they effectively banned it from the province, despite having no medical reason for doing so.
    Which was real nice of them and all. Don't you just love it when some takes a decision out of your hands for your own benefit. Its nice to be looked after.

    Do you have many Thai fighters come fight out in Canada under full thai rules?
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

    I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

    Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO