Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ko Uchi Gari on Taller Opponents

Is this a move that works against a much taller opponent? Say you are 5'5 and the other guy is 6'4? What about 6'0 and 6'4? Or 5'5 on a 6'0? I am mainly looking to see if anyone has experience with this move on taller opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm short (almost everyone is taller than me) and ko uchi is one of my highest percentage throws.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    Is this a move that works against a much taller opponent? Say you are 5'5 and the other guy is 6'4? What about 6'0 and 6'4? Or 5'5 on a 6'0? I am mainly looking to see if anyone has experience with this move on taller opponents.

This is one of the most effective takedowns in grappling. This works for both Hobbits and ogres and everyone in between.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I would say it's actually one of the moves that works best when someone is a foot taller actually.
    Ogoshi and some other lifting throws can be harder because your opponent can keep their feet on the ground when you are trying to lift them. Reaps and trips dont require lifting. You are just removin the leg they are standing on.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He would you guys go about setting it up on a taller opponent? The reason I am asking is because my instructor will be out the next few weeks and I've been working on this throw. And there is one person taller than me in class, but then we have someone in class who is shorter who is having trouble with them. I think the big issue we both have is getting the leg in range to strike. I assume this is just breaking that ultra defense wrestling posture?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He would you guys go about setting it up on a taller opponent? The reason I am asking is because my instructor will be out the next few weeks and I've been working on this throw. And there is one person taller than me in class, but then we have someone in class who is shorter who is having trouble with them. I think the big issue we both have is getting the leg in range to strike. I assume this is just breaking that ultra defense wrestling posture?

If they have bent over,hips back, Get a Georgian Grip and throw from there.

Grips are everything. Without the proper grips nothing works.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He would you guys go about setting it up on a taller opponent?
    For instance:

I think the big issue we both have is getting the leg in range to strike. I assume this is just breaking that ultra defense wrestling posture?
    What Rayce said.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    For instance:

What Rayce said.
    That's not kouchi gari, it's a a double leg trapping uke foot...

And I'd not do that on a much bigger opponent unless I wanted to be smashed badly. That uke isn't THAT much bigger than tori.

The arm-drag end you up in a similar position to attacking first with Ippon Seoi Nage and then following up with Kouchi Gari (or the makikomi version) when uke reacts to the rear to avoid the seoi nage.

My specialty throw was Kouchi Gari, and I threw a LOT of truly bigger, stronger opponents with it, BUT 90% of them were not as skilled as me.

You have to get a reaction to the rear from them, somehow, or it's a dicey proposition.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If they have bent over,hips back, Get a Georgian Grip and throw from there.

Grips are everything. Without the proper grips nothing works.
    Tru dat...

Which is why just looking at "takedowns" in isolation is OK, but not the total solution.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It can work on a taller opponent. However, often taller opponents can be harder to throw with it due to all the slack in their longer/taller bodies.

I wrote in a reply to Rayce, in this thread, that Kouchi Gari was my specialty throw in Judo. I'm 5'7" tall, so I have some experience using Kouchi Gari against guys shorter, same height, and taller (a lot taller) than me.

There are a different ways to do Kouchi Gari. The one I used to best effect on taller opponents usually involved a strong pull to the front of some sort, and then reversing into the Kouchi Gari when he reacts to the rear. Without that reaction, it's tough to pull off.

You CAN just dive/wrap into it, but in a BJJ context (I do BJJ too, but am only blue belt), you have to be careful you don't end up getting 2 points for a take-down but giving up your back.

That is where the arm-drag entry/grip is helpful.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last