223534 Bullies, 3620 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 9:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Ninja
    I just started this, and I thought it was pretty cool and effective. I mean, it has real world techniques, the sensei tells us what is effective and how this and that wouldn't work in the real world, and what would work...isn't even the Taijutsu worth it?
    Every instructor will tell you what is and isn't effective in a real fight. The problem is that most of the time they're wrong. They don't have the slightest idea what would work because they've never been in a fight and their style has never been put to the test. Their knowledge of what does and doesn't work is passed down from their instructors, who also never fought.

I know where you train from previous conversations. I have trained with several of the guys who are senior members of the school, although it's been about 4 years since I visited. Honestly, the curriculum there at that time was the typical weak training that is usually associated with ninjutsu, to shin do, etc. There are much better places in the area to train if you want to have usable fighting skill. They'll also charge you about 1/2 the price.

Your school does have one thing going for it. One of your head instructors has actually stepped up and tested himself in MMA a couple of times and he did very well. So, he is familiar with the realities of fighting.

But, here's the dirty little secret. Guess where he really learned to fight? At the BJJ school that is located in the back of the fitness center in the same shopping center as your school. (Two doors down, I think). He's a blue belt in BJJ, and he wouldn't have the skills for MMA without his other training.

The question is whether what he has learned is filtering down to the students of his school, or if he is teaching his students the same old BS while pursuing more effective training for himself. I don't know the answer to that question, since I haven't visited in a while. I have heard through the grapevine that they've been doing some rolling there about once a week, which is a start.

One thing that is a little disappointing is that it looks like BJJ isn't getting any credit for what they're doing there. For instance, they continue to refer to the grappling as jutaijutsu instead of BJJ, which is kind of shitty, I think. But anyway, maybe some realistic training will filter down from him, or maybe he'll just take your money and let you pretend to be a ninja. I don't know. Just something to think about.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 9:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thinking of BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the information, I've been searching for a good place for years. Can you recommend some places? I'm going to check into the BJJ place you mentioned ASAP. You can PM me, if you'd rather.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 9:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sent you a PM.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:28am

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    You're already doing BJJ and MT. Its only a matter of time.:cya:
    :5eek:
    :seppuku:
    Last edited by shinbushi; 5/25/2006 11:31am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Resistance is futile. :new_borgs :new_borgs
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    But do you do any training with them though?
    They'll show me a lot of the stuff they've been going over and new things they picked up, I've been doing some Gyokko Ryu stuff with Jim and Ron a good bit too since they need it for nidan. Not that much though, to be honest.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 12:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Iv'e heard the toshindo guys spar, guess thats a plus.

Almost forgot: Video footage n00b! And welcome to bullshido. Enjoy your stay. :laughing1
    Thanks, Virus! I'll put up video as soon as I do some real sparring! Can't wait!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 1:30pm

Style: switched to Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading these last few posts I realized where you were talking about. I train at the BJJ place right next to the NC questcenter. You should really come check us out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 1:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximus
    After reading these last few posts I realized where you were talking about. I train at the BJJ place right next to the NC questcenter. You should really come check us out.
    I wll do so. You know, I didn't even know they had any kind of martial art there, and I didn't even think there was any BJJ in the area...I was resigned to TKD until I found To Shin Do. I'll be in next week, I have a link to the website now! Thanks!

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 2:43pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's such a thing as geriatric senility, and even the most ninja-esque of us humans is suceptible to it. I feel bad for the old guy - but at least he's going out enjoying what he does.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast