Posted On:
    5/25/2006 5:45pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style vs. Style will soon be obsolete.

ALL OUR STYLES WILL BE OBSOLETE AGAINST THIS:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525/...dmBHNlYwM3NTM-

"Scientists ponder invisibility cloak By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer
    Thu May 25, 2:09 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Imagine an invisibility cloak that works just like the one Harry Potter inherited from his father.

ADVERTISEMENT

Researchers in England and the United States think they know how to do that. They are laying out the blueprint and calling for help in developing the exotic materials needed to build a cloak.

The keys are special manmade materials, unlike any in nature or the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. These materials are intended to steer light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation around an object, rendering it as invisible as something tucked into a hole in space.

"Is it science fiction? Well, it's theory and that already is not science fiction. It's theoretically possible to do all these Harry Potter things, but what's standing in the way is our engineering capabilities," said John Pendry, a physicist at the Imperial College London.

Details of the study, which Pendry co-wrote, appear in Thursday's online edition of the journal Science.

Scientists not involved in the work said it presents a solid case for making invisibility an attainable goal.

"This is very interesting science and a very interesting idea and it is supported on a great mathematical and physical basis," said Nader Engheta, a professor of electrical and systems engineering at the University of Pennsylvania. Engheta has done his own work on invisibility using novel materials called metamaterials.

Pendry and his co-authors also propose using metamaterials because they can be tuned to bend electromagnetic radiation radio waves and visible light, for example in any direction.

A cloak made of those materials, with a structure designed down to the submicroscopic scale, would neither reflect light nor cast a shadow.

Instead, like a river streaming around a smooth boulder, light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation would strike the cloak and simply flow around it, continuing on as if it never bumped up against an obstacle. That would give an onlooker the apparent ability to peer right through the cloak, with everything tucked inside concealed from view.

"Yes, you could actually make someone invisible as long as someone wears a cloak made of this material," said Patanjali Parimi, a Northeastern University physicist and design engineer at Chelton Microwave Corp. in Bolton, Mass. Parimi was not involved in the research.

Such a cloak does not exist, but early versions that could mask microwaves and other forms of electromagnetic radiation could be as close as 18 months away, Pendry said. He said the study was "an invitation to come and play with these new ideas."

"We will have a cloak after not too long," he said.

The Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency supported the research, given the obvious military applications of such stealthy technology.

While Harry Potter could wear his cloak to skulk around Hogwarts, a real-world version probably would not be something just to be thrown on, Pendry said.

"To be realistic, it's going to be fairly thick. Cloak is a misnomer. 'Shield' might be more appropriate," he said."

Point sparring TKD guys beating thai boxers, cats molesting dogs, no one has to look at michael jackson decompose while he is alive....

Crazy world it will be.

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 5:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Psh, I already knew DARPA had cloaking technology.

Didn't you play Metal gear solid? Geez.

j/k. That **** is way cool. I just hated all the Hairy Pooter references.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 6:14pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As soon as I saw "harry potter" I stopped reading. So we can cloak now? That means there might be someone right behind me right now and I wouldn't know about it?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 7:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you need to do is carry around boiling hot water (make people think you're drinking tea) and every so often throw it behind you.

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 9:30pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    What you need to do is carry around boiling hot water (make people think you're drinking tea) and every so often throw it behind you.
    A banana or some fresh loganberries would also work.

"Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 9:39pm

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all this will do is help dumbasses think they are ninjas because they can be stealthy.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When it comes to announcements like this "invisible" cloak thing... It always makes me think that either they have done it long ago and are getting ready to market the tech, or they have something in the works that is far more advanced than what ever "distraction" they are releasing to the gen public.

Why would you tell people that you can become invisible? If I had a fancy cloak like that, the last thing I would do would be tell someone about it.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 10:06pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That **** is all theory and no reality. This, however, is Japanese:

I hope that truckdriver can see me.
    I make a better window than a door.
    My invisibility still can't hide my dorkiness though.

Masamuni Shirow is given an honorable mention in the project: Optical Camouflage

Dagon

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 10:17pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Popular Science recently released an article saying complete invisibility is likely to remain fantasy.

Partial invisibility is a maybe in the future.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2006 1:19am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Popular Science recently released an article saying complete invisibility is likely to remain fantasy.

Partial invisibility is a maybe in the future.
    Partial invisibility already exists.

http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...oc-okugai3.mpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast