Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    14
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Ko Uchi Gari on Taller Opponents

    Is this a move that works against a much taller opponent? Say you are 5'5 and the other guy is 6'4? What about 6'0 and 6'4? Or 5'5 on a 6'0? I am mainly looking to see if anyone has experience with this move on taller opponents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,289
    Style
    Jits
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm short (almost everyone is taller than me) and ko uchi is one of my highest percentage throws.

  3. #3
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,483
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    Is this a move that works against a much taller opponent? Say you are 5'5 and the other guy is 6'4? What about 6'0 and 6'4? Or 5'5 on a 6'0? I am mainly looking to see if anyone has experience with this move on taller opponents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is one of the most effective takedowns in grappling. This works for both Hobbits and ogres and everyone in between.

  4. #4
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,483
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    Is this a move that works against a much taller opponent? Say you are 5'5 and the other guy is 6'4? What about 6'0 and 6'4? Or 5'5 on a 6'0? I am mainly looking to see if anyone has experience with this move on taller opponents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would say it's actually one of the moves that works best when someone is a foot taller actually.
    Ogoshi and some other lifting throws can be harder because your opponent can keep their feet on the ground when you are trying to lift them. Reaps and trips dont require lifting. You are just removin the leg they are standing on.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    14
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He would you guys go about setting it up on a taller opponent? The reason I am asking is because my instructor will be out the next few weeks and I've been working on this throw. And there is one person taller than me in class, but then we have someone in class who is shorter who is having trouble with them. I think the big issue we both have is getting the leg in range to strike. I assume this is just breaking that ultra defense wrestling posture?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,483
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    He would you guys go about setting it up on a taller opponent? The reason I am asking is because my instructor will be out the next few weeks and I've been working on this throw. And there is one person taller than me in class, but then we have someone in class who is shorter who is having trouble with them. I think the big issue we both have is getting the leg in range to strike. I assume this is just breaking that ultra defense wrestling posture?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If they have bent over,hips back, Get a Georgian Grip and throw from there.

    Grips are everything. Without the proper grips nothing works.

  7. #7
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,289
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    He would you guys go about setting it up on a taller opponent?
    For instance:



    I think the big issue we both have is getting the leg in range to strike. I assume this is just breaking that ultra defense wrestling posture?
    What Rayce said.

  8. #8
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    15,725
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    For instance:




    What Rayce said.
    That's not kouchi gari, it's a a double leg trapping uke foot...

    And I'd not do that on a much bigger opponent unless I wanted to be smashed badly. That uke isn't THAT much bigger than tori.

    The arm-drag end you up in a similar position to attacking first with Ippon Seoi Nage and then following up with Kouchi Gari (or the makikomi version) when uke reacts to the rear to avoid the seoi nage.

    My specialty throw was Kouchi Gari, and I threw a LOT of truly bigger, stronger opponents with it, BUT 90% of them were not as skilled as me.

    You have to get a reaction to the rear from them, somehow, or it's a dicey proposition.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #9
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    15,725
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If they have bent over,hips back, Get a Georgian Grip and throw from there.

    Grips are everything. Without the proper grips nothing works.
    Tru dat...

    Which is why just looking at "takedowns" in isolation is OK, but not the total solution.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #10
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    15,725
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    Is this a move that works against a much taller opponent? Say you are 5'5 and the other guy is 6'4? What about 6'0 and 6'4? Or 5'5 on a 6'0? I am mainly looking to see if anyone has experience with this move on taller opponents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It can work on a taller opponent. However, often taller opponents can be harder to throw with it due to all the slack in their longer/taller bodies.

    I wrote in a reply to Rayce, in this thread, that Kouchi Gari was my specialty throw in Judo. I'm 5'7" tall, so I have some experience using Kouchi Gari against guys shorter, same height, and taller (a lot taller) than me.

    There are a different ways to do Kouchi Gari. The one I used to best effect on taller opponents usually involved a strong pull to the front of some sort, and then reversing into the Kouchi Gari when he reacts to the rear. Without that reaction, it's tough to pull off.

    You CAN just dive/wrap into it, but in a BJJ context (I do BJJ too, but am only blue belt), you have to be careful you don't end up getting 2 points for a take-down but giving up your back.

    That is where the arm-drag entry/grip is helpful.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in